Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

only saw the play live, plus a few replays, but the ball hit the defenders helmet, and he was pretty low to the ground. Maybe he was trying to throw it into the ground near the receivers feet and just kill the play.

I disagree with the notion of getting rid of these quick throws close to the line, given the early results. If your quarterback can't execute these simple throws, he will never be a good qb. I put it down to small sample size, this was not a problem of his last year.

It was a problem last year. Not a turnover problem, but plenty of missed plays. It's caused critical turn overs twice so far this year. We lost games because of unnecessary bubble screen type play calling last year.

Why wouldnt you play to your strengths? Why are we even throwing behind the line of scrimmage in some of these circumstances?

Incidentally, Wentz's explanation apparently suggests that it was a matter of trying to throw it away and getting it wrong. The screen was blown up pretty early in the piece. Had no chance of success.

Most scouts predicted Seumalo would be a better C. Rather try him there but Kelce has been alright so far.

- The Eagles screen game was bad. This isn't good at all because the offensive line is built to be great in space and Sproles is awesome at running them. Despite that, everything was just wrong with the Eagles screen game this week. I charted running back screens and it was just bad. The Eagles ran 6 screen passes (I didn't count the swing route to Sproles as a screen personally) and only 1 of the 6 was successful which was the one to Sproles that went for 14 yards. 3 of the screen passes were incomplete, 1 went for -3 yards and the other 1 was picked off. That is pretty damn terrible for any team, let alone a team that relies on screen passes as a big part of their offense. The Eagles need to improve this quickly.

- The Eagles screen game was bad. This isn't good at all because the offensive line is built to be great in space and Sproles is awesome at running them. Despite that, everything was just wrong with the Eagles screen game this week. I charted running back screens and it was just bad. The Eagles ran 6 screen passes (I didn't count the swing route to Sproles as a screen personally) and only 1 of the 6 was successful which was the one to Sproles that went for 14 yards. 3 of the screen passes were incomplete, 1 went for -3 yards and the other 1 was picked off. That is pretty damn terrible for any team, let alone a team that relies on screen passes as a big part of their offense. The Eagles need to improve this quickly.
This aspect of our game seems to have become very predictable. As soon as we break from the huddle it as if the D knows a screen play is coming as the preferred call. While KC have a great D Line, and they deserve credit for an excellent game, our predictability is becoming a real worry. Need to try to use the TEs, and deep passes to Smith/Jeffrey, much more. Plus would be nice to see more of Sproles as a receiving option.

Blount looks (early days I know) like being a very poor replacement for Matthews.

Most of all, have got to get more O line depth into the squad.

Maybe a slot route? sprint seven and spin inside?

God forbid we use the oline to block for a basic run up the middle from scrimmage...

Nah, let's try a triple flea flicker reverse (with Sproles as lead blocker) then have Carson run for 6.279 yards...

Wentz is already our leading rusher. We may as well design him runs. He'll only be hit marginally more doing so than with our o-line pass protecting for him.
Actually if Sproles was assigned lead blocker role for Wentz he'd prolly be better than our current OLine...

Could have Donnie Jones as second blocker after Sproles and it would still be better than current.

To think Lane J and J Peters were so good in so many folks eyes just a little while ago...

I havent noticed either really being the problem. It's the interior isnt it? The Isaac / Kelce combination is lethal at the moment.

Nah, the outside blocking is so poor that it is letting DLines unleash on the inside. Back in his PED days Laney covered enough that Ds couldn't just rush inside 'cause if they did Lane would push block an outside run for yardage.

Same when JP was younger and healthier, any attempt to stack the inside (even when we had backup inside OLs playing) would lead to Peters blocking hard outside for a monster gain for the RBs...

Never happened this year, inside rush gets no response from the outside guys, and vice versa.

I haven't checked any news this week - I'm still spoiler free for most of Monday's games and catching up on GP - was there a reason for Blount's non-involvement?

I know he scored a s**t ton of TDs last season with the Pats - but let's be honest, he's the prototypical TD vulture. I've never rated him particularly highly.

Still, it seems weird that he's brought in to be a major part of a RB committee, but it was really only a committee of Sproles and Smallwood on Monday.

(Maybe I'm just dirty on him because his last name makes me want to do something that I've promised myself that I'll stop blowing money on.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't checked any news this week - I'm still spoiler free for most of Monday's games and catching up on GP - was there a reason for Blount's non-involvement?

I know he scored a s**t ton of TDs last season with the Pats - but let's be honest, he's the prototypical TD vulture. I've never rated him particularly highly.

Still, it seems weird that he's brought in to be a major part of a RB committee, but it was really only a committee of Sproles and Smallwood on Monday.

(Maybe I'm just dirty on him because his last name makes me want to do something that I've promised myself that I'll stop blowing money on.)

Blount is a rubbish match for the current O scheme called for us.
Doesn't match Wentz's traits, and rarely called for a meaningful play - just when we have an obvious bash run (current OLine gets stuffed for loss) or when short yardage inside 20 (hardly never in 2017 calendar year, nil first two weeks this season...).
Also, even when picked for the play, can't catch the sort of passes Wentzalicious would be looking to throw to him, plus our OLine can't block for shizen.

Its pretty clear that Blount is a situational back, those being short yardage situations and relief when he is a matchup problem. I agree that the playcalling needs more balance, but throwing out random routes/plays, without any context to what defense they were in for most of the game and how they were matching up with us, is only paying attention to 2 variables in a problem that is much more complex. If it was just as simple as running more slants and running more inside runs, I am sure these coaches with 10+ years of professional experience would have figured it out.

Sorry if this comes across as a troll, its not meant to be.

It's amazing that our team alone of all the teams never faces any situation where these routes might work.

Professional coaches can make mistakes, professional coaches can have bias in their play calling. That's why some professional coaches succeed and others fail.

Basing your argument entirely around an appeal to authority is asinine.

DKc3hYnU8AEaiDV.jpg:large

I guess Trump and Christie won't be coming to Iggles games then...

What a finish!

When Ertz fumbled, it really felt like the giants were gonna steal the game.
Narrative will be Elliott's winner, but Vinny Curry's play on 3rd and short to free up Jenkins to make the TFL was a (minimum) 3 point swing, and his penetration on the 4th and goal to contribute to the stuff was huge.

So many injuries in the 2ndary and then you add Coz and Hicks, to hold them to a FG and a 3 and out to finish the game was first class.

Probably our best win since we beat the Pats 2 seasons ago.

Well how about that?

Massive massive kick given all it means for the season. 2-1, 2-0 in the division, the Giants all but cactus.

We're in this season. If we could just sort out our play calling.

Had to love the run game today. Clement runs hard. Him and Blount could be a nice double hammer fist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back