Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respect your opinion.

Not sure about Schache issues, but hard to imagine them being anywhere near as significant as Stringers (a relationship breakup involving two children, gambling problem and 17yo girls and publicly sacked by your coach not to mention the front page headlines across the country and every major news channel
).
As uninformed outsiders it's hard to compare. Brisbane and Schache did a pretty solid job of covering his issues and retaining his perceived value. Jake's issues have regrettably gone very public, which has likely helped no one. Hopefully a deal is done and no one is left ruing earlier leaks.

If on-field performance were the litmus test, I'd suggest Schache's issues had a bigger impact in his 2017 than Jake's, but that is my own utterly uninformed speculation.

Respect your opinion.

Not sure about Schache issues, but hard to imagine them being anywhere near as significant as Stringers (a relationship breakup involving two children, gambling problem and 17yo girls and publicly sacked by your coach not to mention the front page headlines across the country and every major news channel
).

Schache would be a good get.
Most of where he is at would likely be stemming from being 19, away from home and struggling with form (much like Francis).
Get him back home to Vic and he'll back to his U18 form where he was a dominant forward.

24,28 & 46 for Schache & 19 (good points for Ballenden for them)
19 on Stringer
Future 2nd on Saad

Stringer Daniher Tippa
Fantasia Schache Stewart

Hooker moves to FB.

Sadly, we just don't need that many picks in this year's draft, so accepting that would be unfeasible. The points calculator is therefore pointless to assess that deal, considering our tight list spots. Where it is more useful is to calculate what you paid for Smith. No matter where the Giants finish in 2017, it looks like GWS almost gave Smith away as steak knives.

I personally would have done that trade with our pick 9 and laughed all the way to the bank. Well played.
But they do say you will be needing points next year, correct? 2nd and a future 2nd gets it done. The only issue would seem the supporter expectation for a trophy pick this year after top 10 talk by the dogs?

But they do say you will be needing points next year, correct? 2nd and a future 2nd gets it done. The only issue would seem the supporter expectation for a trophy pick this year after top 10 talk by the dogs?
That's the most feasible deal I can think of. Allows us to trade for Saad with one of the other 2nd rounders we have left over.

Pretty impressed with the way Dev Smith spoke on trade radio earlier, can't read too much into one interview but seems to have a good head on his shoulders and spoke very honestly. Not sure a lot of players would open up like he did about not getting picked in the prelim, seems keen to improve and show what he can do as a midfielder.

Stringer obviously has the most talent of the 3S but getting Smith over the line is personally the one I'm most happy about.

Pure Dodoro gold. Forget "we have three players to trade in" and instead think "who wants pick 11 the most?" Now sort out Saad, and go to the Bulldogs with what's left. I'm betting you get something back for your two second-rounders.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think it was more "how do we get all 3 done" and a trade down of 11 was the obvious solution. Bulldogs just thought they could force us to focus on their deal, paying slight overs in the process, at the expense of the others.

Schache would be a good get.
Most of where he is at would likely be stemming from being 19, away from home and struggling with form (much like Francis).
Get him back home to Vic and he'll back to his U18 form where he was a dominant forward.

24,28 & 46 for Schache & 19 (good points for Ballenden for them)
19 on Stringer
Future 2nd on Saad

Stringer Daniher Tippa
Fantasia Schache Stewart

Hooker moves to FB.
wowie, in the age of small forward lines with maximum pressure types that's a REALLY BIG forward structure!

I'd say a future second and a late first rounder this year gets it done. Gotta have that technical first rounder. Jake's value (top 5 pick + without on field issues) was already trashed and the damage was already done by the time this went public. In the absence of getting a return for Jake that in any way reflects his footballing ability, it became all about finding compensation we could live with IMO. Gotta sell it to the members, gotta save face. And most importantly, don't appear to be screwed over. Any club would balk at accepting a measly second (or even failing to acquire a technical first rounder) for a player of Stringer's ability when compared to the counter-case of sending a message, maintaining face, showing you won't be screwed over, whatever you want to call it, or even the possibility of Jake staying. I'd much prefer to roll the dice on Jake staying and sorting things out than taking a crappy and almost inconsequential offer.

Trade two of your seconds for a late first, sent it to us with a future second and essentially you have turned three pieces of not much into a potential jet. You basically got a free 2nd rounder from GWS, so I don't see it as a bad deal for you. I assume it still leaves you with a second or future second for Saad too.

Anyway, will be fascinating to see how it plays out now that Essendon have called the initial bluff.

wowie, in the age of small forward lines with maximum pressure types that's a REALLY BIG forward structure!

I'd say a future second and a late first rounder this year gets it done. Gotta have that technical first rounder. Jake's value (top 5 pick + without on field issues) was already trashed and the damage was already done by the time this went public. In the absence of getting a return for Jake that in any way reflects his footballing ability, it became all about finding compensation we could live with IMO. Gotta sell it to the members, gotta save face. And most importantly, don't appear to be screwed over. Any club would balk at accepting a measly second (or even failing to acquire a technical first rounder) for a player of Stringer's ability when compared to the counter-case of sending a message, maintaining face, showing you won't be screwed over, whatever you want to call it, or even the possibility of Jake staying. I'd much prefer to roll the dice on Jake staying and sorting things out than taking a crappy and almost inconsequential offer.

Trade two of your seconds for a late first, sent it to us with a future second and essentially you have turned three pieces of not much into a potential jet. You basically got a free 2nd rounder from GWS, so I don't see it as a bad deal for you. I assume it still leaves you with a second or future second for Saad too.

Anyway, will be fascinating to see how it plays out now that Essendon have called the initial bluff.
I doubt we would cough up 3 x 2nd rounders, a late 1st rounder should be enough.

While I see your point, you wont be getting the equivalent of 3 of our second rounders.

Knowing Dodoro's history, I imagine if we manage to get 17 from the Tigers (or something like that), we will put that out in front of you and say take it or leave it (and bank on the fact that on the final day of trade week at 4:59pm that you will fold). To break the ice we might swap later picks (i.e our 3rd this year for your 4th or something like that) but that would be the crux of it. I wouldn't give anymore, you get your technical first rounder to sell to your members.

That leaves two seconds to figure something out for Saad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Connors will go down the "you are hurting his mental health poor jake card" before the beach if contract crap is rolled out.

That would be a very good deal for the doggies but not impossible that we cough it up, we could be really keen on stringer.

The draft pick points are a load of Piffle, they only serve a purpose when buying academy of fs kids.

The pick points are static but the quality of kids in a draft are fluid...

I hate this business of saying picks 23 and 29 are worth more than 11, what crap, in a shallow draft pick 29 might as well be worth zero points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back