Working in Aviation

Remove this Banner Ad

Hoping to get some people currently working in aviation that will answer questions in regards to their careers. These could be:-

• Pilots
  • Air Traffic Control
  • Aviation Engineers
  • Mechanics
  • Hostess / Steward
  • Customer Service / Sales
  • Baggage Handlers
  • Flight Despatch
  • etc
If anyone is interested in any of these roles and would like to ask questions, or indeed currently works in any of these roles and wants to volunteer some expectations or tips, please go ahead.
Let's see how this goes.

Hoping to get some people currently working in aviation that will answer questions in regards to their careers. These could be:-

• Pilots
  • Air Traffic Control
  • Aviation Engineers
  • Mechanics
  • Hostess / Steward
  • Baggage Handlers
  • Flight Despatch
  • etc
If anyone is interested in any of these roles and would like to ask questions, or indeed currently works in any of these roles and wants to volunteer some expectations or tips, please go ahead.
Let's see how this goes.
I work in the operation centre for an airline. Started out in a helpdesk role but transitioned to Customer Recovery (handling delays and cancellations).

My sister is a pilot (stole my dream) and I know a fair bit of how she got there...lots of hard work, and flying early in remote places. Her BF just got hired by Cathay pacific and she is close to making it in the Airlines herself

My sister is a pilot (stole my dream) and I know a fair bit of how she got there...lots of hard work, and flying early in remote places. Her BF just got hired by Cathay pacific and she is close to making it in the Airlines herself
How did she finance her pilot's licence? I'd love to do it. Any tips?

How did she finance her pilot's licence? I'd love to do it. Any tips?

Our family is poor...basically in SA they opened up a Aviation degree to HEC's which lasted for 2-3 years. It was perfect timing for her. Before that with year 12 she focused highly on physics (with weekend coarses) which is damn important for aviation. The HEC's based aviation degree is now closed in SA i believe but may be open somewhere in Australia. After her coarse she has worked in various small plane companies from bird scaring in fruit farms to charter flights...she has heaps of hours whilst still up skilling herself with more advanced coarses. 15 years back I looked at a flight career and you need money to get into it... I had a friend who spend 2 years working in the tow truck industry whilst living at home to save 60k to get himself going.....that is the other way you can go if you dont have a rich aunty

You working in that field?
No mate. Hard to find jobs in that area.

Regret not doing more science subjects at school and attempting aviation. Hindsight, ah.

• Pilots
  • Air Traffic Control
  • Aviation Engineers
  • Mechanics
  • Hostess / Steward
  • Baggage Handlers
  • Flight Despatch
  • etc
Let's see how this goes.
Hey mate,

I started pursuing this career 2 years ago. I've since completed my Recreational Pilot's Licence (RPL) and am currently working towards my Private Pilot's Licence (PPL). And will hopefully continuing at university to get my Commercial Pilot's Licence (CPL).

My one big piece of advice is the following. Only go for a career as a pilot if it's the only job you really want to ever do. You can't get half way through a course and then say "nah, I don't like it". I currently work 3 jobs just to pay off my training and lifestyle (food, ps4, friends, etc.). I have lost track of the amount of times that I've had to ignore my social life, because I've got to prepare for a flight, or I've got a flight booked, or I've got a theory lesson, or I've got an exam.

You will be put under the pump so much it isn't funny. I recently had to resit my PPL theory exam because I got 69% (70% is the pass mark for all aviation exams). Not only did I have to pay for a new exam, I also had to emotionally deal with the stress that comes with expectation. You are EXPECTED to pass all exams by the ground school teachers and instructors. Anything less, isn't good enough. I've sat about 10 exams over 12 months to get my qualifications up. Fit flying, family events, uni/school etc. inbetween and there's not a lot of time left to see your mates.

I've currently got 50 hours under my belt, and hopefully a lot more in the future. I'm not trying to scare you out of doing it, but believe me when I say this. Aviation isn't a career, it's a lifestyle.

If you've got any other questions, fire away :)

This seems like an old thread so apologies for adding commentary to it so late.

Aviation is a big passion of mine. When i was a little boy - I wanted to be a pilot. Sadly that neve happened and i work in a Government Department.

Im a plane spotter which i enjoy and i still do have the "aviation bug". Im not in a financial situation to get my pilots license but i can at some point.

Im 30 years old and my first flight was as a 3 year old so ive been on plenty if flights within WA where I live and interstate. My next flight is on the Airbus A330 with Virgin Australia to Melbourne on Grand Final eve. The flight back to Perth is on the Boeing 737-800 also with Virgin Australia.

Gotta love flying :)

Cheers.

This seems like an old thread so apologies for adding commentary to it so late.

Aviation is a big passion of mine. When i was a little boy - I wanted to be a pilot. Sadly that neve happened and i work in a Government Department.

Im a plane spotter which i enjoy and i still do have the "aviation bug". Im not in a financial situation to get my pilots license but i can at some point.

Im 30 years old and my first flight was as a 3 year old so ive been on plenty if flights within WA where I live and interstate. My next flight is on the Airbus A330 with Virgin Australia to Melbourne on Grand Final eve. The flight back to Perth is on the Boeing 737-800 also with Virgin Australia.

Gotta love flying :)

Cheers.

My record is 53 flights in one year, reduced that to 52 the next year, then down to 36 the following 3 years.

I decided working FIFO overseas and pretty much living at the airport lounge wasn't something I was keen to do, so I now try and fly maybe a dozen times per year. I do have a Melbourne-SF-Denver-SF-Melbourne flight in a few weeks though for a holiday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My record is 53 flights in one year, reduced that to 52 the next year, then down to 36 the following 3 years.

I decided working FIFO overseas and pretty much living at the airport lounge wasn't something I was keen to do, so I now try and fly maybe a dozen times per year. I do have a Melbourne-SF-Denver-SF-Melbourne flight in a few weeks though for a holiday.

My record is 15 flights ina year.

All up ive done 213 flights so far

Foxtrot November Delta, runway 21............clear for takeoff :)

Anyone flown the Fokker 50?

Woah there's an aviation thread? I work in air traffic control - currently helping to train them. So I can answer aviation questions if anyone has any :)

Im assuming you work at YPPH? there is a website (yes its legal) which gives the listener access to listen to air traffic control:

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=ypph

Its good to listen to. Who knows I may have listened to you at some stage.

Nah I'm based in Melbourne. I have definitely been on that website though.

Im interested in ATC, I find it interesting :) Speaking of Melbourne, I will be there on the 29th of September for Grand Final weekend, flying with VA on the A330

Im interested in ATC, I find it interesting :) Speaking of Melbourne, I will be there on the 29th of September for Grand Final weekend, flying with VA on the A330
Nice. Grand final weekend is pretty amazing. There's so much to do, and the atmosphere around the city is electric. It's one of our busiest weeks at work though with the amount of people flying in for it, and it coincides with a lot of planes coming in for the horse racing.

Nice. Grand final weekend is pretty amazing. There's so much to do, and the atmosphere around the city is electric. It's one of our busiest weeks at work though with the amount of people flying in for it, and it coincides with a lot of planes coming in for the horse racing.

I fly back to Perth on the Sunday October the 1st with VA (B737-800), Im looking forward to the weekend in Melbourne during GF weekend.

Yessss I LOVE horse racing, have done my whole life. Trying to find a horse to follow for the Melbourne Cup. In fact there is a race meeting at Moonee Valley on the day i fly into Melbourne (29th Oct), the race meeting will be held at night...a few good races to look out for during that night at the Valley :)

Yeah I can imagine there would be lots of aircraft movement at Tullamarine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back