Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Only have to look at how childish they’ve been towards Lever requesting a trade to see what sort of club they are and how they must be run.

Good news is, they’ll obviously take the moral high ground and not poach players from opposition clubs..
Childish would be saying you’re going home for family reasons when it’s $ and always been about $ or telling your “mates” by phone rather than in person when you get the chance, or by using BT as a mouth piece all year or by spreading rumors that your first offer was lower that what you are currently getting or lying about having meetings mid season with other clubs or expecting a top 10 bnf result when you’ve missed 5 games.
The lever camp have tried to make us sound like the evil ones here we are fighting back and it’s making a lot of people salty.

Jun 29, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
None of those other things have anything to do with Jake Lever whatsoever....

You're pretty much admitting that Adelaide are taking out years' worth of anger on a 21 year old kid.....

I know they don't I'm saying all those things combined are why we are carrying on like we are. It's not anger at all it's frustration and disappointment.

Lost Davis and Bock to new teams for money.
Lost Gunston as he was a mummy's boy.
Kept Danger for 7 years.
Lever another mummy's boy.
So I think we are just drafting the wrong players. Need to draft more Sa players and players with good character.
So why dodee over burton?

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Childish would be saying you’re going home for family reasons when it’s $ and always been about $

Don't you just want to vomit when players trot out the old "It's not about the money" line? They think the public is stupid. Of course it's about the money, it's why most contemporary players even play the game.

As for "family reasons", give me a break. We all remember how Tippet wanted to return to Brisbane for "family reasons", but his priorities altered the moment he got a better offer from Sydney :)

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Don't you just want to vomit when players trot out the old "It's not about the money" line? They think the public is stupid. Of course it's about the money, it's why most contemporary players even play the game.

As for "family reasons", give me a break. We all remember how Tippet wanted to return to Brisbane for "family reasons", but his priorities altered the moment he got a better offer from Sydney :)
Mitch clarke as well.
Most people would understand lever going home as well as getting a pay rise, but just be honest and say that.

The Flying Doormat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2008
Carrickalinga
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tranmere Rovers
Richmond finished 1 win behind us? The line for the game was around 1 goal. 'Stormed into the GF', what did you not see Richmond smash Geelong and the Giants?????

'Wet the bed' ?? Huh???

'Infighting' oh you mean the BS rumours that have been contradicted by Lever's manager and credible journalists rather than s**t stirrers like Kane Cornes.....

Club in crisis??? Yeah right. Lever is moving clubs. Massive crisis. Keath slots in to his position.

Your best and fairest winner just assaulted the police, you're losing 3 players this year, Impey smashed up some cars and ran from the cops, you have racist banana throwers and people who call Tex a pedo and Eddie a monkey on social media and in the news, you have a Presidnt who insults the players with his ego maniac and speech that pissed off the players after the they choked in their home final....God this is too easy.
Deflection, a great way to hide your mistakes.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Adelaide are not doing themselves a favour after their meltdowns post-grand final.

I think their treatment of Lever (who by the rules is uncontracted and therefore allowed to seek a trade) comes across as unprofessional to me. If the reports of the spray given to Lever and Cameron for requesting a trade are true, then that sort of adds to perhaps what may be viewed as a hostile environment at Adelaide brought on by the leadership group. Ablett put Gold Coast through much more than Lever, yet he still attended the B&F.

You don't have your leadership group approach the coach to have a required player sit out because he is likely going to request a trade. It's not a good look for them. I think they'd need to make some changes in their leadership group to make it a more relaxed environment.

The inability to retain players can't possibly be only because they draft a lot of Victorians when Port don't have the same problem. Has to be an environmental thing.

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
A little bit desperate from Burton.
This sort of public shaming of former players is noted and becomes a part of Their culture
Yes absolutely - the correct procedure involves leaking the information to journalists so they can do it for the club rather than being transparent yourself.

To be honest as a supporter I have no issue with a club official giving a this explanation as to the player loss. I'm sure due to the number of high profile losses in recent times the club has been getting harassed by high up members so might have decided this time make sure the reasons are known so supporters understand what situation the club is dealing with. I agree Burton's handling and tone etc wasn't a good look, it really needed to be done in a more matter of fact without any emotion to avoid looking like a flog or just being bitter.

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Obviously you can't pay them all, but you can't let all of them walk either. Maybe Lever is the wrong one to offer overs to (in hindsight Jenkins obviously was), but at some point (probably next year) you have to stop the bleeding.

Plus you're in the window, if Lever goes this year and Sloane exercises his FA options next, you're probably out of it again.
Jenkins isn't on massive overs that would effect our ability to retain guys, he's on $550k the issue for him was more related to the length of the contract which we may find ourselves in trouble with in a year or two but I guess the jury is out on that. $550k is a bit much but I'd guess he'd collect $450k at most clubs, hell Brisbane were offering $750k which definitely drove his price up a bit.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
So why dodee over burton?

Guess there were 3 reasons all linked
Burton was Longevity, they could not grantee how long he will play due to the serious aspect of his injury,
Doedee has the ability to match Burton, for output going on his TAC output.
Doedee was a defensive player who was not beaten one on one during his time in the TAC comp while Burton only played Forward up until you guys drafted him.

Just a bit about Doedee
After watching him all year in the SANFL apart from the height he a close to a Like for Like to Lever there is and he also a lot quicker. Topped the SANFL in intercept possessions, was 6th in intercept marks, 12th in spoils, came 2nd in SANFL Club Champion by 1 point
Note, he missed 5 games early due to injury and has not completed a preseason.

But with all that said Time will tell, We will have to review this post in 12 months see if he can sum run on the board.

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

This is exactly it for me, I wouldn't begrudge Lever going if he just said something along the lines of "I'm being offered a lot more than Adelaide can offer, I've enjoyed my time here but people and fans need to understand this is a job as well as a passion so making this decision for my financial future is important to me." Sure the loyalty aspect might grate a little but most people offered 30-50% more money would take that and change jobs too if they are honest with themselves.

Then there's Lever blatantly lying which is the part that does get under my skin. For the record he's terrible at lying too, the guys body language (eyes and voice tone) totally changes when he's not speaking the truth which has been quite a lot in the 2nd half of this year. It's pretty insulting fans have to hear this garbage when I think many, maybe even most these days are mature enough to accept money as a valid reason to move rather than hide behind stupid spin. If we want spin we'll listen to our politicians, at least some of them can deliver it convincingly even if you still know it's s**t.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Adelaide are not doing themselves a favour after their meltdowns post-grand final.

I think their treatment of Lever (who by the rules is uncontracted and therefore allowed to seek a trade) comes across as unprofessional to me. If the reports of the spray given to Lever and Cameron for requesting a trade are true, then that sort of adds to perhaps what may be viewed as a hostile environment at Adelaide brought on by the leadership group. Ablett put Gold Coast through much more than Lever, yet he still attended the B&F.

You don't have your leadership group approach the coach to have a required player sit out because he is likely going to request a trade. It's not a good look for them. I think they'd need to make some changes in their leadership group to make it a more relaxed environment.

The inability to retain players can't possibly be only because they draft a lot of Victorians when Port don't have the same problem. Has to be an environmental thing.
Definately didn't happen. You realise cameron attended the best and fairest as did danger the year he left. Lever and his camp have brought it on themselves with their unprofessional handling of matters, including breaking team and possible contract rules. The rubbish leaks (such as our opening offer being lower than what he's currently on) have come from his side, BT hasn't helped at all.

I know they don't I'm saying all those things combined are why we are carrying on like we are. It's not anger at all it's frustration and disappointment.
You could understand a kid doing it for a couple of hours, but please, it has been seven days of constant sooking. Grow up Crows.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
This is exactly it for me, I wouldn't begrudge Lever going if he just said something along the lines of "I'm being offered a lot more than Adelaide can offer, I've enjoyed my time here but people and fans need to understand this is a job as well as a passion so making this decision for my financial future is important to me." Sure the loyalty aspect might grate a little but most people offered 30-50% more money would take that and change jobs too if they are honest with themselves.

Then there's Lever blatantly lying which is the part that does get under my skin. For the record he's terrible at lying too, the guys body language (eyes and voice tone) totally changes when he's not speaking the truth which has been quite a lot in the 2nd half of this year. It's pretty insulting fans have to hear this garbage when I think many, maybe even most these days are mature enough to accept money as a valid reason to move rather than hide behind stupid spin. If we want spin we'll listen to our politicians, at least some of them can deliver it convincingly even if you still know it's s**t.

I've watched football since the 1960s, and it was rare to see top line players switch to another club in those days. Loyalty to one's club was paramount. However, this is the 21st century. Sadly (for me), the game is no longer the game I loved as a kid. It is a business now, first and foremost, its only correlation to being a sport is people in the parklands play a similar type of game.

We are seeing AFL going the way as the NRL, the way NBA went 30 years ago. With situations such as Buddy, Lever, etc all stating they want to be at the one club for life, it has made us aware of how quickly this attitude can change. People made it sound as though there was constant bad blood with Lever. Graham Cornes even went so far as to suggest Adelaide should not have chosen Lever in their Grand Final. This, of course, is absolute nonsense. On the day, Lever was still a Crows player and would have loved to have won a premiership. How many chances do you get?

I remember when the siren rang to end the 2013 GF and the Hawks had just defeated Freo. There was no happier man on that ground than Buddy Franklin, even though we found out later that he'd known for 12 months he'd be going to Sydney. It didn't change him wanting to win on that day.

People need to get used to the idea that even though, as members, we remain loyal to our clubs, to players it's the way they make their living. It's life in the 21st century, and the day of the one club career player is drawing to a close.

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've watched football since the 1960s, and it was rare to see top line players switch to another club in those days. Loyalty to one's club was paramount. However, this is the 21st century. Sadly (for me), the game is no longer the game I loved as a kid. It is a business now, first and foremost, its only correlation to being a sport is people in the parklands play a similar type of game.

We are seeing AFL going the way as the NRL, the way NBA went 30 years ago. With situations such as Buddy, Lever, etc all stating they want to be at the one club for life, it has made us aware of how quickly this attitude can change. People made it sound as though there was constant bad blood with Lever. Graham Cornes even went so far as to suggest Adelaide should not have chosen Lever in their Grand Final. This, of course, is absolute nonsense. On the day, Lever was still a Crows player and would have loved to have won a premiership. How many chances do you get?

I remember when the siren rang to end the 2013 GF and the Hawks had just defeated Freo. There was no happier man on that ground than Buddy Franklin, even though we found out later that he'd known for 12 months he'd be going to Sydney. It didn't change him wanting to win on that day.

People need to get used to the idea that even though, as members, we remain loyal to our clubs, to players it's the way they make their living. It's life in the 21st century, and the day of the one club career player is drawing to a close.
I completely agree with all of your post. It's a bit sad the loyalty is less and less but money talks it's just the reality of it these days. I don't blame players for wanting to capitalise on their time in the sun, just respect the ones who opt to take less and show the loyalty in higher regard.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
They draft well, and can't afford to pay overs to keep players.

70 percent of there list is not from SA. Most of these players will receive offers from there home state on more money than adelaide can afford to pay.

They need an academy to even things up.

Guess there were 3 reasons all linked
Burton was Longevity, they could not grantee how long he will play due to the serious aspect of his injury,
Doedee has the ability to match Burton, for output going on his TAC output.
Doedee was a defensive player who was not beaten one on one during his time in the TAC comp while Burton only played Forward up until you guys drafted him.

Just a bit about Doedee
After watching him all year in the SANFL apart from the height he a close to a Like for Like to Lever there is and he also a lot quicker. Topped the SANFL in intercept possessions, was 6th in intercept marks, 12th in spoils, came 2nd in SANFL Club Champion by 1 point
Note, he missed 5 games early due to injury and has not completed a preseason.

But with all that said Time will tell, We will have to review this post in 12 months see if he can sum run on the board.
More dodee another Victorian potential flight risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back