AFL Evolution - Launch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been enjoying the game playing as career / pro. My biggest issue is the cut scenes or a behind etc resetting the position of your career player. Very frustrating.

Also if you start as a Rookie the game takes you through the TAC then VFL system rather than through the draft.

Other than that the gameplay is enjoyable. I find 7.5 minutes gives the most realism in terms of possessions etc and whomever suggested playing it in slow deserve a medal.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
My tip is Very Slow on legend. Then tweak from there.

I'll take screenshots of my sliders tonight- if anyone wants to/does try them, let me know what you think! (Also remember I manually tweaked key players stats, slowed down almost all ruckman, increased kicking distance of people like franklin and reduced for players like Garlett and stevie J). Also play with wind indicators off to make set shots more random (have kick charge meter pretty high but kick distance turned up meaning nail a meter at the top and you can dob it from 55-60)

Alright, so I finally got around to posting my slider settings. Remember, this works best with modifying stats for individual players.
My tips again are to reduce the running speed of the big men (bar the freaks), and also to adjust the stamina of both plodders and running machines.
While editing stats, I suggest editing lowering kicking power for those players on your team that are weaker kicks.

As I play mainly in season mode, most of my edits are to my own team (the dees), where I bump up the better players stats in one or two areas, and lower certain aspects of others (ie I actually get nervous if Oscar or Tom McDonald have a kick now!)
I'm also a fan of almost unstoppable guns. So for the Abletts, Dangers, Dustys, I boost their stats even above what they default are (but not in areas they are not freaks at).

Another tip I have is during game play at the centre bounce, press L1 to select a different mid and not always your ruckman. You can then call for the tap and do some pretty cool linkups- (I think I need to turn down the oppositions tackling range a bit more so I have more than 0.001 seconds to decide what to do). But this is where the SLOWEST option comes in. The game is still quick, that's not what SLOWEST changes. Running speeds etc are all independent. It is purely the speed of the animations. And this is way too ridiculous on all levels bar the lowest one or two. My settings won't work for any setting above SLOW or SLOWEST.

You'll also see the camera options I use- I actually prefer a slower camera pan when I turn it over, BUT then I have to wait longer for it to pan before I can search for a target. So this is my happy medium. Sometimes when I don't want to wait for pan, you can hold L1 and kick to whoever it's locked on to to get the ball moving quickly, otherwise wait that brief second for it to pan.

One final thing- marking. Very subjective, and I am not a wizard at it. With these settings, I'd say it's slightly in a decent players favour, and I usually just adjust at the start of each game after I get the feel to try and balance it. I believe stats should have a big say in one on ones, hence why it's the dominating stat. BUT if you do want to lower or raise the difficulty, change the MARKING slider only. From memory, a higher number slider for you the player, means you are BETTER at marking. Same goes for CPU.

And this is my biggest gripe with the sliders. For half of them, it is incredibly hard to get your head around which way will make the game easier and harder for you (and the CPU!). Best way is extreme trial and error! (Or, just use my settings :) )

Enjoy, and let me know how these go for you (I'm not a massive player, but I'd say fairly good at the game after approx 30-40 matches)

IMG_6974.jpg

IMG_6976.jpg

Last edited:
Game has improved significantly! I am playing in career mode as a coach and it's nice to play in games with normal AFL type scores. Playing on slow in legendary mode with the customised settings has helped a lot. Just need players in normal positions now to cap it off! I'm a firm believer of - it's what you as the user make of it - it is a really fun game.

I wish the 'Mark fumble' slider was actually 'Mark fumble in contest'.
I don't want them to drop a lot of sitters while in space, but want it to spill off hands in contests more (when two guys go for the mark, not just when one spoils).

Agree 100%. WW definitely need to bring this in, and shouldn't be too hard to do in the next one I would think. It adds so much to the game play for the ball to consistently spill from a pack, but then unrealistic when so many simple kicks to a lead aren't effective. Still a big improvement to the gameplay but the next step in this instance is clear.

It would be nice if there were options to make players glow or something so you can tell teams apart from afar more easily while zoomed out.

Beat me to it! What would be perfect, now the radar visibility has improved, is for the circles to colour code based on marking stat. So when you're selecting a lead a player with a high marking stat could be blue, yellow could be mid skilled and red for poor. (for example) And while we're at it, have the player with the highest marking stat in that section of the ground blink on the radar. That way if you're choosing from two yellows you know which one has the higher stat. That would be awesome.

Still really digging Evo and I hope WW are making early plans for Evo 2. I hope they get a bit more ambitious and try and tackle some of the gameplay issues no AFL game so far has really nailed. For me these include:

- better player selection, in particular the buzz kill dynamic of selecting a player up the ground and having them run away from the contest because one second ago you were controlling a player running towards the goals (i.e. stick being held in precisely in the wrong direction for the new player you are controlling. I notice some AAA titles address this by having the character still move in the right direction even though you are now holding it the wrong way, and once the stick returns to neutral the 'real' direction applies once more. Perhaps this is the answer).

- making tackles, marking and goal kicking really fun and intuitive. My personal view is that no AFL game has really nailed this one. Thoughts include:

- tackling - has to feel 'chunkier'. Just straight up gameplay refinement here.

- marking - switch to landing is a great enhancement but longer term a new system is needed. Perhaps dynamic zooming to the contest (bringing us closer to a 'one size fits all' camera) and a matrix style effect where time slows down a little and the gameplay inside the contest can be a bit more complex.

- goal kicking. The stick flick has to go. It's not fun and it sticks out like a sore thumb when you press a button to kick the ball everywhere else on the ground. Having said that I readily concede BA's approach was too simplistic, that's not the way to go either. Personally, and obviously this would need play testing and tinkering, I would go with something like a super imposed pendulum that appears between the goal posts. The better the goal kick the slower the pendulum swings. And on the flip side, the further out the player is or the tighter the angle, the faster it swings. And potentially have the wind effect it as well so it's kind of dragging in one direction based on the strength of the breeze. Sure, this might be a clunker of an idea, but something has to be done to make goal kicking both fun and challenging in an AFL game. You need to really feel the pressure, but it also has to be fair.

All this aside, really interested in knowing what changed at WW to have a red hot crack at Evo. Everyone was expecting a dud and whether you like the game or not, surely it's pretty evident this title was not phoned in. That would have been Live 2 with some tweaks and new player lists, something that has happened with AFL games before. If anyone from WW reads this, why not consider an interview explaining a little bit more behind the development process. Why was this time different? Did you have a new lead developer? Did you consciously decide to spend more time and money on the project? What are the plans for the series in the future? And the million dollar question - will you look at building a new game engine further down the track? Really curious to know the story, no doubt there is one to share.

goal kicking. The stick flick has to go. It's not fun and it sticks out like a sore thumb

I actually prefer this setup, and reckon Wicked Witch could nail it even in this current version with 2 tweaks.

What I would do, is still have the flick upwards as the direction of the kick, but have ANY non straight-up movement of the stick result in pushing the ball left or right. So if you nail a perfect vertical movement upward, theoretically the ball would go gun barrel straight.

So then if you put a tiny bit of sideways movement in, then it might just scrape in for a goal, or hit the post. Any more and you're getting a point or a OOTF. But to make it challenging, I'd have the difference between a straight kick and a out of the full only a few degrees in stick movement.

This process would then allow for adjusting for wind. Unless it's a cyclone, players don't really adjust their run up angle to allow for wind (not to mention they'd be called to play on). So if there's a left to right wind, then you'll need to move the stick slightly left of straight up to account for that.

That's part one- it's pretty much what they have, but right now it's an all or nothing affair, where it turns into a banana if you don't go straight up. Have another button to setup for a set shot banana..

Part 2: variation.
Use the already defined set shot accuracy player stats to determine just how sensitive (or "narrow") the range is. So someone like a Ben Brown would allow the gamer to have a larger margin for error, and still kick a straight kick.
Where as a spaz kick at goal would have a very small window to nail that up movement. Maybe only a degree or two.

The beauty of this system is that it would naturally make longer shots at goal more challenging, as even the slightest side-stick movement would result in a non-dead straight kick, which over 50m could easily slide through for a point.

Wicked Witch, please add this :)

(Many more ideas that I reckon you guys could add with minimal changes if you'd like to hear them)

Last edited:
And one other simple tweak please WW- in season mode (where the player can't adjust the oppositions tactics), please please please can you default the CPU tactics at my kickouts to only be either zone or press? One on one at kickouts is dead, and with a heavily sided 1v1 setup elsewhere, this would be a big relief!

Putting it on any faster than slow, the players look like you are fast forwarding a football match on a vhs tape (those were the days!).

I've put it on the first setting slowest/slower and it's far too inconsistent. On pc it can't decide how slow it really is (game play/controlling the players is one slow speed, player animations after kicking a goal/instant replays speed up as though it's on fastest AND the ball's physics are a different speed as well) - almost creates an extra level of difficulty in itself (getting the timing right).

Hi all

After Patch B being released, how is everyone viewing the game? Have we got potential for this game being continually being updated and improved or will it just fall over ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really enjoying the game after playing around with sliders. Only gripe for me is the bumping. Need a slider to stop bumping/hip shoulder from dispossessing the player 100% of the time. Should be able to ride the bumps at least half of the time.

Hi all

After Patch B being released, how is everyone viewing the game? Have we got potential for this game being continually being updated and improved or will it just fall over ?
I imagine they'll use the same system they've used in the past which means we'll see a 2018 DLC update (updated lists, fixtures, guernseys and Perth Stadium) and then Evolution 2 comes out in 2019

I'd love to see Aurora, Eureka and Jiangwan, although that's going to be unlikely.
Aurora is in the game. I think you mean Bellerive Oval. But I get what you mean, I'd love to see them in the game as well but I agree, it might be a huge ask to see them.

Has there been any talk of patching and updating for next year ?

If anything, it will be a paid DLC probably releasing mid year. But i think the whole point of the Creation Hub was so that we update and download new lists ourselves, saving them having to do it. But let's hope there is something next year :)

Alright, so I finally got around to posting my slider settings. Remember, this works best with modifying stats for individual players.
My tips again are to reduce the running speed of the big men (bar the freaks), and also to adjust the stamina of both plodders and running machines.
While editing stats, I suggest editing lowering kicking power for those players on your team that are weaker kicks.

As I play mainly in season mode, most of my edits are to my own team (the dees), where I bump up the better players stats in one or two areas, and lower certain aspects of others (ie I actually get nervous if Oscar or Tom McDonald have a kick now!)
I'm also a fan of almost unstoppable guns. So for the Abletts, Dangers, Dustys, I boost their stats even above what they default are (but not in areas they are not freaks at).

Another tip I have is during game play at the centre bounce, press L1 to select a different mid and not always your ruckman. You can then call for the tap and do some pretty cool linkups- (I think I need to turn down the oppositions tackling range a bit more so I have more than 0.001 seconds to decide what to do). But this is where the SLOWEST option comes in. The game is still quick, that's not what SLOWEST changes. Running speeds etc are all independent. It is purely the speed of the animations. And this is way too ridiculous on all levels bar the lowest one or two. My settings won't work for any setting above SLOW or SLOWEST.

You'll also see the camera options I use- I actually prefer a slower camera pan when I turn it over, BUT then I have to wait longer for it to pan before I can search for a target. So this is my happy medium. Sometimes when I don't want to wait for pan, you can hold L1 and kick to whoever it's locked on to to get the ball moving quickly, otherwise wait that brief second for it to pan.

One final thing- marking. Very subjective, and I am not a wizard at it. With these settings, I'd say it's slightly in a decent players favour, and I usually just adjust at the start of each game after I get the feel to try and balance it. I believe stats should have a big say in one on ones, hence why it's the dominating stat. BUT if you do want to lower or raise the difficulty, change the MARKING slider only. From memory, a higher number slider for you the player, means you are BETTER at marking. Same goes for CPU.

And this is my biggest gripe with the sliders. For half of them, it is incredibly hard to get your head around which way will make the game easier and harder for you (and the CPU!). Best way is extreme trial and error! (Or, just use my settings :) )

Enjoy, and let me know how these go for you (I'm not a massive player, but I'd say fairly good at the game after approx 30-40 matches)

IMG_6974.jpg

IMG_6976.jpg

Just so you know, according to TruBlu's steam comments the marking components are ratios that are meant to add up to 100.

Trying these out later

Hi all does anyone have a steam account with AFL Evolution on it so i can give the PC version a go

How do you make trades harder without limiting yourself? Does the management difficultty sort this one out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back