Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew Brayshaw should be top 5.

Never plays an ordinary game. Kicks goals, sets others up, wins his own footy, tackles hard, runs his arse off. Has the best defensive mindset of any of the midfielders mentioned regularly here.

Shut down their most dangerous midfielder after Oakleigh got on top.

Hamish should be a late 4th/5th rounder or rookie at worst. If he was playing this way in his top age (when he broke his foot twice, once in a collision with Tim Taranto in pre-season, the next on the eve of finals), he'd be going top 25.

Andrew Brayshaw should be top 5.

Never plays an ordinary game. Kicks goals, sets others up, wins his own footy, tackles hard, runs his arse off. Has the best defensive mindset of any of the midfielders mentioned regularly here.

Shut down their most dangerous midfielder after Oakleigh got on top.

Hamish should be a late 4th/5th rounder or rookie at worst. If he was playing this way in his top age (when he broke his foot twice, once in a collision with Tim Taranto in pre-season, the next on the eve of finals), he'd be going top 25.
Hamish struggled today I agree that Andrew is in peak form

Hamish struggled today I agree that Andrew is in peak form

May have only had 14 touches but Hamish still managed 6 clearances, 4 tackles, 3 inside 50s, and 2 goals (including the sealer).

If that's a struggle game, I'll take it and look forward to an improved effort on Sunday night at Etihad.

Andrew Brayshaw is every bit as good as LDU/Cerra/Rayner/Dow and could trump them all come November.

What's your thoughts on Ethan Floyd? Apparently has had 2 good games in the finals the last 2 weeks. Watched a bit of yesterday's game and looked to have good composure.

#Chris25 How's Charlie Ballard performing ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's been really good the past month or so. Form in school football was solid, played more of a CHB role and his marking was the strength. If intercept marking is the next big thing in recruiting, then clubs will be looking at Ballard. He's also made the move into reserves level football for Sturt, being named in the bests in 3 out of 3 matches on the wing. While he was one of the better players in the SANFL U18 GF with 21 touches, and he looked good through the midfield.

So even though he hasn't had a lot of consistency in terms of where he's playing, he's always been consistent in his performances. I'd certainly be happy to draft him.

How do you rate Stephenson's inside game and ball winning ability? He seemed to play quite outside in the Champs but his numbers have been really strong, especially over the past month or so.

Much better than given credit for. When it comes to underage football, I'm much more impressed by the skinny kid who knows where to position himself in a contest and how to read the play than the kid who charges through and wins the ball through strength. And Stephenson fits that. If he can already impact stoppages, then add another 10kg on him and who knows what he could do.

Hi Chris
if Silvagni & Brodie retain pick three which is looking probable more time goes on and rumors evaporate. Whom do you reckon they'll select?
I take Darcy Fogarty or Stepenson what are your thoughts on the suitability for CFC.
I keep changing my mind as it gets closer, appreciate your insight.

I'm not really too sure with Carlton. It'd be hard to pass on either Davies-Uniacke or Rayner, just as a best available. As for Fogarty, I guess it depends on what they want to do with Curnow. Personally, I'd have him a 60/40 forward/midfielder, in which case I would think Fogarty is more of a luxury especially so early.

I do think Stephenson would be good, would offer them extra outside run and flexibility. Andrew Brayshaw is the other I'd consider as a well rounded midfielder.

Surely Naughton will be Freo's first pick? ...any thoughts on Sam Taylor from SD?...

Think other Fremantle posters have covered this, but I would hope Naughton isn't a lock. I think we have the pieces down back already, I'd rather give Alex Pearce an opportunity to come back from injury and move Brennan Cox into his more comfortable role down back. Throw in Logue and obviously Hamling, and we've got plenty of tall defenders. Take another late in the draft sure. But I think we have bigger needs, despite how good Naughton might be.

Brander or even Hayes would be more likely as talls. While our midfield really needs some work.

Sam Taylor is one I'd be more than happy to look at, if he was to make it to the third round - which may be unlikely. He's very much gone under the radar with Naughton getting all the hype, but he's looked very good for Swan Districts. Marking the ball very well, and finding a lot more of the ball than I expected.

Chris, another good game by Andrew Brayshaw today apparently. What's the absolute earliest you can see him going. And do you think Hamish will be drafted this year?

With every week, I'm becoming more and more a fan of Brayshaw. I had him at #9 three weeks ago, but he's still climbing. I personally prefer him to the likes of Dow and Cerra. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come into the mix for Carlton at #3, and should be firming as a lock for top 10 at the very least.

Hamish, I think has done enough to end up on an AFL list. But I'd be thinking more late/rookie than anything. Jack Roughsedge is the overaged, injury cruelled player I'd be taking.

Brander or even Hayes would be more likely as talls. While our midfield really needs some work.
In terms of midfielders for Fremantle, there really do look like being some very good options at 5, and I see the possibility of several of Fogarty, Stephenson, Brayshaw, Higgins or Cerra (for example) being available.

Do you see us going simply for best available if we take a midfielder? Do you see a particular type of mid defining what we prefer? What criteria would you put in place if you were selecting for us?

From my perspective I would be valuing pace and goal kicking.

Hey Chris25 really appreciate your efforts and updates as always, one of the few must-read draft threads each year.

If rumours of Oscar Allen as a heavy consideration for the Bulldogs pick 9 are true do you see that as much of a reach, and how do you see his game translating to AFL? thanks.

I'm not really too sure with Carlton. It'd be hard to pass on either Davies-Uniacke or Rayner, just as a best available. As for Fogarty, I guess it depends on what they want to do with Curnow. Personally, I'd have him a 60/40 forward/midfielder, in which case I would think Fogarty is more of a luxury especially so early.

I do think Stephenson would be good, would offer them extra outside run and flexibility. Andrew Brayshaw is the other I'd consider as a well rounded midfielder.

Thanks for your insights Chirs, appreciated the time and care you put into your response.

With every week, I'm becoming more and more a fan of Brayshaw. I had him at #9 three weeks ago, but he's still climbing. I personally prefer him to the likes of Dow and Cerra. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come into the mix for Carlton at #3, and should be firming as a lock for top 10 at the very least.

Hamish, I think has done enough to end up on an AFL list. But I'd be thinking more late/rookie than anything. Jack Roughsedge is the overaged, injury cruelled player I'd be taking.
^^^^^^
You make lots of sense here Chris25

Hey Chris25 really appreciate your efforts and updates as always, one of the few must-read draft threads each year.

If rumours of Oscar Allen as a heavy consideration for the Bulldogs pick 9 are true do you see that as much of a reach, and how do you see his game translating to AFL? thanks.
Where are these rumours from?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks, I was hoping you'd say that. I'd be very pleased if we got both the Brayshaw boys.

I'll check out Roughsedge.

Andrew Brayshaw is every bit as good as LDU/Cerra/Rayner/Dow and could trump them all come November.
Saints would be happy to hear that - Coffield or Brander could be available at their pick 7

I have him at 8, have always rated him but cant bring myself to put my top 7 any lower. Brayshaw will be a 200 game player at AFL level
Not a bad return with nay pick.

I heard that Fremantle rate the top 7 reasonably evenly, and if Brayshaw is in that group then he would do nicely for me. If we keep that pick then I expect us to walk out of the draft happy with what was on offer. I expect to have some of Brayshaw, Brander, Fogarty, Cera or Stephenson available. Thumbs up.

Hey Chris,

Curious as to your thoughts on how Todd Marshall compares to this year's tall forwards, especially those that may fall around Port's (now Brisbane's) pick 12, had we kept it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back