Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Great graphic and makes the deal seem a lot more even than my initial thoughts.

My concern with it is that it assumes Carlton don't improve, and they are a strong change to gain a few ladders spots.

In isolation I'd say Adelaide paid overs, but if you factor in the rest of the draft period, including signifcant wins in the deals for Lever and Cameron, then it ends up a pretty succesful trade period

Carlton could improve, although they just traded their best player for picks so maybe not too.
I can see them going backwards next year, but really spiking in two or three years when all their young player s**t that middle age.

Yeah I think we did ok. We didnt smash it, but we didnt fail like a lot of our fans expected.

Carlton could improve, although they just traded their best player for picks so maybe not too.
I can see them going backwards next year, but really spiking in two or three years when all their young player s**t that middle age.

Yeah I think we did ok. We didnt smash it, but we didnt fail like a lot of our fans expected.

It probably speaks volumes about Adelaide and Brisbane's view of this draft with their preapredness to shed picks for players that would normally be considered overs.

Now you're just being mean :(

Adelaide are kidding themselves if they think Gibbs is the missing link. this deal is a shocker. they need contested ball winners not pack skirters.

mind you not quite as bad as brisbane coughing up 12 for a forward flanker. that is mind boggling.

Because their 3rd is like our 2nd.
Our 1st is like their 2nd.
They're only a few places apart.

You gotta take you mind off "first rounders and second rounders and look at the numbers"

Crows get: Gibbs, approx 21 in 2018 and approx 40 in 2018
Crows lose: 10, 16, approx pick 35 and approx pick 60 (which we likely wouldnt use).

So in reality its Gibbs for 10 and two minor downgrades. (Graphic below)
View attachment 429999

If you apply the AFL points system it values Gibbs at pick 6/7.

Cripps is our best player.

We also lost a heap of close games last year after leading in the final term especially when Cripps was injured.

I am confident we are winning more games than this year in 2018 even without Bryce and another Pre Season into the multiple kids who all got RS noms coupled with a young Harry McKay and this years crop of kids who knows what can happen!

Fanciful thinking that suits your agenda that we will go backwards win/loss wise in 2018.

After we completed the other trades, the summary for Carlton is:

Out: Gibbs + 40 + '18 2nd + '18 3rd
In: Pick 10 + Pick 30 + '18 Crows 2nd + '18 Dogs 2nd + Kennedy

That is truly amazing deal for Carlton. You cannot squeeze any more from that.
You forgot Lang and Lobbe.

You've done well, but lets not forget you've gone backwards for the next two years.
I still think thats the right call though.
I know we will go backwards but if we didn't trade Gibbs this year, we would have done it next year for less than a qrt of the value

Murphy, Docherty and Cripps won our last three B&Fs

You've done well, but lets not forget you've gone backwards for the next two years.
I'm not convinced that we will. We'll definitely miss him, but we stayed fairly stagnant this year while playing a younger side. Arguably even improved without looking purely at wins and losses. Only one less win but won more quarters, only got blown out 3 times and if you take those 3 games out, our average losing margin was only about 19 points, with 6-7 games being in with a chance in the 4th, but losing, and that's with missing Cripps and Curnow for a large chunk at the end of the year. Definitely a chance to make inroads again, even without Bryce.

Hope the losses of Lever and Cameron don't hurt you guys too much next year and look forward to seeing what Gibbs can do in a stronger side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not convinced that we will. We'll definitely miss him, but we stayed fairly stagnant this year while playing a younger side. Arguably even improved without looking purely at wins and losses. Only one less win but won more quarters, only got blown out 3 times and if you take those 3 games out, our average losing margin was only about 19 points, with 6-7 games being in with a chance in the 4th, but losing, and that's with missing Cripps and Curnow for a large chunk at the end of the year. Definitely a chance to make inroads again, even without Bryce.

Hope the losses of Lever and Cameron don't hurt you guys too much next year and look forward to seeing what Gibbs can do in a stronger side.

I dont think you'll get smashed by everyone or anything like that.
But you're looking down the track a couple of years I think.

Not sure how much they will hurt.

The guy can play, anyone who says he can't has no idea. With the ball in his hand in the forward line, I would put my house on him kicking it.

Unfortunately, it has been a poor period for the blues and one man cannot make a difference on his own in a team with other sub par players.

He has been nothing but a professional, even when the fiasco played out last year he came back and didn't drop his head, when others would have "sooked" it up.

Good luck to him and I hope that he can get to taste the success that many others aspire to.

I know rewatching the GF is tough but you should and you'll see you do.
Oh, definitely... we were terrible at the contest all season... :rolleyes:

1hTkd

Adelaide are kidding themselves if they think Gibbs is the missing link. this deal is a shocker. they need contested ball winners not pack skirters.

mind you not quite as bad as brisbane coughing up 12 for a forward flanker. that is mind boggling.

Gibbs has become a lot more inside in the last few years. 40% contested, 5 clearances per game and 6 tackles.

If we go backwards it's a failure. You can't go backwards in the 3rd year of a rebuild after finishing bottom 4 2 years in a row.

Our midfield will be hurt, but if we win less games in '18 than '17 I'll be livid.

Carlton done really well out of the Gibbs trade.But the Crows got there man with there 3 year Premiership window.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back