News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Started as a Development Coach in 2009. Became an assistant coach in charge of defence for 2011 and moved to stoppages coach in 2012 before coming midfield and strategy coach in 2014 ever since.
Is the general feeling amongst swans supporters positive? Does he have any negative points?

Did he talk about what how he saw our needs at all yet?
He spoke of contest ball and a Sydney like game plan but as you would expect Barrett and Wallace posed the question from a victorian perspective like "will Lynch come home" "why would you want this tough job" ect. Would have to loved to hear how he feels on Ainsworth, Brodie, Bowes, Scrimshaw, how he will get Day in, May's position in the backline. How will our midfield set up me ect.

Exactly what was needed - a smart, young, modern, ambitious bloke with an extensive playing and assistant coaching record.

I just watched his press conference - he's an extremely likable guy. About f***ing time!

Rocket had completely lost the playing group by the end of the season. Was he too hard on the players? Not hard enough? What does Dew need to do to get the team playing with a bit of heart again?

Good luck, Stewie Dew. You'll need it with this lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listened to Dew on coast FM this afternoon. He seems pretty down to earth and honest about the hard work to come, but optimistic about building a strong of trust in which everyone has a role to play. Nothing revelatory, mostly just the generic sort of stuff you'd want to hear.

He did get asked if he gets to pick his own team and he said, "short answer, no". That kind of stunned me a bit, but he went on to say there would be some collaboration. It did sound to me as though some decisions might be made for him though — perhaps by Evans/AFL?

Down in Sydney for work and just heard John Longmire on the Radio. Gave a pretty glowing reference saying Stewie was able to inspire and build great relationships with every player in the club and was able to get the best out of people.

Then I watched his Press conference and I just felt a wave of confidence. He doesn't sound like his ever going to make an excuse like Rocket, or let ill discipline creep in like Bluey.

My only fear is how the * could he ever tell our new star recruit Motlop that his too fat :p

he seems incredibly unintelligent. when I'm hiring I always look for smarts and motivation, so this concerns me.

however - for some reason that I can't put my finger on - he's just so so so likeable.

I think he's a worse coach than rocket. however, history shows lots of unintelligent people coach teams to flags. if dew galvanises and inspires us to success then I suppose ultimately he'll be a better coach than rocket.

gee - how important does a true football expert assistant become? I don't think we're have one at the club currently.

anyway - time to get on board.

Is the general feeling amongst swans supporters positive? Does he have any negative points?

Really depends on the viewpoint of the supporter I guess. With Longmire's coaching and our exits each of the past 5 seasons since 2012 is that most want to lay the blame directly at the feet of Horse, while Dew and the other assistants have not really copped any heat. I guess that can be the negative point, when we have lost it generally been because due to our midfield not handling the pressure from the opposition and our forwards not getting any supply (and the likes of Rohan copping the blame for not standing up). Dew role since 2014 as the midfield coach and being in charge of strategy is overlooked by many of our supporters when that has happened.

But that is a negative of the role more than the person as the trend was moving in that direction before he took over that role. Personally I think he is suited for a senior role and had outgrown assistant coaching a few years back and was just waiting for the right job.

he seems incredibly unintelligent. when I'm hiring I always look for smarts and motivation, so this concerns me.

however - for some reason that I can't put my finger on - he's just so so so likeable.

I think he's a worse coach than rocket. however, history shows lots of unintelligent people coach teams to flags. if dew galvanises and inspires us to success then I suppose ultimately he'll be a better coach than rocket.

gee - how important does a true football expert assistant become? I don't think we're have one at the club currently.

You think he may be the idiot savant of coaching?Interesting

I just watched his press conference - he's an extremely likable guy. About f***ing time!

Rocket had completely lost the playing group by the end of the season. Was he too hard on the players? Not hard enough? What does Dew need to do to get the team playing with a bit of heart again?

Good luck, Stewie Dew. You'll need it with this lot.

I reckon the players will relate a lot more easily and better to dew than Rodney.

They would have grown up watching him play, know that he has a impressive resume, got a hot missus etc

Rocket was just a bald headed, boring bloke from Melbourne, not really anyone to jump in the trenches with.

I reckon the players will relate a lot more easily and better to dew than Rodney.

They would have grown up watching him play, know that he has a impressive resume, got a hot missus etc

Rocket was just a bald headed, boring bloke from Melbourne, not really anyone to jump in the trenches with.

Another one talking about his wife.

I think I get what you mean by that but this is an excerpt from an article with comments by Longmire on Dew which suggests the contrary

"So those relationships naturally evolve in your experience as a coach, particularly when you go from an assistant to a senior coach, but he's smart, he understands people and he's got a good ability to relate to different people."

Longmire said it was hard as an outsider to know the challenges Dew was set to face at the Suns, but was confident his experiences at the Swans would hold him in good stead.

A lesser-known Dew quality could be his trump card.

"He understands football, and understands in great detail, but he's also got a great feel for when to lighten things up as well," Longmire said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back