List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget who gave you the news first.

#MRLEAKS

Can confirm that Collingwood have inquired about out of favour Melbourne star Jack Watts.

There's been a strong push from a couple high-ranking officials who want to bring him to the club.

#WHISPERZZ

Ignore all of the other educated guesses.

There's only one place to go for your #whispers

Yes, Jack Watts is a very talented footballer, would be one of our most skilled players for sure. I think people think our list is in a lot better shape than it is.
We had serious links to over the last / trade periods .... watch this space
Yes, Jack Watts is a very talented footballer, would be one of our most skilled players for sure. I think people think our list is in a lot better shape than it is.
Serioys links to Watts over last 2 trade periods..... watch this space

I just saw the Rankine V Vic Country video and he looks better than Juddy in his prime. We need him more than JK or Martin.

Gonna take a spoon but in three years I think we'll be over it.

Hey I was gonna finish that!

its gone now. i gave it to melbourne as part of the watts trade.

in all seriousness, i would be expecting the club to use 4 and 21 at the draft, with using our third and fourth pics to get a project/bargain player.

nekminnit, p4 for watts.....

Not exactly a who's who of guys at their prime though is it? I think it says more about how often teams trade performing ruckmen of a decent level. 3/4 of that list at a minimum were basically nothing when traded. We have two on that list that we basically gave away on our own. McEvoy got good value, Ryder was undervalued cos he was a human pin cushion prior to this.

McIntosh was basically a broken down wreck and still got pick 38. We picked up Williams for pick 100008 last year... that looks like decent value for a ruckman to me.
Goldie a roo for life? That's nice. If it is so I wouldn't begrudge. We are now not in a big hurry. Is that guy with the eye patch still on days of or lives? When we have cap space surely Goldy is better than a rookie or fourth round Ruck?

I think Snake was offering 4 up to get two first rounders in the 2018 draft and acquire Dom Tyson (whom rate) which is rated stronger than this draft. Which I think isnt a bad idea.

Would I do it? Its very tempting. But since 4 is locked in and one of those 4 players are all very good.....I think personally sit on 4 and keep it. But having two first rounders in 2018 and Dom Tyson is very tempting.

Only thing with Dom is he is perhaps a little soft.
Dom Tyson smells like elderberries

Okay

- Brilliant junior who captained the Oakleigh Chargers to a grand final, played for Vic Metro and was nominated AA U/18 ruck rover in 2011
- Taken by GWS with pick 3 in the 2011 draft
- 2012/13 Picked up rising star nom in his 1st year but was restricted by back & knee niggles. GWS extended his contract until the end of 2015.
- End 2013, Wanted to return to his family in Victoria. Melbourne traded pick 2 & 20 for pick 9, 53 & Tyson.
- Tyson played most of the 2014 season and was runner up in the Melbourne B&F to Jones as a 20 year old. Polled 11 Brownlow votes. Paul Roos declared him "an absolute superstar in the making"
- In 2015 he struggled with knee & hamstring issues. Never got going.
- 2016 produced another strong season and he finished 4th in the B&F as a 22 year old. His performance in the twenty-nine point win against reigning premiers Hawthorn at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in round 20 received praise from then-Melbourne coach, Paul Roos who described his performance as "elite", where Tyson recorded thirty disposals, thirteen contested possessions, a game-high eleven score involvements and two goals. Melbourne promptly extended his contract until the end of 2019.
- 2017 saw Melbourne experiment with Tyson placed in a more outside role, with the emergence of Viney & Oliver, along with the recruitment of Lewis, and he got less centre square opportunities as a result. He still averaged 25 disposals for the season, which placed him fractionally behind our leading disposal getter, Cunnington.

In our midfield, this bloke would be guaranteed 30+ disposal average player, who would also release JZ.

He is 24 years old. He is exactly the type of player we should be looking at.
Yes. But not for pick four

If i had a choice between Jack Watts and AIDS I'd be google searching recent advances in the treatment of HIV.
Thanks to recent advances you can still expect to live to ~78 yrs of age. From memory the 2016 Australian report card had male life expectancy up around 80.4 years of age. So yes I'd rather die 2.4 years sooner than witness watts in a north jumper.

I would also trade 2.4 years if it meant we got rid of goldstein in this trade period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this whole business of player manager and being a clubs list manager is a conflict of interest. AFL should step in and stop it.
Their KPIs at the club is going to be based on the quality of players they bring in. Of course they are going to talk to the star players they are managing to preference the club they're working for.

Thanks to recent advances you can still expect to live to ~78 yrs of age. From memory the 2016 Australian report card had male life expectancy up around 80.4 years of age. So yes I'd rather die 2.4 years sooner than witness watts in a north jumper.

I would also trade 2.4 years if it meant we got rid of goldstein in this trade period.

Underrated shitposting.

IT IS less than a week until the NAB AFL Trade Period opens next Monday, but the negotiations are in full swing.

The free agency window starts even earlier, on Friday, as players prepare to move clubs in another red-hot exchange period.

AFL.com.au's Trade Winds will provide a round-up of the latest action every morning until the end of the Trade Period on Thursday, October 19.

Lynch a Sun for 2018, but where to next?
Star Gold Coast forward Tom Lynch "has one foot out the door" and is set to leave after his contract expires at the end of next year, a report in The Courier Mail says.

Lynch has told people close to him he would return home to Victoria to a club with a chance of premiership success if the Suns don't become better quickly.

The co-captain's manager Robbie D'Orazio told NAB AFL Trade Radio on Wednesday Lynch would be at the club next year, but it seems likely he departs after that.

Lynch, 24, is one of the game's premier key forwards, despite a relatively lean 2017, and is expected to field enormously tempting offers.

Lynch could leave if Suns are 'getting smashed'

Rockliff and Motlop to Port, impact on Gibbs
The path is clear for midfielder Tom Rockliff to become a Port Adelaide player, with The Courier Mail reporting the Brisbane Lions won't match the Power's offer.

According to The Australian, Geelong's Steven Motlop is poised to join him "in a deal hatched many weeks ago".

Rockliff is a restricted free agent, meaning the Lions have the right to keep the 27-year-old if they offer the same terms as Port.

However, they are not expected to do so.

The Advertiser says Rockliff's decision to pick Port over Carlton means the Blues are less likely to entertain a potential Bryce Gibbs trade, who may request a return home to Adelaide.

Rockliff set for Power as Blues miss out

Port want to keep Impey
Port Adelaide speedster Jarman Impey is being targeted by Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs but The Advertiser says the Power don't want to let him go.

Port list manager Jason Cripps was unequivocal about the status of Impey, who is contracted until the end of 2018.

"He is contracted for next season – and he is a required player," Cripps said.

Former Lions captain Rockliff heading to Port Adelaide

• Greg Denham

1f242a9cfd252e52e24fdaf8783c8927
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/c4087443be9d696566c6203b9ba7613c

Former Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff will officially cross to Port Adelaide tomorrow on the opening day of the AFL’s free agency window.

Rockliff yesterday nominated the Power as his preferred second club, with Geelong free agent Daniel Motlop set to follow him.

And in other trade news, out-of-favour Western Bulldogs forward Jake Stringer is expected to nominate Essendon as his next club of choice after being moved on from the Whitten Oval.

To make room for their priority recruits within the salary cap, the Power are offloading free agent Jackson Trengove to the Bulldogs, Brendon Ah Chee, probably to West Coast, contracted player Jarman Impey to either Hawthorn or the Dogs, and contracted ruckman Matthew Lobbe to Brisbane, as exclusively reported in yesterday’s The Australian. Lobbe’s departure will give Port some salary cap relief to assistant with their recruiting targets, but they will still have to pay a large portion of his lucrative contract for several more years while at the Lions.

Rockliff turned his back on an offer from Carlton, who have now also missed out on Josh Kelly and his Greater Western Sydney teammate Jacob Hopper, who both re-signed with the Giants. They are keen on Devon Smith, who has yet to nominate where he wants to relocate to from the Giants. Port Adelaide general manager of football operations Chris Davies confirmed Rockliff would finish his career with the Power after nine seasons and 154 games with Brisbane.

“We’re pleased Tom has shown a willingness to come to Port Adelaide over the other clubs that he’s spoken to,” Davies said on radio. “It’s up to us now to work with his management to finalise what a potential deal could look like.”

Brisbane, who already hold the first pick in the national draft, could get a compensation selection at the end of the first round for losing Rockliff. Lions coach Chris Fagan yesterday declared “it’s not the end of the world, at least you get a compensation pick”.

Davies had a subtle dig at the Blues when he said he believed Rockliff chose Port Adelaide because of the lure of playing finals over the new few years. Rockliff has never played in a finals game, while Carlton finished 16th this year with six wins.

“Without wanting to talk for Tom, he wanted to go to a club that’s going to give him the best opportunity to play in finals,” Davies said. “As a free agent there’s no doubt there’s an element of financial reward, but ultimately we think we can provide him with an opportunity, if we can keep progressing from our form this year, that will give him an opportunity to play in finals,” Davies said.

Motlop toured Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast earlier this week, but he is almost certain to head to Port Adelaide in a deal hatched many weeks ago. But it depended on the Power clearing the decks to gain salary cap relief.

“We finished the 2017 season significantly under the salary cap,” Davies said. “We have capacity and it’s been amusing to sit back and listen to people suggest that we don’t over a period of time.”

“We’re comfortable with where we’ve been at with Steven. He’s a person who’s not unfamiliar to Port Adelaide, he has family links with his brother (former player Daniel) and cousin Marlon (who was on the Power’s list). He’s looking at his free agency options at the moment and I have no doubt we’ll remain in that conversation and if that includes Steven coming to the footy club then we’d obviously look at that.”

Meanwhile, Melbourne general manager of football operations Josh Mahoney yesterday said potential new recruit Jake Lever had not nominated the Demons for the money. Though he will be well compensated for the next four years after three seasons with Adelaide, the 21-year-old will earn less at Melbourne than what he could have at other interested Melbourne-based clubs, Mahoney said. Lever had been accused of chasing the big money by the Crows, but Mahoney said it was a decision based on what suited Lever the best.

“In terms of the money, what I can say is other clubs have offered more money than us for him to return to Victoria,” Mahoney said. “It’s within our pay scale and we are really comfortable with the offer we made. He chose us based on the plans we’ve got, the list we’ve got and the improvements we have shown.”

Melbourne have been working with the Crows for some time to come up with a satisfactory exchange when trading starts on Monday, but it is understood discussions have been robust, with at least one Crows official storming out of one meeting. “We’ve known for about a month that we were a chance and probably in that time, we were dealing in hypotheticals with the Crows,” Mahoney said.

The Demons have offered their first two picks in this year’s draft — Nos 10 and 27 — but that deal has so far been rejected by the Crows.

“That’s our indication so far. Our deal involved our first-round pick and our second-round pick,” Mahoney said, adding that he considered the offer to be fair based on other trades last year.

Pretty clear that there is no one that is available that will help us we so we are going to the draft , we have said all along we need elite talent.
In saying that if Hall was up for offer I would try to get him purely for his outside run .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back