2nds VFL Grand Final: Richmond vs Port Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium - 3:00pm Sunday, 24/09/2017

Remove this Banner Ad

You follow port ? Liked Mihocek yesterday, is he worth a look at as a rookie ?
He has been solid since crossing from Werribee in 2015, including winning the club best and fairest last year. He could be worth a look.

Disappointed with the result but you can’t knock Port. They nearly went the way of North Ballarat earlier this year so it’s great by them to get up. Their supporters, we outnumbered them but their passion and noise was immense.
We switched off with 5min to go which ultimately cost us. I was happy Lennon backed himself to take the kick. Was a low percentage shot but was aware the siren could go any second so he took it. Griffiths not kicking to Bolton in the pocket with about a minute to go was the one moment that lost it. Bolton was on his own. Gee we’ve got a gun ready to go in Bolton. Absolutely unbelievable, just creates every time he gets the footy.
I felt deja vu watching that game. Seeing an opposition team claw back a lead, to snatch a close win.
This was the first VFL game I'd seen this year. I haven't seen a tigers team run out of legs all year but this team did. The usual suspects causing a loss (in one way or the other) . Lennon, Griff poor decision making up forward. Add Chol to that list. Exactly as people have said, his good is good but his poor is shocking. Maric & Hampson too slow, not skilled enough in general play. Menadue & CEllis not quite damaging enough. Bolton not got the tank just yet.

You'd think it was Lennons parting gift to us

A spiteful way of costing us the game and saying Fuq you tigers

SNAP.......funny I had a similar feeling. Walks to blooz for zero in return...

What happened with Corey?

Looked great early.

Amazing what continuity can do & some confidence that comes from that. I think he'll have a solid preseason, then I'll wait and see with anticipation

One last question to persons who have coached at senior level anywhere, why was there not one backline player in the rich vfl side given any sort of recognition or creedence for their efforts in the GF!!!! The five nominated funnily were our five highest paid- bar for Lloydy, the others fell behind the efforts of the back boys four qtrs in nullifying their big scoring opponents and holding them scoreless. As posted previously, their mids did the damage running free all game? I sat on the wing, 2nd level with about 10 other senior coaches from many leagues that i know for a great footy reunion, and all are shaking their heads at what was reported and what was seen. There was plenty of 'nous' between us all footy wise, can we all be wrong????? Thanks for your input all season B F TEAM.

One last question to persons who have coached at senior level anywhere, why was there not one backline player in the rich vfl side given any sort of recognition or creedence for their efforts in the GF!!!! The five nominated funnily were our five highest paid- bar for Lloydy, the others fell behind the efforts of the back boys four qtrs in nullifying their big scoring opponents and holding them scoreless. As posted previously, their mids did the damage running free all game? I sat on the wing, 2nd level with about 10 other senior coaches from many leagues that i know for a great footy reunion, and all are shaking their heads at what was reported and what was seen. There was plenty of 'nous' between us all footy wise, can we all be wrong????? Thanks for your input all season B F TEAM.

Is it as simple as saying - the Richmond's team was a make up of a completely different player type to the AFL team ie tall forward line flying for marks against each other with no smalls underneath?

Bolton and stengle were starting from half back rotating at the centre ball ups? Why?

Did ports team suit etihad more with more runners able to switch run and carry and hit up small forwards which is the better way to play this ground -

their goals were just so easy whereas Richmond were from general slow play forward with man on man marking not hit ups as Port's were.

At the end of the day did Fly have no choice but to play 3 talls up forward Griff, Moore, choi, because they needed to play and therefore the game plan had to suit the cattle?

Maybe he had a team that looked like the Richmond of old in its set up and now the game has moved passed this set up - now it seems teams have -

2 key backs
2 key forwards and the other 20 are 6.2 mid size runners who move the ball fast and hit up in fwd 50 only and not bomb down line?

was Fly outcoached or did he have no option given the requirement to play his listed players rather than selecting a team that could give him the game plan that suited both the ground and the opposition?

or did the difference just come down to some key moments?

which have already been mentioned here.

When team was 13 points up at 20 min mark why not commit big numbers at footy ie all half forwards, wings, fwd pockets to stoppage and then soak up pressure, multiple ball ups with a rolling mall to not allow Port to exit like Sydney swans would do?

each coach will have a different opinion I suppose but for me the team picked did not suit the opposition nor the venue but I don't think Fly had any choice but had to play his listed players his hands were tied and Port benefited.

Cheers GS, Great run down bud, the backs always pay the price in this modern game is my ''beef''!! many thanks for your thoughts, probably carrying 2 out of form players [one key] was the difference in a GF, along with his orders from above in favor of next sat? of course? the last two lines of your post, sums it up, great pressure game all the same.Thank you.

a few positive comments on Batch's game in this thread..must have been touch and go for him to stay on the list.

Not really.

Hes a very good VFL player, but at best he was only ever going to be a backup for the AFL team and when you have other options who are younger and have the potential to step up to be a true AFL standard player, then you keep them and don't let the likes of him clog up your list.

Ideally you recruit him (or players of similar standing dumped from other clubs) to help out your VFL team, but not on your AFL list.

It's a little bit sad, because he's a good bloke and a decent player but that's how list management needs to be handled.

Not really.

Hes a very good VFL player, but at best he was only ever going to be a backup for the AFL team and when you have other options who are younger and have the potential to step up to be a true AFL standard player, then you keep them and don't let the likes of him clog up your list.

Ideally you recruit him (or players of similar standing dumped from other clubs) to help out your VFL team, but not on your AFL list.

It's a little bit sad, because he's a good bloke and a decent player but that's how list management needs to be handled.

Surprised Geelong didn't pick Batch up as a replacement for Mackie. Would suit their game perfectly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

did anyone take him? I rated him, would be a best 22 on a handful of AFL lists

Nope. Didn't get picked up at all. Thought he would have been a decent rookie or late ND selections for a number of clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back