Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally agree on all points, every organisation needs people that have good experience, and to guide the new,

Not sure if North puts high enough value upon experience, let alone use it to benefit.

Experience is a valuable commodity that should be utilised.
I have to say I never thought I'd see the day when somebody would have a crack at North for not valuing experience....

Totally agree on all points, every organisation needs people that have good experience, and to guide the new,

Not sure if North puts high enough value upon experience, let alone use it to benefit.

Experience is a valuable commodity that should be utilised.

Also i think it's good culturally to reward good performers...shows everyone on the list that if you work hard, do everything we ask, finish high in the b&f etc you will be rewarded. So then everyone will strive for it.

You kind of have a situation now where some players, especially older ones MIGHT be disheartened where they know even if they have an amazing season next year, they'll still get cut anyway...and young players kind of know they could be 'gifted' games rather than earning them.

I have to say I never thought I'd see the day when somebody would have a crack at North for not valuing experience....
For the last few years we have been crying out for Brad to reward the younger players and drop some experience ones who wern't performing.
Even playing with injuries at times and not resting them at all was questioned by many.

Some of the experienced players kept getting games to the detriment of our future but we were in the Flag window so fair enough. Now the time has come for the club to cut the fat and play youth.

Goldy,Zeibell,Cunners,Tas,Higgins,Thomson,Swallow,Thomas,Waite/JMac,Atley,Jacobs,Wright are still there so we have enough experience, at least 4 of them will go next year aswell as they will be well and truly past it.

In my 40 odd years I've never seen North bottom out and now that we are it's meant to be a bad thing because experienced players Not up to it are getting the chop.

It's about time the club grew some balls.

Last edited:

With the news of the 1 year contracts to the other players today Gibson has to be the unluckiest bloke going around! Has the club come out and said why they have got rid of our 6th best player this season or is everyone just assuming its 'to get more games into the young players'?

With the news of the 1 year contracts to the other players today Gibson has to be the unluckiest bloke going around! Has the club come out and said why they have got rid of our 6th best player this season or is everyone just assuming its 'to get more games into the young players'?
Yes our new list boss has made that perfectly clear on the Afl site about why.

Posters here will know your list and situation better than me...but i would have thought he'd be useful to keep around during the rebuild.

You can't just play a shitload of kids...that's how you do a Melbourne. Kids need experience around them to lead by example...Gibson certainly did in terms of showing kids the standards of being professional and a hard worker. At the very least he'd be handy insurance on a cheap contract even if he played some VFL games next year.

Also some big signs as to why he could have expected to get a contract...eg you say senior players were dropped regularly, but he wasn't one of them he's played 130 games straight. He finished 6th in the b&f after a 3rd place finish last year...it's rare to see a player cut after two high placed finishes in a row.
I agree. Especially when you factor in our new VFL team. Give him a small one year contract and transition him into a develop coaching role. You can't teach his work ethic. The clubs best runner.

Adelaide list boss Justin Reid had this to say on new Crow Sam Gibson.

“Having started his AFL career at 25, Sam is still relatively young in football terms,” Reid said.

“His professionalism and work ethic is well known around the competition and he will add flexibility to our midfield group.

“Sam is excited to continue his career in Adelaide and we look forward to what he will bring to our playing squad.”

Happy he got his wish to kick on, obviously it's shopped, but he doesn't look happy at all in his new colours! Best of luck to him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did he go?

Pretty good debut for Gibbo, considering he was playing in a monsoon and coming off a hamstring injury. Played on McRae, but nowhere near as well as he has done for us in the past. But a hard match to judge him on I think, given the conditions. Still ran hard all day, laid some good tackles, had some nice link-ups, and just generally looked like he'd been beamed up from a North match and put in different colours. All in all, a very serviceable debut in what were pretty awful playing conditions.

Was pleased to see his new teammates get around him a bit - saw Lynch put his arm around his shoulders as they walked down the race at the end, and everyone seemed to thoroughly enjoy giving him the gatorade shower and bringing him into the fold for the team song.

Miss him to pieces, but he seems like he's got a good home. Look forward with hope to him restarting his consecutive match streak and being able to watch him again every week!

Well done Gibbo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back