Delisted Jack Newnes

Remove this Banner Ad

I prefer him playing on the wing where he can be more attacking although I suppose he has had to cover the loss of Webster . Hopefully Webster will be back this week against the Crows which will free up Newnes to be more attacking which is where he is at his most dangerous.

Sent via HAL

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2017-08-22/jack-newnes-press-conference-228

Jack recovering after a heavy knock .
baf5bb984c30cb70cf9a095e4c57cd51.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda leader Jack Newnes hasn’t seen two draftees adjust to life in the AFL as quickly as Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield have this summer.

Clark and Coffield were taken at picks No. 7 and No. 8 in last November’s NAB AFL Draft – St Kilda's first top-10 pair since the club chose Luke Ball and Xavier Clarke in 2001.

After experiencing a brief taste of senior football in AFLX, the highly-rated midfielders will face Carlton in the Saints' opening JLT Community Series game at Ikon Park on Wednesday night.

“First-year players sometimes tend to stay in their shells and take a little while to be confident during match play and training, but those two have come to the club and trained really strongly,” Newnes told saints.com.au on Tuesday afternoon.

“They are very confident blokes and it’s probably the first time I’ve seen two first-year players come to the club and train as well as they have and fit in so easily.”

Newnes, who has played the past 88 games in succession, underwent a knee arthroscope in December at the same time as key forward Josh Bruce, which forced the pair to train away from the main group for a month before resuming full training a few weeks ago.

But after training away from the main group either side of the Christmas break, Newnes believes he hasn’t been put on the back foot by the setback, instead he has worked his way into even better shape than this time last year.

“Me and Brucey had a similar arthroscope on our knees at the same time, so it was good to have someone in rehab to work with,” he said.

“We probably had a month together where we were training out the back by ourselves, smashing the leg weights.

“We actually think we’re probably in better shape than last year and with the timing, we’re back and ready for Round 1, so it has worked out well.”

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back