AFLW AFLW General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a lot of extra players to find over the next 2 years from an existing talent pool that is struggling as it is. A big ask.
At least we got in early and are pretty well established relative the existing teams.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The most exciting news to come out of this is that the cheeky bids by Essendon and Hawthorn have been rightly slapped down.

That's a lot of extra players to find over the next 2 years from an existing talent pool that is struggling as it is. A big ask.
At least we got in early and are pretty well established relative the existing teams.

Given the money being tipped into state level, I don't think it's a huge ask. TAC girls comp started this year, for example.

The junior pathway will be saturated at that point as well, as I believe it's already had an AIS & national program for 3 or 4 years?

Fair enough but it's still going to take some time. The standard of the comp was pretty average this year and now we have to further dilute the pool.

Then another 4 teams the following year.. thats 6 more teams in two years!
We saw what just two teams did to the well established mens league.

Emphasis being well-established, ie. the supply had long been tapped.

They'll also be running half a season less than the men's game until the depth is fully established. Classic case of a developing economy versus a developed one.

Emphasis being well-established, ie. the supply had long been tapped.

They'll also be running half a season less than the men's game until the depth is fully established. Classic case of a developing economy versus a developed one.
What I mean by well established is that there were plenty of young men playing football at a high level under AFL level.
Thats just not the case in womens footy.

What I mean by well established is that there were plenty of young men playing football at a high level under AFL level.
Thats just not the case in womens footy.

In the senior ranks? There's enough, but the biggest gaps are the amount of training and the development pathways. Both issues have been addressed.

By 2019, the listed players will have 3 pre-seasons under their belts, and there'll have been something like 6 or 7 years of academy teams alongside at least an entire squad at each state-level junior club having been put through more professional programs (and talent ID prior to that).

It'll make a big difference. Don't discount the increase of code hoppers as the salaries go up too (the big fish would be Kerr's sister, Samantha).

In the senior ranks? There's enough, but the biggest gaps are the amount of training and the development pathways. Both issues have been addressed.

By 2019, the listed players will have 3 pre-seasons under their belts, and there'll have been something like 6 or 7 years of academy teams alongside at least an entire squad at each state-level junior club having been put through more professional programs (and talent ID prior to that).

It'll make a big difference. Don't discount the increase of code hoppers as the salaries go up too (the big fish would be Kerr's sister, Samantha).
If by senior ranks you mean senior football outside of the AFL then yes.
Surely it can't be too flash if a player like Adelaides Perkins is playing at the highest level, that's an indictment on professional sport. Can you imagine if other professional codes from around the world see her as an Australian professional athlete playing at the highest level, they'll laugh at us.

If by senior ranks you mean senior football outside of the AFL then yes.
Surely it can't be too flash if a player like Adelaides Perkins is playing at the highest level, that's an indictment on professional sport. Can you imagine if other professional codes from around the world see her as an Australian professional athlete playing at the highest level, they'll laugh at us.

She dropped something like 40 kgs after they kicked the tyres the first time, and they took a risk on her talent. It paid off.

And again, that was the first professional pre-season for many of these players. Let's resume this in Round 8 of the 2018 AFLW season. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She dropped something like 40 kgs after they kicked the tyres the first time, and they took a risk on her talent. It paid off.

And again, that was the first professional pre-season for many of these players. Let's resume this in Round 8 of the 2018 AFLW season.
40kgs? Thats huge. Before the season even started?
Still not a good look for the comp but I take my hat of to her.

I guess with this expansion I'll see my first Carlton game down at Kardinia Park in a few years.

If only the state government would spend $150m on our stadium... although there are rumours of a more modest investment to turn Princes Park into the proper home of AFLW, I'll take whatever we can get.

It isn't a real payrise, they're just being paid for what was unpaid overtime last year. More contact hours but the hourly rate stays the same and so do the match fees.

The real payrise will happen for 2019, hopefully something along the lines of the recent Netball Australia payrise which occured as a direct response to the creation of the AFLW in a bid to stop players from jumping codes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back