Political Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is gonna be very unlike me as I have de-railed many a thread with politics talk...

but....

can we leave the SSM stuff for the relevant place?

I am sick of it all and I was gobsmacked when I realised Turnbull was behind the YES vote - JUST CHANGE THE LAW THEN - JUST LIKE HOWARD DID IN THE FIRST PLACE... Liberals still beholden to the dinosaur Abbott/Dutton faction

waste of money, waste of time, needlessly making a lot of young gay & lesbians feel like s**t with the wretched NO propaganda

I bet they don't even listen to the results of the vote anyway
Agree. There's s politics thread in the backyard for this stuff despite trying to direct people there, it's still a ghost town if me, Bicks and PrideOf bitching about the Labor party

Interesting. You're happy with us morally aligning with countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iraq?

I'm surprised that you can't see rule of law difference between the countries listed on one side - which have separation of church and state, and value gender equality - and those on the other, where people are imprisoned for holding dissenting religious or political views.

This sounds very SJW snowflake of you, Cb4H, to suggest that all cultures are the same and that we should value them equally, even if they hold as legal such customs as female circumcision and honor killing.

You should get out of your ivory tower on the left and join us in the middle, where we can realise there IS such things as customs being archaic, and where people should have their equal rights written into law.
I don't think all people from those countries are barbarians.

You left off Switzerland, Italy, Northern Ireland, Singapore, Japan from your no list. Why?

It's an uninformed list anyway. "America" is not a country. "Greenland" is not a country.

The AFL sees itself as a progressive organisation and was always going to support a yes vote.

It IS okay to vote no - the Australian Constitution has few actual rights in it, but it does contain an implied freedom of political communication. I voted yes, because who cares? Marriage is no longer a purely religious institution. Some of our fellow Australians have been asking for the right to get married for a number of years and there is nothing to be gained by denying them.

Culture is not an excuse to ignore what is right.

Once it was culturally acceptable to take half casts from their parents to be raised as white. If people tried that now they'd rightly be called a racist.

Just because tradition says we should discriminate against certain groups does not mean it is a moral defense to do so going forward.
That's not what I said. You don't need to convince me. However a proporiton of people I know who are good people will vote no. Are they wrong? I think they are. Will I vilify them becuase they vote no, of course I will not. Trying to understand other people's perspectives is more importnat now than ever. Yes I get the no voters don't do that well but that doesn't mean we have to be the same.

Interesting. You're happy with us morally aligning with countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iraq?

I'm surprised that you can't see rule of law difference between the countries listed on one side - which have separation of church and state, and value gender equality - and those on the other, where people are imprisoned for holding dissenting religious or political views.
please, morally aligning with countries like Saudi Arabia? Even if marriage equality doesn't pass the venn diagram of our values would overlap by about 1%

I'm surprised that you can't see that you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater to suggest we're anything like the countries on the right of that list beyond the detail it was compiled for. Marriage equality is overdue, but its right around the corner now - take some deep breaths.

just on the Saudi's though, if you're that concerned about the way they conduct themselves (as we probably all should be to the extent its fair to poke your nose in another country's business), I'd suggest you have a look at how deeply our closest allies are in bed with them. As poor a form as this country has been in when handling issues like marriage equality and asylum seekers - if you want to talk about moral fortitude, they'd hardly rate next to things we've effectively signed off on as lap dog to the United States over the years.

please, morally aligning with countries like Saudi Arabia? Even if marriage equality doesn't pass the venn diagram of our values would overlap by about 1%

I'm surprised that you can't see that you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater to suggest we're anything like the countries on the right of that list beyond the detail it was compiled for. Marriage equality is overdue, but its right around the corner now - take some deep breaths.

just on the Saudi's though, if you're that concerned about the way they conduct themselves (as we probably all should be to the extent its fair to poke your nose in another country's business), I'd suggest you have a look at how deeply our closest allies are in bed with them. As poor a form as this country has been in when handling issues like marriage equality and asylum seekers - if you want to talk about moral fortitude, they'd hardly rate next to things we've effectively signed off on as lap dog to the United States over the years.

That list is deliberately inflammatory. I don't think we should take it ALL that seriously. But it does illustrate the patterns that continue to emerge around the world - the nations that are aligning with equality and those that aren't.

And the Saudis? I couldn't agree more. The fact that a nation such the USA could continue to support them politically, when there has been clear and tangible evidence that the Saudi's financially supported the largest peacetime attack on American soil shows that the USA is most deeply hypocritical political leadership in the world.

It's an uninformed list anyway. "America" is not a country.

LOL WUT

Yeah, 'Merica isn't a country.

It's just the greatest goddamn country in the world!

"Greenland" is not a country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland
Greenland
(/ ˈ ɡ r iː n l ə n d /; Greenlandic: Kalaallit Nunaat [kalaːɬit nunaːt]; Danish: Grønland [ˈɡʁɶnˌlanˀ]) is an autonomous constituent country ...

That list is deliberately inflammatory. I don't think we should take it ALL that seriously. But it does illustrate the patterns that continue to emerge around the world - the nations that are aligning with equality and those that aren't.
of course it is, that's why I think its a little disingenuous to even post it.

the main pattern I can see in it however is that countries with strong and open legal and political systems are the ones making it into the left hand column (interestingly they're all either historically or currently christian nations too... but perhaps we'll save that for another day).

the point though is that I don't think being a few years later on the issue than some other nations is nearly as embarrassing or disgusting as some people like to make out to be. Sometimes it takes time to properly determine which cultural traditions should be thrown out and which are worth keeping, and taking that time is a cultural tradition in itself.

now in this situation of course a plebiscite rather than a parliamentary vote is quite absurd, but the blame for that really lies on the way its been handled by everyone involved on either side of politics since Howard changed it in the first place.

LOL WUT

Yeah, 'Merica isn't a country.

It's just the greatest goddamn country in the world!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland
Greenland
(/ ˈ ɡ r iː n l ə n d /; Greenlandic: Kalaallit Nunaat [kalaːɬit nunaːt]; Danish: Grønland [ˈɡʁɶnˌlanˀ]) is an autonomous constituent country ...
Greenland is not a recognized country. Neither is England technically but they make their own rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The latest Cory Bernadi fail has seen Craigburn Primary School raise over $57,000 for girls education in Africa.

The school’s target was $900 (which Josh Thomas more than raised out of his own pocket)!

Thanks Sen. Bernadi for bringing this wonderful cause to our attention. Now let’s stick it right up him by dropping a couple of bucks to the cause!

http://www.doitinadress.com/team/craigburn-primary-school

EDIT: Support has been so strong the Do it in a Dress page has crashed!

Last edited:
(interestingly they're all either historically or currently christian nations too... but perhaps we'll save that for another day).

homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

And the Saudis? I couldn't agree more. The fact that a nation such the USA could continue to support them politically, when there has been clear and tangible evidence that the Saudi's financially supported the largest peacetime attack on American soil shows that the USA is most deeply hypocritical political leadership in the world.
the oil must flow

Yep hope they find him and charge him.

People like this do nothing but harm to the Yes campaign.

To be fair, lots of people want to headbutt Tony Abbott for lots of reasons. We don't know it was an SSM supporter yet, do we?

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back