Carji Greeves (Best and Fairest) - Thursday 5th October

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Selwood 4th on votes per game is fantastic he is really starting to return to some of his 2012/13 form pre injury and Stewart and Menegola and Bews had fantastic years. These guys and Guthrie are the second tier players that we need to step up and become real consistent quality players if the side is to excel in September.

Scott Selwood 4th on votes per game is fantastic he is really starting to return to some of his 2012/13 form pre injury and Stewart and Menegola and Bews had fantastic years. These guys and Guthrie are the second tier players that we need to step up and become real consistent quality players if the side is to excel in September.

On Guthrie, if he doesn't piece together some consistency I can see his spot being vulnerable. I think the fact that he's the coaches favourite is really helping his case right now.

Where do we play him? I see him as more of a winger long term seeing he is okay at breaking lines and ball use not bad.

All those players you've spoken of did step up, add Duncan to the list. It's the bottom 5-6 performers in the side that are the issue.

We need to clear them out and replace with blue collar types, or hard workers. Too many front runners prancing around unwilling to do the team things.

On Guthrie, if he doesn't piece together some consistency I can see his spot being vulnerable. I think the fact that he's the coaches favourite is really helping his case right now.

Where do we play him? I see him as more of a winger long term seeing he is okay at breaking lines and ball use not bad.

He should have been dropped, plain and simple. The club did the wrong thing by him and the club by not addressing the Guthrie issue with a stint in the VFL. So he's a 'leader', big deal. He ranked 18th in the Carji, which by that, puts him in the bottom couple or fringe every game, which is exactly where he was.

He failed in every role he was put in, which is why they kept moving him. It's wrong to say he's a utility, or is at a disadvantage because he hasn't been able to settle in a position. If he performed at the level he should, consistently, he would NEVER be moved to begin with!

The club needs to get tough on all the players and start lifting expectations. This type of form slump / lack of intent would never have been accepted by the leadership group and Thompson back in the day. Nope. Chris Scott needs to take Guthrie out of cotton wool and push him, HARD. I heard Guthrie late in the season on radio interview respond to someone who questioned his form - 'the club is happy with what I'm doing, that's all that matters'. There's the proof, and the cop out. If the club is happy, why have they rated him amongst the fringe level players? BS right there.

He should be on the trade table as we speak.

He should have been dropped, plain and simple. The club did the wrong thing by him and the club by not addressing the Guthrie issue with a stint in the VFL. So he's a 'leader', big deal. He ranked 18th in the Carji, which by that, puts him in the bottom couple or fringe every game, which is exactly where he was.

He failed in every role he was put in, which is why they kept moving him. It's wrong to say he's a utility, or is at a disadvantage because he hasn't been able to settle in a position. If he performed at the level he should, consistently, he would NEVER be moved to begin with!

The club needs to get tough on all the players and start lifting expectations. This type of form slump / lack of intent would never have been accepted by the leadership group and Thompson back in the day. Nope. Chris Scott needs to take Guthrie out of cotton wool and push him, HARD. I heard Guthrie late in the season on radio interview respond to someone who questioned his form - 'the club is happy with what I'm doing, that's all that matters'. There's the proof, and the cop out. If the club is happy, why have they rated him amongst the fringe level players? BS right there.

He should be on the trade table as we speak.

I remember engaging with you about this mid way through the season, I was wrong time didn't help Guthrie at all. Chris Scott often quotes hes a good 'contested player' but when he was up forward he barely won any contests. He also failed in the creativity aspect.

I will say he isn't a bad kick and his lock down role is okay... unlucky for him Bews has completely made that role his own, hes outstanding at it and his rebound and contested efforts far surpass that of Guthries.

So if he cant play forward or back where to chuck him? The clubs got to do the right thing by him and lock him down in a position and not shop him round like a gypsy. As stated before his kickings not bad and he can break lines, as far as consistency goes previous seasons (removing this one as an outlier) he is a more reliable then Murdoch and we are losing Motlop. I see a position on the wing open up, but I have stated before that I wouldn't be surprised to see Parsons move into that role. I'm sure Pivo Vdubs would concur in his junior days he can play this role anyway, catswhiskers could probably give us further insight on Parsons VFL form and competency in positions played.

Overall back on Guthrie if he falls out of favour with Scott I think he's being quickly overtaken by a better young crop and will likely lose his position... should he not improve.

I remember engaging with you about this mid way through the season, I was wrong time didn't help Guthrie at all. Chris Scott often quotes hes a good 'contested player' but when he was up forward he barely won any contests. He also failed in the creativity aspect.

I will say he isn't a bad kick and his lock down role is okay... unlucky for him Bews has completely made that role his own, hes outstanding at it and his rebound and contested efforts far surpass that of Guthries.

So if he cant play forward or back where to chuck him? The clubs got to do the right thing by him and lock him down in a position and not shop him round like a gypsy. As stated before his kickings not bad and he can break lines, as far as consistency goes previous seasons (removing this one as an outlier) he is a more reliable then Murdoch and we are losing Motlop. I see a position on the wing open up, but I have stated before that I wouldn't be surprised to see Parsons move into that role. I'm sure Pivo Vdubs would concur in his junior days he can play this role anyway, catswhiskers could probably give us further insight on Parsons VFL form and competency in positions played.

Overall back on Guthrie if he falls out of favour with Scott I think he's being quickly overtaken by a better young crop and will likely lose his position... should he not improve.
According to ER talent manager, and from what I saw at ER, Parsons is a perfect winger, even HBF

Agree, good post.

In addition, Tuohy has also well and truly left Guthrie for dead as an attacking defender too. While Menegola and Scott Selwood offer more in the middle. The wing may be all that is left. He was horrible up forward as you said, Cockatoo and Gaz will be there anyway, add McCarthy and Gregson potentially too.

Guthrie should start 2018 in the VFL, as Menegola was made to (even though his 2016 was good!). As you suggested, all clubs play favourites.

which is the pick we will get for motlop. so effectively we would be trading watts for motlop.

Maybe....the Adelaide bid for Motlop may change things...reported at 600K+ would probably snag us and end of first round pick, which makes it a game changer. We should both be hoping for Adelaide to get him if that's the end result.

[SNIP]
I see a position on the wing open up, but I have stated before that I wouldn't be surprised to see Parsons move into that role. I'm sure Pivo Vdubs would concur in his junior days he can play this role anyway, catswhiskers could probably give us further insight on Parsons VFL form and competency in positions played.
[SNIP]

From what I saw in the VFL Parsons is more an onballer than forward.
He showed the quick reactions and smarts once he settled in and that's what has allowed him to contribute at HF in the AFL side. On ball though, he showed he could find the footy, create time and space and deliver well. I think I said he played like Pendlebury (but not at his output obviously).They didn't play him enough on ball in that first year though.

I would hope we find better goal scoring small forwards AND Parsons puts on 5 kg, builds his tank, and plays further up the ground.
I like Guthrie down back, Stewart, Touhy, Bews (and Kolo) also. Zuthrie is close. Hence Ruggles is in a tight spot and even Thurlow may get a tap on the shoulder (trade).

But thats just me thinking out loud. I really liked Gore's work too!

Last edited:
According to ER talent manager, and from what I saw at ER, Parsons is a perfect winger, even HBF
I've always felt Parsons could eventually slot into that attacking half-back role. He has the attributes of a sweeper type to my eye.

But I'm also very biased when it comes to him so I do view him through rose coloured glasses.

I've always felt Parsons could eventually slot into that attacking half-back role. He has the attributes of a sweeper type to my eye.

But I'm also very biased when it comes to him so I do view him through rose coloured glasses.
What's the origin of your bias, if you don't mind me asking?
I love it when people have a bias towards Parsons. I rate him, and think we got a real bargain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the origin of your bias, if you don't mind me asking?
I love it when people have a bias towards Parsons. I rate him, and think we got a real bargain.
Watched a little bit of him during his draft year. The games I saw he never got big numbers but I always felt there was some footy smarts about him.

I don't think he really displayed his kicking ability in the seniors this year but he did show off his quick hands and quick brain.

I totally agree with you, he was a bargain get for us.

Watched a little bit of him during his draft year. The games I saw he never got big numbers but I always felt there was some footy smarts about him.

I don't think he really displayed his kicking ability in the seniors this year but he did show off his quick hands and quick brain.

I totally agree with you, he was a bargain get for us.
The smarts and the quickness are the keys. He seems to have that in abundance, and hearing some of our guns talk about him, ie Danger and JSelwood, they rate him. He seemed to have just fitted in immediately, rare for a rookie, and he acquitted himself pretty well in a position that is not his natural habitat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back