2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Enjoy CC guys as he is an excitement machine. Will bring speed & pressure to your side. Just need to teach him to settle before taking a shot for goal.

Didn't have the best end to the season... except BOG in the preliminary, but Imo was because his mind was elsewhere (in Brisbane with his girlfriend).
5 goals and BOG in prelim. 16 possessions 5 tackles and a goal GF. Electric speed. 23 years old. 73 games. Wants to be in Brisbane.
Good luck finding that with pick 12 of draft!

If he was on a Vic team and had missed chunks of the season, struggled mentally with the rigors, re-signed and then decided to leave again, played soft underwhelming football, struggled at the lower level, not assimilated into the club culture, blown up and fatigued easily, left prior to a GF with no desire to compete, scared away every suitor after meeting with them in a trade period where talls are being undervalued and their is no team crying out for a key forward.. all the while being DESPERATE TO LEAVE SAID CLUB AND CLEARLY UNHAPPY... then that Vic club would have got about the same result.

Of course they would. Different situation but dogs were likewise screwed with Stringer. What happened with Francis?

I'm incredibly at peace with our trade period.

I think it's a very abstract one to assess which is why people are so divided. It also helps that I was nowhere near as hot as most on Rockliff and genuinely believe there is massive upside to moving him on.

This is the first real chance for Fagan and Noble to manage our personnel. We are reshaping our list and culture big time, in terms of the on-field and off and change is scary.

But we will go into next year with Mitch Robinson, Charlie Cameron, Allen Christensen and Luke Hodge back into our team. This is massive. The ball bounced out of our forward line like a pinball this year and put our defence under ridiculous pressure. With Robbo and Charlie up there our forward pressure will be magnitudes better and our defenders will be able to accelerate their development under reduced pressure and with the guidance of Hodge. Hodge and Cameron provide a transformative value greater than what the stats sheet indicates.

Oh and we have three first round picks including pick 1.

Increased opportunities await our future midfield stars and also provides the chance for a long overdue change up in our midfield dynamics. Don't give a **** about individuals and their dream team scores, time to get that s**t working as a unit.

I'm ******* pumped. It may not show much on the ladder next year but I think we are going to really show signs of where we are going at a team and it will greatly improve our chances at selling a future to the Witherden and McCluggages, as well as whoever shows up on the trade table next year. Then one more tilt at the pointy end of the 2018 super draft and we are on our way.

Mirrors my thoughts :thumbsu: I'd resigned myself to rocky going last year so must admit him leaving didn't really upset me.

Very big year coming up - losing mcluggage and especially witherden would be a real body blow so we need to show improvement.

5 goals and BOG in prelim. 16 possessions 5 tackles and a goal GF. Electric speed. 23 years old. 73 games. Wants to be in Brisbane.
Good luck finding that with pick 12 of draft!
We have a great record drafting. We picked up Dangerfield for less.;)

Enjoy the special CC moments...

The critical factor is 3 picks in the top 18 + Ballendon.

Most experts stated that Schache was going to be a second rounder despite our ratings of him based more on potential than performance.

If Schache was at the Dogs and we were bidding with his current circumstances I doubt many of us would have given up a first rounder.

Cameron gives us what we don’t have and desperately need. Like GC we will always have to pay overs for those wanting to return home and are contracted.

The points system essentially is a 2 speed trading economy. Based on our list space, and needs I believe we have done well In the end so long as we get the 3 picks + Ballendan.

Onwards and upwards.

So do we go down the PSD route?
Anthony Miles probably the biggest name available, would be a good get IMO

DFA probably, not PSD.

Miles might have a few suitors.

Have a feeling it might be Hartung. Not a fan.

Dodongo is happy with this trade period. Dodongo did say that Dodongo would trade Pick 12 if we could still get another pick in the first round and we did. Dodongo thinks that the future is bright and Dodongo is looking forward to next year. Dodongo likes the list we are building and Dodongo hopes we can add a few free agents next year.

You still gotta lose it buddy. Even if you are ok with the trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty happy we didn't trade out pick 1. I wasn't a fan of the idea of trading it for two later picks e.g. picks 7 and 8. I think we need the positive press/publicity hype that comes with pick 1 to sell some hope to members. Hopefully whoever we draft with pick 1 can handle that pressure.

I'm pretty happy we didn't trade out pick 1. I wasn't a fan of the idea of trading it for two later picks e.g. picks 7 and 8. I think we need the positive press/publicity hype that comes with pick 1 to sell some hope to members. Hopefully whoever we draft with pick 1 can handle that pressure.

pick 2 couldn't handle it, pick 3 doesn't seem to be able to either :/

There some serious spin in this thread. What's this add 25 and 40 together it's pick 13, we don't have pick 13 at all. If we swap Hippy's and Schache's draft positions it does not seem so bad. What? Hippy never going pick 2, we could have had Oliver or parish etc etc if we did not pick Schache, I don't understand these arguments. Anyway it irrelevant if people want to believe we did not get shafted good on them glass half full and all that.
For the Northern clubs with academies, the points value of draft picks is more relevant in order to match bids than what it is for those clubs that don't have academies or Father / Son prospects. As such, we have a greater need for 2nd & 3rd round draft picks than those other clubs as it allows us to acquire our academy players with a 20% discount by and large by using these 2nd & 3rd round draft picks.

From the Schache trade, Pick 25 was used in part to upgrade to pick 15 and pick 40 will be used in part to bid on Ballenden. Those 2 picks will be used in some way to help us acquire another two players. You could argue that even though the combined points of 25 and 40 was equal to pick 13/14, it was more value to us to split these picks as we did so that we can get the full benefit of the 20% discount to get Ballenden and allow us to upgrade to a higher pick.

It's no coincidence that it was Richmond who did the swap of picks with us, as they were in the same situation as us and wanted two 2nd round picks to cover any bids on Naish. Picks 20 and 25 did not have as much value to those other clubs.

Even putting draft points aside, as I mentioned previously another way to look at it is the Dogs got 25 and 30 for Stringer, we got 25 and 40 for Schache and Melbourne got pick 31 for Watts. The deal for Schache is not that bad in comparison.

Last edited:
This trade period will look a hell of a lot better in hindsight if Ballenden doesn't cop a bid until after pick 18. 3 live picks inside the top 18 including pick 1 which we can use to draft midfielders will bolster our youth, midfield stocks considerably. In a few years time if Charlie Cameron is tearing it up, and the players we draft with picks 1, 15 and 18 are all best 22 we will look back and laugh at some of the reactions in here regarding the trades completed today. Even more so if Schache doesn't develop into anything special. For now though, it appears we have been screwed over and emotions are understandably high. I get it.

Grading our trade period seems to be inflated by the Hodge deal which I'm not sure really counts. There are some positive counter arguments to both the Schache and Cameron trades but the general consensus is that the Dogs and Crows 'won'
Is our list better today than what it was yesterday ?

Yes.

Bottom line, it's about winning games of footy and not about 'winning' trades.

Dodongo wants to point out there was ONLY 1 loser today. Dodongo.

Think on the bright side ......... you will (when you finally settle up) be 50% of the way to qualifying for the Vienna Boys Choir ......... and if you don't like it once you do get there (your a moral to lose the "Conservative" Twin eventually), you can always claim homesickness after two years and nominate a Brisbane Boy Band or (more likely given your age) a local Bee Gees Tribute Band as your chosen destination.

Last edited:
This trade period will look a hell of a lot better in hindsight if Ballenden doesn't cop a bid until after pick 18. 3 live picks inside the top 18 including pick 1 which we can use to draft midfielders will bolster our youth, midfield stocks considerably. In a few years time if Charlie Cameron is tearing it up, and the players we draft with picks 1, 15 and 18 are all best 22 we will look back and laugh at some of the reactions in here regarding the trades completed today. Even more so if Schache doesn't develop into anything special. For now though, it appears we have been screwed over and emotions are understandably high. I get it.

I'm one of those people that had a meltdown today and no one will be happier if I'm proven wrong and what you've said happens, however history shows with us....it just doesn't and its pretty continually seeing the same things happen over and over again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back