List Mgmt. Gibbs - 2017 Trade Discussions! V2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you don't want is to leave yourself without any youth. You miss a few first rounds and you had better be trading in the right age players.

So giving away your ONLY first round pick is a much bigger risk than giving away one / keeping one.

We have three first round players coming through in 2018 - Milera, Gallucci, Doedee - we are playing this pretty well imo. I wouldn't care if we had no first rounders in 2017 draft.
4 first rounders in two years is an opportunity that doesn't come around often. It's a chance to build the core of a great team that can be strong over the next 10 years (under Matt Crouch perhaps...).

frankly I'm not convinced our current squad is worth sacrificing that for. Let's face it, Gibbs wouldn't have made a difference, and he won't make a difference next year either - we'd barely be breaking even with the loss of Smith and we've got Lever to cover as well. Neither of which will even matter if Tex can't get his foot right, lead by example, and mend a few of our side's pea-hearts.

call me cynical if you like, but IMO that's an honest appraisal. We failed this year in the exact same way we've failed in previous years, it just happened a couple of weeks later. Time to swallow some pride and refresh the list lest we follow in the Eagles post-2015 footsteps.

Screw you for a contracted player at the peak of his powers while you desperately need experienced bodies to challenge for the flag again? Say it ain't so!?

29yo players are generally not at the peak of their powers. If he's not even making the AA squad at his supposed "peak" then he's not worth 2 x 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder.

Their 2nd rounder shouldn't be too far from our first.

Sacking a bloke who just a week ago got 2 first rounders after everyone thought we were mad, plus pick 39 for a guy who hasn't played a game
....... glad you're not in charge
Carlton, if they have a good run with injuries, may do a lot better next year than some expect. They have some pretty exciting talent coming through.

Screw you for a contracted player at the peak of his powers while you desperately need experienced bodies to challenge for the flag again? Say it ain't so!?
Peak of his powers lol.

He wants to live in Adelaide, and he came to us. In fact your club came to us.

29yo players are generally not at the peak of their powers. If he's not even making the AA squad at his supposed "peak" then he's not worth 2 x 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder.
+1

He has at best 2 years left in him. We have paid a hefty price for him. I feel its the wrong move.

FFS should have grabbed Rocky for free and sat on our 1sts.

The Herald Sun understands that Carlton was set to send its superstar midfielder as well as its 2018 second-round selection to the Crows.

In return the Blues would net pick No.10 and Adelaide’s 2018 first-round selection.

The Blues also believed Adelaide’s 2018 second-round selection would be sent back. Adelaide did not believe that formed part of the deal.

For those that can't get past the Herald Sun pay wall.
Wow. This is the biggest professional sporting league in our country, right?

It sounds like 2 blokes talking about trading a car for a PlayStation and some other s**t and arguing over what s**t they did and didn't offer.

Do we need to get the cards or with big words on them and hand them around and play swapsies?

Carlton, if they have a good run with injuries, may do a lot better next year than some expect. They have some pretty exciting talent coming through.
Their best players are still their oldest, they had a relatively good run this year and Matt Wright still finished top 3 in their goal kicking.

They're garbage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 first rounders in two years is an opportunity that doesn't come around often. It's a chance to build the core of a great team that can be strong over the next 10 years (under Matt Crouch perhaps...).

frankly I'm not convinced our current squad is worth sacrificing that for. Let's face it, Gibbs wouldn't have made a difference, and he won't make a difference next year either - we'd barely be breaking even with the loss of Smith and we've got Lever to cover as well. Neither of which will even matter if Tex can't get his foot right, lead by example, and mend a few of our side's pea-hearts.

call me cynical if you like, but IMO that's an honest appraisal. We failed this year in the exact same way we've failed in previous years, it just happened a couple of weeks later. Time to swallow some pride and refresh the list lest we follow in the Eagles post-2015 footsteps.

What concerns me is the hope that a lot of posters have in Milera, Gallucci, Doedee who have yet to show any "great" signs of dominating in our team next year.

Getting Gibbs is great, but not at the cost of two 10+ year players potentially. Gibbs has a limited shelf life. Make no mistake inside 3 years and he is into a decline, thats the likely reality based on AFL players hitting 30+.

+1

He has at best 2 years left in him. We have paid a hefty price for him. I feel its the wrong move.

FFS should have grabbed Rocky for free and sat on our 1sts.
I reckon he's a guy who will play decent footy into his 30s. Not Sam Mitchell obviously but I reckon he has 3-4 good years especially with a youngish midfield coming into their peak.

Wow. This is the biggest professional sporting league in our country, right?

It sounds like 2 blokes talking about trading a car for a PlayStation and some other s**t and arguing over what s**t they did and didn't offer.

Do we need to get the cards or with big words on them and hand them around and play swapsies?

Agreed. If this is true - totally amateur hour. Or Carlton trying to squeeze us at the death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back