Why aren't non-Victorian clubs demanding a fairer system?

Remove this Banner Ad

Look let's be honest it is never going to change

It will always be the VFL boys club and shouldn't even be called AFL anymore because it never truly has been. Not playing down Richmonds win because they wanted it more and good on them but they did have luck along the way. I mean what team finishes 3rd and gets a home final against a team that finished 2nd???

Us non Victorian clubs will always and forever be up against it and tbh apart from the great Brisbane sides not too many non Victorian sides have beat a Victorian side in a grand final.

#VFL>AFLforever

On SM-T810 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not to mention the AFL fully fund Vic talent at the expense of SA and WA.
First thing that needs to happen is a group and voting block made up of the interstate clubs.
There are so many abnormalities that need to be addressed. I venture to say that the AFL will never stop investing in the Vic clubs but the non vic clubs should be demanding that prorata funds should be spent in the SANFL and the WAFL to start with. There has to be ways for the Non Vic clubs to force change. Lets face it the SA WA TFL teams hold a lot of strength because without them the AFL is no longer a national comp and the media would drop their broadcasting rights. We do have a lot of leverage but do we use it.

Sorry for the intrusion but it is a topic that affects the teams from the west as well.

I just wanted to point out a few numbers that do not seem to have been considered in the argument. I used 2 players only to make my point but obviously when you consider the same difference can be applied across the whole team then it makes you think.

Dustin Martin has played 178 games in his career. Of these 104 were played at the MCG.
Rory Sloane has played 165 games in his career. Of those 21 were played at the MCG.

Does the ratio of 5 to 1 give Dusty an advantage? Is this fair?

Assuming that ratio is the same across the 22 players does that give Richmond an advantage.

If you were a tourist travelling though Melbourne the week leading up to the GF you wouldn't have known who the Tigers were playing.

I can't see and don't really want the GF moved from the MCG ever....it's not the playing dimensions nor the crowd bias...it is everything else about the game that has never moved on from the VFL that's the issue.

As amer points out so undeniably is that nothing about the day caters for the non-Melbourne teams (and I include Geelong having to play an away home final on a Friday night).

It starts with an essentially exclusive Victorian membership base like the MCC, that cut into avaIlable ticketing, Melbourne Corporates (how would that corporate sponsorship war chest look Gill if you couldn't promise the local captains of industry guaranteed GF tickets?), unbalanced national media (who have a viewing audience who are mostly human and have to cater for the majority), local umpires (who are also human and we are told are "only human" and make mistakes but somehow immune from another human quality of being able to be influenced, of course, let's not get into the jacked up flight and accommodation costs.

Yes, I get it, you can't make the MCG into some pop up stadium to be moved from city to city but there a tonne of things the AFL can do to make the playing field a little more reflective of a national competition.

*ninja entry* Taking off my Port hat and putting on my SA great jumper it is completely ridiculous that Richmond played 3 home finals. You play all year to fight out for Top 4 and home ground advantage and in Adelaides case finish top. Then you play on someone else home deck. Unfortunately it is what it is. It's possible to win as both SA teams, Sydney and West Coast have shown, but it certainly makes it harder and I don't think you can argue that. The AFL is in no way shape or for 'fair'. From fixturing to the MRP to this. Vic Bias is a thing.
West Coast won the 1992 and 1994 Premierships ... that is a long time ago, different world. Massive effort though :)
Sydney beat West Coast in 2005
West Coast beat Sydney in 2006
The big one was Sydney beating Hawks in 2012 - that was a huge effort - and a standout.

Guys, its futile whinging on a forum about it, the only language they understand is MONEY and whilst the faithful turn up every second week to support their teams, even though they know they start behind the 8 ball compared to Victorian clubs, it will continue, that you can take to the bank.

Now before anyone hangs s**t on the notion of boycotting games etc. and concerns themselves with the effect this would have on their team, remember that our teams are there to represent us, if we feel that were not being represented in a manner which best suits our chances of success, why should we bother to support them.
Wether Adelaide or Port play team x @ AO in front of 50k fans or with the tarps out, the team will still be playing football at its home ground and will probably win, but the powers that be will take notice I can tell you that, just as the AFL took notice when non Vic teams dominated the early 2000's and acted to right the perceived wrong.
Its ALL about the money and its OUR bloody money, would you willingly give it to someone in the street if you knew they were going to use it against you?
No, so why continue to hand it to a corrupt league which manipulates things to suit its homeland first and its current agenda second.

The problem is that Aussie's don't stand for anything, let alone stand up for themselves, we just pander to the boss and hang s**t on anyone who dares to question the status quo and anyone with half a brain will take advantage of it because they know we just don't care enough to hit them where it hurts them hardest, the bottom line.
Take the price of petrol for example, we all know were getting ripped at the pump yet we still roll in every week and pay way overs for it and that will continue as long as we let it.
Now petrol you say is something we can't do without, your right, it would be impossible to boycott it and succeed, but what if we started boycotting smaller issues and gained a reputation as a people who refuse to be treated with such disregard, and once we earn a little respect chase the bigger issues that impact on all of us.
In a time where social media is in the palm of everyone's hand there has never been a better time to use it to OUR advantage by getting the word out that we wont stand for it any longer.
Hell, this very forum has enough fans from around the country to get things rolling and when the rest of the pack see what is trying to be achieved they will get on board, but it takes someone to start the ball rolling.
The one thing ALL non Vic supporters have in common is the feeling of being slighted by the people we hand over our hard earned to, if that isn't a reason to band together for the greater cause, I'm not sure what is.

Unfortunately I wont hold my breath, the season is over and by March 2018 most fans will have forgotten how it is and will be keen to get behind their team again in the hope that something will change when reality says it wont.

In the words of the great John Kennedy, 'Don't think, DO!'

The Adelaide Football Club is special to me and many many others, there have been too many good times, memories and connections formed over the years. I love the club and could never desert it.

I would leave the corrupt and contrived AFL in a heartbeat. No other organisation treats its fans with such contempt.

Guys, its futile whinging on a forum about it, the only language they understand is MONEY and whilst the faithful turn up every second week to support their teams, even though they know they start behind the 8 ball compared to Victorian clubs, it will continue, that you can take to the bank.

Now before anyone hangs s**t on the notion of boycotting games etc. and concerns themselves with the effect this would have on their team, remember that our teams are there to represent us, if we feel that were not being represented in a manner which best suits our chances of success, why should we bother to support them.
Wether Adelaide or Port play team x @ AO in front of 50k fans or with the tarps out, the team will still be playing football at its home ground and will probably win, but the powers that be will take notice I can tell you that, just as the AFL took notice when non Vic teams dominated the early 2000's and acted to right the perceived wrong.
Its ALL about the money and its OUR bloody money, would you willingly give it to someone in the street if you knew they were going to use it against you?
No, so why continue to hand it to a corrupt league which manipulates things to suit its homeland first and its current agenda second.

The problem is that Aussie's don't stand for anything, let alone stand up for themselves, we just pander to the boss and hang s**t on anyone who dares to question the status quo and anyone with half a brain will take advantage of it because they know we just don't care enough to hit them where it hurts them hardest, the bottom line.
Take the price of petrol for example, we all know were getting ripped at the pump yet we still roll in every week and pay way overs for it and that will continue as long as we let it.
Now petrol you say is something we can't do without, your right, it would be impossible to boycott it and succeed, but what if we started boycotting smaller issues and gained a reputation as a people who refuse to be treated with such disregard, and once we earn a little respect chase the bigger issues that impact on all of us.
In a time where social media is in the palm of everyone's hand there has never been a better time to use it to OUR advantage by getting the word out that we wont stand for it any longer.
Hell, this very forum has enough fans from around the country to get things rolling and when the rest of the pack see what is trying to be achieved they will get on board, but it takes someone to start the ball rolling.
The one thing ALL non Vic supporters have in common is the feeling of being slighted by the people we hand over our hard earned to, if that isn't a reason to band together for the greater cause, I'm not sure what is.

Unfortunately I wont hold my breath, the season is over and by March 2018 most fans will have forgotten how it is and will be keen to get behind their team again in the hope that something will change when reality says it wont.

In the words of the great John Kennedy, 'Don't think, DO!'
You're certainly right about one thing - the only language they understand is the almighty dollar.

The sad reality is as long as SA puts 40+K bums on seats every week and we hit the viewing/subscription forecasts for TV and Foxtel subscriptions as far as the AFL is concerned everything is fine.

We are not the growth market nor the traditional heartland of the VFL.

We are the supporting actor in a horror movie that you root for but know the director is going to killed off just as the rescue ship is about to land.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Adelaide Football Club is special to me and many many others, there have been too many good times, memories and connections formed over the years. I love the club and could never desert it.

I would leave the corrupt and contrived AFL in a heartbeat. No other organisation treats its fans with such contempt.

You don't need to abandon your club, still buy your memberships and memorabilia, just don't show up for a few games and stop buying the overpriced food and grog, where they make their cream.
Whilst I applaud your loyalty, Its people with your mindset who hinder change for the better.

My Mother inlaw is a die hard Crows supporter and even before the GF she said something which made me take notice, she said she might just give up on the AFL altogether and follow the Crows in the SANFL being able to see every game live instead of every second week in exchange for a kidney.

Last edited:
I'm actually starting to calm down from Saturdays loss and I'm becoming more pissed off with the system than the AFC players. How the hell can Richmond play all of their finals games at home. Imagine if Collingwood and Carlton finished 1st and 2nd and us 3rd, yet we played all of our finals, including the GF, at the Adelaide oval. Imagine the outrage, Eddies head would explode. That's insane.

We looked feeble on Saturday when we played Richmond on their home deck just as they looked feeble when they played us on ours earlier in the year.

The vics must love the petty Port V Crows and WC v Freo hatreds. Help keep us pre-occupied. "Look over there".

The system is broken.

The AFL run the competition on behalf of the clubs. Unfortunately due to weight of numbers, Non-Victorian teams simply do not have the power to demand change. However, what the non-victorian clubs should be doing is getting in Geelongs ear and get them onside. They have exactly the same issues as us as. If the rumours are correct and North Melbourne are considering a move to Tasmania full time we can swing the competition into the non-victorians favour.

Things I would change
- Pay out the MCG grand final contract, the league can afford it.
- Force out of Melbourne another 2 teams, one more to South Australia and One more to WA
- Force Melbourne teams to be the travelling guinea pigs to Tasmania and Northern Territory.

West Coast won the 1992 and 1994 Premierships ... that is a long time ago, different world. Massive effort though :)
Sydney beat West Coast in 2005
West Coast beat Sydney in 2006
The big one was Sydney beating Hawks in 2012 - that was a huge effort - and a standout.

and occurred in the face of an outrageous free kick differential

One thing the AFC should be doing though is refusing to play Melbourne clubs at their alternate venue....we played Geelong (going to be hard to shift now) Melbourne and North Melbourne outside of Melbourne this year....at least one of those would be at the MCG.

We should be lobbying for more MCG games

and occurred in the face of an outrageous free kick differential
They only got to that GF after one of the most cheat filled Prelim finals ever too. As all the neutrals cracked the shits at as well.
Non-Vic teams getting the rough end?
Hawthorn getting a ride from the umps?
#freekickhawthorn?
Well I never..

You don't need to abandon your club, still buy your memberships and memorabilia, just don't show up for a few games and stop buying the overpriced food and grog, where they make their cream.
Whilst I applaud your loyalty, Its people with your mindset who hinder change for the better.

My Mother inlaw is a die hard Crows supporter and even before the GF she said something which made me take notice, she said she might just give up on the AFL altogether and follow the Crows in the SANFL being able to see every game live instead of every second week in exchange for a kidney.
I think the answer lies more in a united front between the non-Melbourne teams at club level. It feels as though we're on the path towards a breaking point, but I don't know how far.

Oh boo hoo hoo. Another whining interstate supporter thread about how much they get shafted by the 'VFL'.

Geelong is in Victoria, was a foundation member of the VFL, and NOBODY gets screwed by the ground rules and arrangements than we do. So STFU.
How are those father son selections working out for ya?

Additionally, why should being a foundation member make the slightest difference to how you are treated?

Last edited:
Oh boo hoo hoo. Another whining interstate supporter thread about how much they get shafted by the 'VFL'.

Geelong is in Victoria, was a foundation member of the VFL, and NOBODY gets screwed by the ground rules and arrangements than we do. So STFU.
Your father/sons go alright. Pity, both port and the afc largely missed out on this small advantage.

Sorry for the intrusion but it is a topic that affects the teams from the west as well.

I just wanted to point out a few numbers that do not seem to have been considered in the argument. I used 2 players only to make my point but obviously when you consider the same difference can be applied across the whole team then it makes you think.

Dustin Martin has played 178 games in his career. Of these 104 were played at the MCG.
Rory Sloane has played 165 games in his career. Of those 21 were played at the MCG.

Does the ratio of 5 to 1 give Dusty an advantage? Is this fair?

Assuming that ratio is the same across the 22 players does that give Richmond an advantage.
Didn't think of this. Staggering.

Hmmmm...tells posters to shut up on their board whilst having a sook about same subject....rare talent that one.

So what exactly does being a 'foundation member of the VFL" entitle to you in the AFL then? You can play Port Melbourne and the likes every other week at Kardinia Park if that is what your heart so desires, maybe even open up the Ford factory for nostalgias sake on Saturday mornings.

Your father/sons go alright. Pity, both port and the afc largely missed out on this small advantage.

To be fair to Richmond 2017 though..is this the last premiership since forever that didn't have a team that had at least one F/S, priority pick or salary cap concession attached to it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back