Int Menegola Thurlow Parfitt Parsons

The 22 I want:

FB: Z. Guthrie - Henderson - Bews
HB: Stewart - Taylor - Tuohy
C: Duncan - Ablett - Thurlow
HF: Cockatoo - Hawkins - Parfitt
FF: McCarthy - Dangerfield - Menzel
R: Smith - J. Selwood - S. Selwood
INT: Kolodjashnij, C. Guthrie, Blicavs, Menegola.
EMG out of: Buzza, Cunico, Gardner, Gregson, Jones, Simpson, House, Stanley, Horlin-Smith, Ruggles, Henry, Pick22, Pick24, etc.

The 22 I expect:

- Very similar but I also expect them to give games to Buzza, just not sure who he comes in for because they won't drop Blicavs + I like that Forward line I've named.
- Also I expect all 3 of Dangerfield, J. Selwood & Ablett to start in the centre bounce for Round 1... and that is completely fine with me :D
- They also might find a way to give games to Murdoch & Stanley somehow...

The 22 I want:

EMG out of: Buzza, Cunico, Gardner, Gregson, Jones, Simpson, House, Stanley, Horlin-Smith, Ruggles, Henry, Pick22, Pick24, etc.

The 22 I expect:

- Very similar but I also expect them to give games to Buzza, just not sure who he comes in for because they won't drop Blicavs + I like that Forward line I've named.
- Also I expect all 3 of Dangerfield, J. Selwood & Ablett to start in the centre bounce for Round 1... and that is completely fine with me :D
I think you’ve nailed it. I’d prefer to see Gregson on the wing than Thurlow if it’s my personal choice. We’re still a bit cumbersome.

C. Guthrie Henderson. Z Guthrie
Tuohy. Stewart Cunico
Duncan. J.selwood. simpson
Jones. Buzza. Cockatoo
Dangerfield Hawkins. Parsons

Smith Ablett parfitt
Inc bews Taylor s.selwood blitz

it looks so good on paper and there are so many possible combinations :)

the coaches have an enviable problem of devising effective roles and plan Bs for this squad. they're going to have to earn their money next season :thumbsu:

keys for me are not to get too tall or too inside, balance of structure and roles will be vital. also that the youngsters are managed smartly.
there are going to be some good players not getting games if everyone stays healthy.

Back six a lock

B: Bews Henderson Kolodjashnij
HB: Tuohy Taylor Stewart

Starting midfield a lock

C: Duncan Selwood Ablett
R: Smith Dangerfield S.Selwood

Next 4 players a lock

I: Blitz Menegola Cuthrie Parfitt

Forward line a cluster ****

HF: XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX
F: Cockatoo Hawkins XXXXX

It's tempting to name Menegola and Parfitt in that forward line but we really need to get a forward structure together that is going to work rather than just throw the second rotation mids up there and hope for the best. It might mean playing Parsons or playing Black or playing Murdoch or whoever who might not be in our best 22 players. We'll know more about the forward line after the trade period. Aside from Ablett the ins and outs are basically all going to be from that area of the ground.

So does Danger actually want to play predominately forward :huh:

B: Bews Henderson Kolo
HB: Tuohy Taylor Stewart
C: Blitz Selwood Duncan
HF: Menegola Hawkins Cockatoo
F: McCarthy Dangerfield Menzel
R: Smith Ablett S.Selwood
I: Cuthrie Parfitt Thurlow/Zuthrie Parsons/Gregson

Last couple of spots on pre season form. Maybe even a spot there for one of pick 22/24/35 really.

B Bews Taylor C.Guthrie
HB Tuohy Hendo Stewart
C Kolo J.Selwood Duncan
HF Cockatoo Buzza S.Selwood
F Parfitt Hawkins Menzel
Fol Smith Danger Ablett
Int Blicavs Menegola McCarthy Z.Guthrie

Em Stanley Thurlow Ruggles

Last edited:
2018 Team - Age at 31/12/17

B: Tom Stewart (24, 21) Lachie Henderson (28, 158) Jed Bews (24, 50)
HB: Zach Tuohy (28, 145) Harry Taylor (31, 229) Cam Guthrie (25, 128)

R: Zac Smith (27, 109) Patrick Dangerfield (27, 202) Gary Ablett (33, 302)
C: Mitch Duncan (26, 159) Joel Selwood (29, 249) Sam Menegola (25, 30)

HF: Nakia Cockatoo (21, 32) Rhys Stanley (27, 100) Lincoln McCarthy (24, 27)
F: Brendan Parfitt (19, 15) Tom Hawkins (29, 211) Dan Menzel (26, 60)

I: Jake Kolodjashnij (22, 47) Jackson Thurlow (23, 39) Scott Selwood (27, 154) Mark Blicavs (26, 110)

B: Stewart Taylor Bews
HB: Cuthrie Henderson Tuohy
C: Duncan Scooter Menegola
HF: Cockatoo Hawkins Ablett
F: McCarthy Menzel Parfitt
R: Smith Danger Selwood
Int: Blicavs Kolo Gregson Murdoch/Thurlow

Emg: Parsons Zuthrie Stanley Ruggles and i think Simpson and House could be real bolters next year.

Thats probably about our best 22 it doesn't have a 2nd KPF so we will need to improvise.

Hopefully with Ablett and mccarthy murdoch and cockatoo and gregson fit we will have some decent speed in the team.

My sense is next year, on our good days, we will be more dominant, particularly at home, but we may be left even more exposed on our bad days. I am expecting a repeat of streaky performances.

It will be tricky getting the balance right in midfield, as I don't see any of Ablett, Dangerfield, J Selwood, Duncan or Menegola being great defensively minded players.

Scott Selwood becomes a key player. Parfitt probably takes Motlop's spot as the gut defensive runner on a wing. Hope that doesn't stifle his game.

What they do with Blicavs and Guthrie is fascinating, both capable defensive mids but have been exposed in midfield quite often and may be better used in our rebuilt defence. I also think there is a case for Blicavs as number 1 ruck to get an extra runner and tackler in midfield.

My sense is next year, on our good days, we will be more dominant, particularly at home, but we may be left even more exposed on our bad days. I am expecting a repeat of streaky performances.

It will be tricky getting the balance right in midfield, as I don't see any of Ablett, Dangerfield, J Selwood, Duncan or Menegola being great defensively minded players.

Scott Selwood becomes a key player. Parfitt probably takes Motlop's spot as the gut defensive runner on a wing. Hope that doesn't stifle his game.

What they do with Blicavs and Guthrie is fascinating, both capable defensive mids but have been exposed in midfield quite often and may be better used in our rebuilt defence. I also think there is a case for Blicavs as number 1 ruck to get an extra runner and tackler in midfield.
I'm really hoping J Selwood will be played a bit more defensively in the middle, similar to when Bartel ran with at times. Against a team with midfield depth like Adelaide, have Scooter tag their second best mid, like a Crouch, and run Joel head to head with Sloane. It will make the oppositions best mid nervous and Joel will still get a ton of ball.

FB Bews - Taylor - Stewart
HB Touhy - Henderson - Kolo
C C.Guthrie - J.Selwood - S.Selwood
HF Menzel - Hawkins - Parfitt
FF Cockatoo - Dangerfield - McCarthy
FOL Smith - Ablett - Duncan
Int Blicavs - Menegola - Murdoch - Thurlow

Emg Buzza - Z.Guthrie - Gregson

We either go small as above or we chuck in Buzza for the 2 tall forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 22 I want:

The 22 I expect:

you think that little of Parsons? or is he etc?
I hope and think he will pleasantly surprise you next year.

I actually think Menzel is the one who will struggle for a game next year, with Ablett and Dangerfield both likely to spend time forward and with the return/improvement of our true small forwards.
Why not Menzel full-time FF?
He is a good mark, nice kick, and a gun.
So what if he can't chase. He's taller than GAS was. Let's use his attributes.

you think that little of Parsons? or is he etc?
I hope and think he will pleasantly surprise you next year.

Sh*t I knew I'd forget someone! Hmm it's tough to fit him in, he might start the year as an emergency but yes I rate him too.

Possibly if they start Z. Guthrie in the VFL to start 2018 (though they clearly rate him highly) then move Kolodjashnij onto field for Zuthrie, then Parsons on bench rotating with Thurlow on that wing where I think Parsons is better suited :thumbsu:

I actually think Menzel is the one who will struggle for a game next year, with Ablett and Dangerfield both likely to spend time forward and with the return/improvement of our true small forwards.

You'd also think that they prefer to play someone else who doesn't require to be player managed excessively every week.

I personally prefer us getting more games into Buzza if he's going to be the next Ben Brown.

I'd like to see Menzel's season start at about round 6. I think he struggles to make it through the long season and I'd prefer him at his best at the pointy end.

In his 1st 10 games he kick 25 goals
In his last 10 games he kicked 15 goals

The 22 I want:

The 22 I expect:

Um so even in unrealistic scenario with no injuries we basically have zero depth. Save for stanley. Scary.

I'd like to see Menzel's season start at about round 6. I think he struggles to make it through the long season and I'd prefer him at his best at the pointy end.

In his 1st 10 games he kick 25 goals
In his last 10 games he kicked 15 goals
Nah I'd like to see him suited up for Round 1 but played as either the 3rd or 4th target so if he does need a break then it won't hurt our forward structure.... forward structure:D

Um so even in unrealistic scenario with no injuries we basically have zero depth. Save for stanley. Scary.

Stanley: 100 games
Murdoch: 92 games
Black: 54 games
GHS: 47 games
Ruggles: 22 games

Plus draftees. It's not great but I don't think it's as dire as you suggest. Most of the above can play a role and I'd add Gregson to the mix of okay role players if he can get healthy.

Nah I'd like to see him suited up for Round 1 but played as either the 3rd or 4th target so if he does need a break then it won't hurt our forward structure.... forward structure:D

I'm okay with that strategy. I think we discovered this season though that 20 games was a stretch for him.

This.

The last two sides to win the flag are unquestionably not the most talented, they were simply the hardest working, the most united. Relentless pressure is the key, our players don't wish to work hard enough. Call it the coaches or leaders responsibility, it's cultural.

We are way, WAY off what's required.

The best side in 2018 is the one that's team orientated and isn't waiting for other's to do the hard stuff so they can run forward of the footy.. We lack tough, hard blue collar types. Too many Guthrie / Motlop / Menzel wannabe rock stars - look good first, everything else second.
Moltops gone dude

Back