Autopsy Swans vs Geelong SF 2017 [READ OP BEFORE POSTING]

Remove this Banner Ad

Defensive forward maybe Horse?? Ball was bouncing out of our forward half like a pinball, any danger of manning up one of Stewart, Touhy or Henderson at any stage?!

Rohan or Towers for example might've had a huge impact in that role but no old mate Horse reckons we're all good just bombing it to intercept/rebound experts with nobody within 50 metres to pressure them.

Strategy is pus, plan B nonexistent. "We'll just play our way and things will take care of themselves" surely can't fly for much longer.

No creativity in our coaching when the opposition brings the heat.

If we're not 6 goals up at QT we're nowhere when we get challenged by a good side.

It's no excuse but the umps proper put the momentum in Geelong's hands, we looked ok in the first 10 minutes but those Danger/Selwood soft frees got them going and worried us into panic, a massive contributor to our horrific skills later on.

And people digging into Naismith and Sinclair for not being dominant must consider that it's pretty hard to have a presence in the air when we never put it near them, poor lads barely had an aerial ball in their vicinity, if we're hoping for them to clunk anything the mids have to occasionally put it within 5 metres and give them at least half a chance.

Mills, Heeney, Jack, McVeigh, Hewett, Towers were all solid, didn't stop giving a crack, and not many would agree watching the TV coverage but watching at ground level I thought Ramps did pretty well considering we left him on his own in the goalsquare with the most dangerous 1-on-1 player in the comp
1f632.png

The rest though were waaaaaay down from their usual standards / previous performances.

Extremely deflating. Worst finals loss I've ever seen.

Not happy Jan.

/rant

Last edited:

Commiserations on the loss last night.

I must say after spending the night sitting next to a family of Sydney supporters, I honestly think you would have to be amongst the nicest, most normal, gracious and pragmatic supporters I've ever come across.

From the coach through to supporters, I have only read and heard level headed and reasonable responses regarding last nights game.
You had a bad night, exactly like we had last week, it has to happen eventually.

I (like most Cats supporters) attended last nights game with absolute resignation that we were going to witness another failure and another flogging from the hands of you blokes. My only motivation for making the trip up was to acknowledge one of our best clubman (Tom Lonergan) and clap him and to a lesser extent (Andrew Mackie) off the ground.

After witnessing you guys dismantle my club on many occasions in the past few years I couldn't be prouder to be a Cats supporter after last nights efforts. The win means a lot, obviously to progress further on in the season but, lets face it, the Swans are everyone's Grand Final, we respect you and admire the way your club is run both on and off the field. Your team and supporters should be commended for not only being gracious in defeat but also victory.

Bad luck last night but I expect the Swans will be up and about again in 2018, look forward to our next game against you.
Very nice post.

For me, it was just one of those nights where too many players underperform on the same night and your opponents just turn up to play and you dont.

Shame is, our team are stronger than last year, but the result against the same opponents was reversed.

I do think we have an issue with mental fortitude. The % of players with the will to win compared to our 2012 premiership team would be shocking.

Too many rohans, cunninghams, Parkers and Reid's to win.

Need more shaws, mattners and lrts.

Oh really? Lucky you told me cause I must have been in some other universe at the time...;)

We lost, casting blame and carrying on like pork chops won't change that. Sacking half the team, some/all of the coaches, and generally beating up on anyone and everyone won't change that.

After a poor start to the season (for a multitude of reasons) the boys did extremely well to make the semis. They showed team spirit, grit and determination, to pull back from the brink and win 15 of the next 17 games. But all anyone has done is put them down... I don't want to be part of that, under any circumstances.

The whole aftermath reeks to me of poor sportsmanship. If you are going to play the game, you need to accept the possibility of losing.

People discussing the season as a whole , a finals failure and looking at improvements is not carrying on like a pork chop, side has lost the same way in big moments in few times, its a legit examination to discuss what we need to change, and theres a lot of work to do!

Club cannot accept being good enough, the players shouldnt and I dont want too, if you want to cheer them all no matter what good for you, I support the swans not the players, the club is bigger than them and will outlive them

People discussing the season as a whole , a finals failure and looking at improvements is not carrying on like a pork chop, side has lost the same way in big moments in few times, its a legit examination to discuss what we need to change, and theres a lot of work to do!

Club cannot accept being good enough, the players shouldnt and I dont want too, if you want to cheer them all no matter what good for you, I support the swans not the players, the club is bigger than them and will outlive them
Dislike button!

Maybe horse has this undying love for players who dont perform like you do for tippett
Perhaps he doesn't give a s**t what you think?

Edit: And you are carrying on like a pork chop...that was your most pathetic post ever because it was so wrong!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh. Too many emotionally charged recriminations. basic fact was we clowned around and fumbled everything. Our players were embarrassing. Swans were clearly out of petrol. Going from 0-6 to finals was a huge achivement. Going 0-6 to a GF was simply a bridge too far. A bit hard to blame coaches for the most basic skill errors I've ever had the displeasure to watch. Any strategy needs to be executed. Our strategy won 15 of 17 games so it works when we execute it. Last night our players would have struggled to execute a dying chicken with a guillotine.

On the positive side how many of us seriously expected to get to a semi final from 0-6 with one of the youngest lists in the comp, let alone take out the flag ? At least we have a fit team who can have a full pre-season and get back to work. We should be fitter for it and we've got a lot of freshly blooded players who will be better for the experience. We won't be starting 0-6 in 2018. We played a GF in 2016 and backed it up with a SF in 2017 despite a list rebuild. I'd have to give the year a tick based on that. Our time is coming. We just need to improve on the MCG. Our aim in 2018 should be a perfect record at the G.

BTW, full credit to Geelong and Chris Scott who came up with a masterful strategy which their players executed precisely. They finished top 4 for a reason. I hope they go on and claim the prize. They deserve it.

Meh. Too many emotionally charged recriminations. basic fact was we clowned around and fumbled everything. Our players were embarrassing. Swans were clearly out of petrol. Going from 0-6 to finals was a huge achivement. Going 0-6 to a GF was simply a bridge too far. A bit hard to blame coaches for the most basic skill errors I've ever had the displeasure to watch. Any strategy needs to be executed. Our strategy won 15 of 17 games so it works when we execute it. Last night our players would have struggled to execute a dying chicken with a guillotine.

On the positive side how many of us seriously expected to get to a semi final from 0-6 with one of the youngest lists in the comp, let alone take out the flag ? At least we have a fit team who can have a full pre-season and get back to work. We should be fitter for it and we've got a lot of freshly blooded players who will be better for the experience. We won't be starting 0-6 in 2018. We played a GF in 2016 and backed it up with a SF in 2017 despite a list rebuild. I'd have to give the year a tick based on that. Our time is coming. We just need to improve on the MCG. Our aim in 2018 should be a perfect record at the G.

BTW, full credit to Geelong and Chris Scott who came up with a masterful strategy which their players executed precisely. They finished top 4 for a reason. I hope they go on and claim the prize. They deserve it.
Very well said Bunge.

So Nick Davis is the only one that listened to him & it took u til the final quarter for it to sink in.
But it did........!

Obviously last night was a massive heartbreaker. We'd all started to believe the impossible could somehow happen, but it was the way those dreams were smashed so brutally that made it all the more disappointing. Here were my player ratings:

7 - Jack - One of very few that can hold his head up after that debacle. Was able to influence the contest and kept running hard throughout the whole game.

5.5 - Grundy - Completely negated Tom Hawkins, but wasn't able to take many intercept marks which is normally his bread and butter.

5.5 - Lloyd - Didn't have a massive game but still provided some run out of the back half. He didn't have the poise he normally has though. Loved him taking down a much bigger man in Blicavs (after spoiling him in a marking contest) and stopping the Cats from storming into the forward 50. Didn't get a mention from the commentators though.

5 - Hannebery - Ran hard all night like he always does but his touches didn't have much influence at all.

5 - Hewett - Did some good things and seemed to have much cleaner hands than most of the Swans, but like most of his teammates went missing too often for too long.

5 - McVeigh - As always seemed to have a bit of extra time with ball in hand, but felt the perceived pressure with some uncharacteristic sloppy disposal.

4.5 - Kennedy - Was completely shut out of the first half, but to his credit he worked himself back into the game. Just didn't have any influence at all.

4.5 - Jones - Probably tried the hardest of anyone in the red and white, but just made a lot of mistakes and fumbles.

4 - Franklin - Was easily our most dangerous forward (not saying much) and had to deal with some supreme double-teaming from Taylor and Henderson, but let himself and the team down with some terrible kicking for goal.

4 - Towers - When the Cats were right on top, he was the only one that seemed to be able to get the ball moving our way through sheer willpower. Just didn't offer enough.

4 - Heeney - Like most of this year, he teased with a couple of great things but then went missing.

4 - Papley - Setup the first goal with some classy moves in traffic and kicked one of his own later in the game. Did nothing else though.

4 - Mills - Mostly unsighted but took a strong intercept mark and kicked a goal late.

3 - Reid - Kicked our first and took a goal line mark to stop another Cats shot, but not much more to say.

3 - Naismith - I thought he started really well and won a couple of hit outs that looked like he was going to take it up to Smith. Got absolutely pantsed around the ground.

2.5 - Parker - Completely ineffectual. Will be ropable at himself.

2 - Rampe - Had an absolute nightmare and was extremely nervous with the ball coming in so quickly.

1.5 - Newman - I've said it earlier in the year, but it was clear again last night that he isn't quite up to the pace of top-level football. He obviously has skills, but often seems to be rushed into making poor decisions.

1.5 - Rohan - There's an understandable level of vitriol in this thread for his game, but at least he took it in at times. Just seemed to hang around packs waiting for something to happen, rather than trying to make it happen.

1 - Cunningham - Was essentially non-existent out there. Telling that he didn't want to take a shot at goal.

1 - Smith - Got beaten over and over again, but even worse was mentally switched off throughout. His reluctance to lay a shepherd to allow Rohan to get into space was unforgivable and the only thing that got me angry enough to post in the gameday thread.

0.5 - Sinclair - An absolute stinker. To be fair, he wasnt given much to work with, but he didnt take advantage of any of those rare opportunities.

0 - Longmire - I know hindsight is 20/20, but Melican should've come in for Cunningham. He was initially dropped under a horses for courses type reasoning, but was kept out despite him obviously being required for the course (that being Geelong's tall forward line). Then throughout the game he was convincingly outcoached by his counterpart and was unable to come up with anything to stop the rot.

Commiserations on the loss last night.

I must say after spending the night sitting next to a family of Sydney supporters, I honestly think you would have to be amongst the nicest, most normal, gracious and pragmatic supporters I've ever come across.

From the coach through to supporters, I have only read and heard level headed and reasonable responses regarding last nights game.
You had a bad night, exactly like we had last week, it has to happen eventually.

I (like most Cats supporters) attended last nights game with absolute resignation that we were going to witness another failure and another flogging from the hands of you blokes. My only motivation for making the trip up was to acknowledge one of our best clubman (Tom Lonergan) and clap him and to a lesser extent (Andrew Mackie) off the ground.

After witnessing you guys dismantle my club on many occasions in the past few years I couldn't be prouder to be a Cats supporter after last nights efforts. The win means a lot, obviously to progress further on in the season but, lets face it, the Swans are everyone's Grand Final, we respect you and admire the way your club is run both on and off the field. Your team and supporters should be commended for not only being gracious in defeat but also victory.

Bad luck last night but I expect the Swans will be up and about again in 2018, look forward to our next game against you.

Good luck for next week.

It will be interesting to see if the double bye affects the winners of week 1. Both Cats and Giants very strong in week 2 setting up a fascinating week 3.

Naismith got smashed last night by smith, no idea why horse didn't throw in sinc into the middle at the start of the second to get him into the game... Naismith Hasn't really played well all year , one mark a game if that. Hindsight is great, reckon they should of played tippo/sinclair combo, Rhys Stanley and smith were made to look like superstar last night they aren't even that good.

Naismith was underdone , but he lacks footy smarts. Boyd/roughhand smashed Naismith in the second half of last years granny, has no idea how to play defensive , smith and Stanley kicked 3 goals again

Horse farked up tactically again.

Maybe we were cooked, up for so long , we were due for a mare...

MCG is our bogey ground..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back