2017 - Non Yeo Discussion (Formerly Non Freo Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

West Coast might be able to Bradbury their way into a prelim. Cameron & Mumford out for the Giants.

Geez imagine the freak out from Seven and the Worst if that happens.

I couldn't see them backing up for a third week on the road in a row, at the MCG. A Richmond v West Coast prelim could get ugly.

West Coast might be able to Bradbury their way into a prelim. Cameron & Mumford out for the Giants.
Aw snap- I was just about to post the exact same thing - including the Bradbury reference.

* I had planned to refer to them as the Wiggles or Wet Toast though....

Aw snap- I was just about to post the exact same thing - including the Bradbury reference.

* I had planned to refer to them as the Wiggles or Wet Toast though....
I'm a mod so I have to set a good example and use their real name :(

The Giants have been too tall anyway, so Cameron out may be a +ve. Mumford is a loss though.
I'd have thought the other way around, Mumford isn't a huge loss, but a goal kicked like Cameron...

They lose both, and Lobb & Patton can rotate both duties and GWS go in with a shorter, quicker team and run the old, slow WCE off their feet.

Wouldn't be the worse thing. I'm not making excuses or anything, just being realistic. Wet toast are literally no threat to the flag, Richmond at the G' with 80+ plus, Adelaide or Sydney, pfft good luck. They beat an injury raddled GWS, then just imagine there fixture next year being a top 4 team. First pick could be #14, which isn't ideal when you're not challenging for a flag and losing Priddis + Mitchell. If they win, boooo, but I'll laugh at the consequences too.

I'd have thought the other way around, Mumford isn't a huge loss, but a goal kicked like Cameron...

They lose both, and Lobb & Patton can rotate both duties and GWS go in with a shorter, quicker team and run the old, slow WCE off their feet.

That's what Lloyd just said on 3aw, is that you lordo ??

You may as well extend your argument and say that all finals involving Freo and a Vic team should be played in Melb because it will get more people to the game, regardless if Freo are the higher placed team.

If Kardinia is good enough for H&A it is good enough for Finals. We've all been brainwashed into believing that the game must be played at the larger ground for the good of the supporters when all the AFL care about is the money it rakes in.

The thing is, money is a perfectly valid reason. It's a professional competition which exists for the purposes of making money. You could get used to it or go live in a kibbutz, suit yourself.

The FA Cup Final is held at Wembley every year for the same reasons.

+ Devon Smith returns = nippier forward line.

Eagles have good talls down back, but they openly admit that they need a good small negating back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again I hate the Cats and have not listened to what their supporters have to say on this matter.

Regardless of who attends and how many fans get locked out, fact is, the advantage went from the team who finished higher on the ladder to the lower placed team. No other sport in the world does this. If it happened in a US sports league there would have been rioting in the streets.

You may as well extend your argument and say that all finals involving Freo and a Vic team should be played in Melb because it will get more people to the game, regardless if Freo are the higher placed team.

If Kardinia is good enough for H&A it is good enough for Finals. We've all been brainwashed into believing that the game must be played at the larger ground for the good of the supporters when all the AFL care about is the money it rakes in.

Your logic is pretty skewed here, methinks.
Firstly, the only reason that Geelong finished so high on the ladder is that they have the easiest fixtures in the league, every bloody year.
To compound this advantage by allowing the team to also play their finals at the ground is a crazy notion.

Geelong get to play their finals at the MCG, where they play often enough during the year for it to be familiar. To extend that argument to making Freo play in Victoria for a home final is a very long bow.

You have clearly been brainwashed into thinking that Kardinya Park is good enough for H&A. It's not, not for a high drawing team anyway. Collingwood never play at KP, because it is in Geelong's interests to play them at the MCG.
You are blaming the AFL for the greed of Geelong. They are a marginal seat, so the government paid for the ground's upgrade. Geelong wanted a special advantage, so they kept the ground long and narrow. Geelong are happy to play at the G when it suits, and then whine like jet aircraft when it doesn't. Their players spend more time playing for free kicks than anyone else (at least since Mr Flappy retired), because they are so entitled that they think the world owes them special favours.

And why do you think it would be okay to play a final at a substandard suburban ground? Because Freo had to once? That was a travesty. But even then there were three other finals games in Melbourne. This week there was one game. You think it's just about the money? If the AFL barred 50,000 Richmond supporters and 10,000 Geelong supporters from watching a final, no one would have been congratulating the AFL.

The thing is, money is a perfectly valid reason. It's a professional competition which exists for the purposes of making money. You could get used to it or go live in a kibbutz, suit yourself.

The FA Cup Final is held at Wembley every year for the same reasons.
Plenty of professional competitions exist that make money and are still fair. In fact I can't think of one where the bias advantages a handful of teams only.

And it's not like the tenants of Wembley Stadium make the final very year is it? Tottenham have only just moved in but before that? Wembley is closer to a neutral venue. Pretty sure the poms wouldn't be playing the FA Cup final there every year if it was the home of Man U or Chelsea.

If you're happy to accept that money is a valid reason then don't complain when fixturing decisions go against us. In the context of the Football Universe we are Pluto. As long as we are profitable the AFL are happy to leave us out there without a second thought. We aren't an old Vic club so will never have a safety net, we don't come from a state with a huge population with a market the AFL is trying to break into so we won't get any favours, it's not like we can sell our home games to far away lands and then get compensated by the AFL moving an opponents fixtured home game against us to our home ground (I would have loved for our blokes in '13 to have played the Hawks at the MCG during the H&A just for the exposure/experience - maybe we would have been a little calmer in the gf and not shat ourselves), we'll never be the feel good story that the AFL will want to see win a gf, we'll never get any recognition that the large amount of travelling wreaks havoc with out recoveries and thus be compensated, and lastly we'll never have those players that the AFL media salivate over who are then looked after by the umpires (Dangerfield, Selwood, Hodge et al).

But I'll just be like you, bite my tongue and pay my $700 every year and pretend that I am watching a fair and unbiased professional league.

Firstly, the only reason that Geelong finished so high on the ladder is that they have the easiest fixtures in the league, every bloody year.
To compound this advantage by allowing the team to also play their finals at the ground is a crazy notion.

Geelong get to play their finals at the MCG, where they play often enough during the year for it to be familiar. To extend that argument to making Freo play in Victoria for a home final is a very long bow.

You have clearly been brainwashed into thinking that Kardinya Park is good enough for H&A. It's not, not for a high drawing team anyway. Collingwood never play at KP, because it is in Geelong's interests to play them at the MCG.
You are blaming the AFL for the greed of Geelong. They are a marginal seat, so the government paid for the ground's upgrade. Geelong wanted a special advantage, so they kept the ground long and narrow. Geelong are happy to play at the G when it suits, and then whine like jet aircraft when it doesn't. Their players spend more time playing for free kicks than anyone else (at least since Mr Flappy retired), because they are so entitled that they think the world owes them special favours.

And why do you think it would be okay to play a final at a substandard suburban ground? Because Freo had to once? That was a travesty. But even then there were three other finals games in Melbourne. This week there was one game. You think it's just about the money? If the AFL barred 50,000 Richmond supporters and 10,000 Geelong supporters from watching a final, no one would have been congratulating the AFL.

Yep , We should tale notice of what Geelong has to say on it when they stop requesting to play certain home games at the MCG. Until then I have no sympathy for them at all.

If you're happy to accept that money is a valid reason then don't complain when fixturing decisions go against us. .

I don't.

We aren't an old Vic club so will never have a safety net, we don't come from a state with a huge population with a market the AFL is trying to break into so we won't get any favours, it's not like we can sell our home games to far away lands and then get compensated by the AFL moving an opponents fixtured home game against us to our home ground (I would have loved for our blokes in '13 to have played the Hawks at the MCG during the H&A just for the exposure/experience - maybe we would have been a little calmer in the gf and not shat ourselves), we'll never be the feel good story that the AFL will want to see win a gf, we'll never get any recognition that the large amount of travelling wreaks havoc with out recoveries and thus be compensated, and lastly we'll never have those players that the AFL media salivate over who are then looked after by the umpires (Dangerfield, Selwood, Hodge et al).

Quality whinge. Got nothing to do with Geelong though. If they had a bigger stadium they'd get to play finals at home, that's really the long and short of it.

The AFL's mission is not just to run the professional league, but also to promote the sport of AFL. That's why concessions to GWS/Sydney etc exist. I am fine with that, because I don't want to see the game I love lose market share to rival sports.

It would be nice to see Freo win but if us not winning a premiership is the price of seeing AFL survive until my grandchildren are old enough to play then I am willing to live with it.

And Richmond's fixture wasn't easy?

I still can't understand how you justify taking the advantage which Geelong deserved, (if you have a problem with their draw then that's another argument entirely) and handing it to Richmond. All because Richmond have this huge supporter base and you're worried that their fans won't get to watch the game.

If the Eagles and Dockers would have played a prelim against each other in 2015 how many fans of both sides do you reckon would not have gotten tickets? Are you going to cry for them that they didn't get to watch the game? It can happen.

And I haven't been brainwashed. I just want to see a fair league. The more I watch this game the more results feel pre-determined, almost like I am watching WWE.

Last edited:
Quality whinge. Got nothing to do with Geelong though. If they had a bigger stadium they'd get to play finals at home, that's really the long and short of it.

The AFL's mission is not just to run the professional league, but also to promote the sport of AFL. That's why concessions to GWS/Sydney etc exist. I am fine with that, because I don't want to see the game I love lose market share to rival sports.

It would be nice to see Freo win but if us not winning a premiership is the price of seeing AFL survive until my grandchildren are old enough to play then I am willing to live with it.
Yeah well you'd know

My god i just seen toby greene footage post match even in defeat he has that ******* smug look on his face.

The most punchable player in the AFL

Definitely most punchable and reminds me of the smirk that cousins used to have in his prime.

That said, I'd be very happy for him to kick 6 this weekend and sink west coast

My god i just seen toby greene footage post match even in defeat he has that ******* smug look on his face.

The most punchable player in the AFL
Mate, I'm friends on facebook with his mrs, trust me he has that look in every single picture, flog is truly a flog. Not sure if he still has it, but his facebook name was 'Toby f'ing Greene', says it really.

I wish our sport had more characters like Toby Greene. Villians and heroes add to the show. I wish we had more players with a whole lot more swagger.

But Aussies have a serious case of tall poppy. We all whinge at how boring all the players are in the media but they go slightly off script and everyone turns on them so quickly. Bugg got lambasted in the media for the tinniest bit of swagger and overconfidence in a joke instagram post.

I would love a first year recruit to come out and say that they are going to win the brownlow in their first year..... but no 'i just want to do the team thing' is what we get now just so no-one gets upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back