Travel The Hangar Travel Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We flew to/from Vietnam (and within it) on Vietnam Air - they were perfectly fine.

Likewise. Only the Bali part unfortunately :(

What's the South America itinerary?
Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Ushuaia, Torres del Paine, Los Glacieres, Bariloche, Pucon and Santiago. Five weeks.

Pumped!

We flew to/from Vietnam (and within it) on Vietnam Air - they were perfectly fine.
Cathay were one of the cheapest for when we are going but also the shortest total flight and stop over duration time. It was really down to Air Asia, Cathay Pacific or Malaysia Airlines. Cathay and Malaysia are full service so we were happy to pay a bit more for that and then it came down to stop overs and total duration. Turns out that Cathay Pacific were the best choice for the $$ and are a very good airline.

Air Vietnam are fine. Lucked into a codeshare for a cheap flight out of Laos and enjoyed the old-school leg room.

Air Asia are good on one condition. For a small, refundable fee you can put yourself top of the queue for a business class flatbed should one be vacant. Otherwise they're regulation cattle class.

The only airlines I'd actively avoid are Tiger, because they're garbage, and Cebu Pacific, because their seats are designed for 5-foot Filipinos.

Oh, and having lost count of the number of angry Qantas passengers I've seen codeshared onto my Jetstar flight, them too.

In NYC and being a total stalker I took the family to Jobes cafe....

Food was fine, Aussie wait staff were nice but food took over 40 minutes to arrive....slower than Jobe on the spread!

Given it was brekky and we were their first customers it was a little puzzling...they gave us a free homemade timtam as an apology.

In NYC and being a total stalker I took the family to Jobes cafe....

Food was fine, Aussie wait staff were nice but food took over 40 minutes to arrive....slower than Jobe on the spread!

Given it was brekky and we were their first customers it was a little puzzling...they gave us a free homemade timtam as an apology.
I went there too - the hole in the wall place on 5th, didn't look like there was place to eat in there?

Heading to the UK on Sunday night for a week to check out where I am likely to work for the next 3 to 5 years. I fly out at 10.55 pm, which means I get to watch the freo game live :). It may end up being the last time I watch the bombers live for 5 years :(

Found a place to live in a village called Lewes, with its own castle and cobblestones - so quintessentially English. Instead of working to finish s**t here, I am spending a lot of time looking at travel options from the UK. You can get return air fares to places like Milan and Rome for as little as 30 or 40 pounds - outrageous!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For people who have taken long trips, which airlines have you had the best experience with?

I recently went to Russia and Romania. I flew Qantas to Tokyo, then Japan Airlines to Moscow. I flew Moscow to Bucharest with a stopover in Istanbul with Turkish Air. Within Russia I flew from Novosibirsk to Moscow with S7. I found all of them quite good, especially Turkish and Japan. S7 was surprisingly good.

I recently went to Russia and Romania. I flew Qantas to Tokyo, then Japan Airlines to Moscow. I flew Moscow to Bucharest with a stopover in Istanbul with Turkish Air. Within Russia I flew from Novosibirsk to Moscow with S7. I found all of them quite good, especially Turkish and Japan. S7 was surprisingly good.
How did you find Romania?

It's a country that rather interests me and when I get back to Europe, I intend to go there.

How did you find Romania?

It's a country that rather interests me and when I get back to Europe, I intend to go there.

Absolutely loved it. Amazing. I want to go back and spend more time. Bucharest isn't anything special and only worth a day or two but Transylvania is spectacular. Brasov and Sinaia. OMG. Now two of my favourite places on earth. The people were so friendly and spoke English surprisingly well.

Heading to Tokyo tomorrow for 8 nights. No real plans other than to eat myself silly and to just surrender myself to the surroundings. Looking forward to it but also a tad apprehensive.

DapperJong, please don’t get too trigger happy!

Heading to Tokyo tomorrow for 8 nights. No real plans other than to eat myself silly and to just surrender myself to the surroundings. Looking forward to it but also a tad apprehensive.

DapperJong, please don’t get too trigger happy!
That sounds awesome, going solo or with others?

That sounds awesome, going solo or with others?

Solo.

I think I’ve said it before, I like solo travel because I don’t have to compromise. I know it kinda sounds selfish, but I don’t really care.

Staying in a capsule hostel too, so that’s bound to be interesting.

Loving it over here so far. The capsule hotel is awesome. It’s in a pretty quiet end of town which probably helps. Here’s a pic of my “room”.

0530f6d8abcca78434e778b44ddc4b25.jpg

PT here is so good. It’s about $20 for an unlimited 3 day subway pass, and there’s really nowhere in Tokyo you can’t get on the subway.

It’s also a lot more quiet and ordered here than I expected from a big city. Traffic is non existent.

Wifi here is also pretty good. While you may not be able to access a lot of it, most metro stops have free wifi, which is perfect for losing the google maps area map. Once that’s done, it’s easy to navigate since there’s so much wifi around, it can always triangulate your location.

Food is the bomb. While not massively cheap, it’s all top quality. I’ve eaten sushi twice; once from a service place where I just picked the chef’s selection and one was a conveyor belt restaurant (not to be confused with sushi train). Both were heaps better than anything I’ve had in Aus and both came to around $20.

0c0b7668fe81c562d9f1025c64011ece.jpg

Loving it over here so far. The capsule hotel is awesome. It’s in a pretty quiet end of town which probably helps. Here’s a pic of my “room”.

0530f6d8abcca78434e778b44ddc4b25.jpg

PT here is so good. It’s about $20 for an unlimited 3 day subway pass, and there’s really nowhere in Tokyo you can’t get on the subway.

It’s also a lot more quiet and ordered here than I expected from a big city. Traffic is non existent.

Wifi here is also pretty good. While you may not be able to access a lot of it, most metro stops have free wifi, which is perfect for losing the google maps area map. Once that’s done, it’s easy to navigate since there’s so much wifi around, it can always triangulate your location.

Food is the bomb. While not massively cheap, it’s all top quality. I’ve eaten sushi twice; once from a service place where I just picked the chef’s selection and one was a conveyor belt restaurant (not to be confused with sushi train). Both were heaps better than anything I’ve had in Aus and both came to around $20.

0c0b7668fe81c562d9f1025c64011ece.jpg
Tokyo is fantastic, one of our best family holidays. People are very accommodating. Got back from Nikko one afternoon to belting rain with three small kids and no umbrellas. Stood in the doorway of the subway for about 10 minutes waiting for a break to make a run for it. First, a person coming in gave us his umbrella and then a subway attendant gave us another two from lost property.

I highly recommend a visit to Yoyogi Park on (any given) Sunday, it's quite the experience. An easy double-up with Harajuku too as it's just round the corner.

Will give it a shot. Was planing on hitting up Harajuku Sunday anyway. I went down there midweek and it wasn’t as odd and out there as id hoped. Figured weekend would be better.

Here’s how I spent the day today
bca6b5153382fc476386395f3d0f3145.jpg

Does anyone know how I can stream the GF while overseas? I can always head down to a bar, but I’d prefer not to be around any Richmond supporters in case they win :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back