Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

No love for Jars at all?

He had a very good season last year, well ahead of expectations.

With a big preseason he could impress enough in the JLT to snag a round 1 spot to replace Charlie....maybe!
Very slightly built still. But I agree, his SANFL form was well advanced. Kid reads the ball really well, could certainly see him force his way in but I think it would be the second half of the season at the earliest

Demand through actual performance was what I meant to say

I agree

Next year there are some opportunities open

Players like

Keath
Milera
doedee
CEY
Dear
Himmelberg
Pohlkoke
Gibson
Hampton
Signorelli
Galluci
ROB

All need to put their best performance on the park in the pre season none of these players are stand up starters Milera is probably the closest the rest need to proove their worth to the team

I think Gibbs will be brilliant on many levels.
His class is what our midfield has lacked for many years. He will also make it less desirable to tag Sloane.

His presence also bolsters our midfield against the likes of Sydney and particularly Geelong now that they have Dangerwoodlett. That is one scary midfield those pr*cks have been allowed to build.

Gibbs is also coming of his best season and I hope the new environment will allow him to blossom even more as did Eddie and Jacobs. The addition of Gibbs may also as I mentioned before allow Sloane a little more freedom to reak havoc.
I agree about the Sloane part, but I actually think the player it will most benefit will be Matt Crouch. That kids consistency was crucial to us winning he midfield battle this year. Every other midfielder had several bad games throughout the season, but I can't remember even a bad half from Matt.

Gibbs coming in diverts the spotlight off him for another year or 3, and without the opposing teams game planning for him he could end up the doing incredible things in our midfield!

One thing that is clear is that we need more agility and versatility with our team .

Otten is DONE , Mackay is now purely a depth player and Douglas has to earn his place , even fit he should only play 15 games max .

Our defensive makeup would be much better with Talia , Keath , Kelly , Doedee , Laird and Brown . Forward lines are smaller , especially the Tigers in the Grannie and yet what do we do ? we play 4 tall defenders plus Otten .

The selection panel needs to be stripped back , too many cooks , too many favourites and too many games gifted to those .

We need to be smarter with getting games into our young guys to give them a taste and to evolve our team to truly find the best combination at AFL level .
Horses for courses , we rarely change our team to match up the opposition in exploiting a perceived weakness .. we just back it in all the too bloody predictably time and time again .

Rest Sauce for a game or 2 or at least take some load off during the season ... we cooked our team not playing enough depth in 2016 and faded heading into the finals and this year we carried to many sore or spent players into the GF . Also way too top heavy for the match up .

30 depth to select 22 from would be .

Kelly , Talia , Brown
Laird , Keath , Doedee
Gibbs , M.Crouch , Milera
Gallucci , Walker , Lynch
Knight , McGovern , Betts
Jacobs , Sloane , B.Crouch

Greenwood , Seedsman , Gibson , Hampton , Atkins , Jenkins , Douglas .
Hartigan , Poholke , O'Brien .

Last edited:
One thing that is clear is that we need more agility and versatility with our team .

Otten is DONE , Mackay is now purely a depth player and Douglas has to earn his place , even fit he should only play 15 games max .

Our defensive makeup would be much better with Talia , Keath , Kelly , Doedee , Laird and Brown . Forward lines are smaller , especially the Tigers in the Grannie and yet what do we do ? we play 4 tall defenders plus Otten .

The selection panel needs to be stripped back , too many cooks , too many favourites and too many games gifted to those .

We need to be smarter with getting games into our young guys to give them a taste and to evolve our team to truly find the best combination at AFL level .
Horses for courses , we rarely change our team to match up the opposition in exploiting a perceived weakness .. we just back it in all the too bloody predictably time and time again .

Rest Sauce for a game or 2 or at least take some load off during the season ... we cooked our team not playing enough depth in 2016 and faded heading into the finals and this year we carried to many sore or spent players into the GF . Also way too top heavy for the match up .

Kelly , Talia , Brown
Laird , Keath , Doedee
Knight , Jenkins , Betts

Greenwood , Seedsman , Gibson , Hampton , Atkins , Menzel , Douglas .
Hard for Menzel since he's been delisted.

Kelly , Talia , Brown
Laird , Keath , Doedee
Knight , Jenkins , Betts

Greenwood , Seedsman , Gibson , Hampton , Atkins , Menzel , Douglas .
No McGovern?

I think what this season showed is that we can certainly win the GF but we need to be mentally prepared better. The 2 wins V GWS & Geelong at home in the Qualifying and Prelim finals were games that we crushed the opposition with relentless pressure and put the games away early. I just got the feeling that the team went to the GF expecting to win and not paying respect to Richmond and what they had been able to do. Had we turned up with a mental frame of mind like we did for the geelong game, I think the result may have been different. Where I am going with this is that with some 'organic growth' + the midfield additions we have added, as long as we get solid dedicated contributions for whoever takes over the Lever, Smith and Cameron roles, there is no reason why we cannot get back to the GF. We just need to make sure we are mentally ready to work our socks off each game and the richmond performance could be just a one off bad day at the office going forward

We would need to adapt our method for Hampton to play the role.

Seed would be first choice. But Hampton could do it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Both would be terrible choices for the Smith role!

Hampton is a contest winner and pressure player and he can run & carry from congestion. He is not a smart and skilful ball user. He is the last person I would want racking up handball receives in D50, perhaps after Hartigan

Seedsman is an attacker by nature. Put him in defence if we want his man to kick 4 goals. Plenty of AFC folk have made t clear he is a wingman not a defender.

Keep looking...

I need some reassurance on two worries.
(1) I've loved what Thor brings, but I'm extremely concerned about his lack of tank. It's not great for the team to carry only 60-odd% game time from him. It doesn't seem to have improved during the year and can't be allowed to continue at that level next year.
I just have a nagging worry that he won't be able to improve the tank. Can any fitness experts out there advise on this?
(2) The much touted Milera has gone backwards since mid-2016 season. I worry that he is just as likely to be a bust as a star. His body looked much stronger to me at the start of 2017, but his contesting has not improved. Also, he looked somewhat unhappy this year onfield, compared with the raw joy on his face when he started in 2016. I'm hoping it's just mental: can something be done about this? If he has another 2017 in 2018, I don't think he will be what we want.

Any thoughts?

I'm guessing this for R1 (assuming no injuries)

B: Brown, Talia, Doedee
HB: Laird, Smith, Kelly
C: Atkins, Sloane, Gibbs
HF: Gallucci, Walker, Lynch
F: Betts, Jenkins, McGovern
R: Jacobs, Brouch, Mrouch
I/C: Seedsman, Greenwood, Douglas, Milera

Also feel Gibson, Mackay or Hampton could be there in some way, shape or form, maybe at the expense of Gallucci, Seed, Douglas or Mielra

Also feel Gibson, Mackay or Hampton could be there in some way, shape or form, maybe at the expense of Gallucci, Seed, Douglas or Mielra

Smith?

8885176-3x4-340x453.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown Talia Kelly
Laird Hartigan Douglas
Gibbs Sloane Seedsman
Lynch Walker Milera
Betts JJ McGovern

Jacobs M Crouch B Crouch

Interchange
Knight Gibson Greenwood Atkins
Emergency
Gallucci Doedee Keath

surely knight?

I need some reassurance on two worries.
(1) I've loved what Thor brings, but I'm extremely concerned about his lack of tank. It's not great for the team to carry only 60-odd% game time from him. It doesn't seem to have improved during the year and can't be allowed to continue at that level next year.
I just have a nagging worry that he won't be able to improve the tank. Can any fitness experts out there advise on this?

Any thoughts?
Calf injuries can be tricky. Be interesting to know how long he'd actually been carrying it. From memory wasn't it mentioned he injured his other calf in the GF? Clubs don't tend to talk about these things much.

For me I'd like to see ....

- Gibbs as that floating back 7th defender / rotate into middle
- Doedee into Lever's role, with the added bonus of being able to defend 1:1
- Seedsman on the wing
- Mitch McGovern to full forward
- Gallucci taking Cameron's forward pressure role, better kick
- Gibson as the tagger, full time
- Sloane to half forward, great mark, good shot on goal
- Brouch / Mrouch / Greenwood rotating on ball as necessary
- Jenkins as a second ruck / flex where needed.

Team:

B Jake Kelly, Daniel Talia, Luke Brown
HB Rory Laird, Kyle Hartigan, Tom Doedee
C Bryce Gibbs, Brad Crouch, Paul Seedsman
HF Rory Sloane, Taylor Walker, Tom Lynch
F Jordan Gallucci, Mitch McGovern, Eddie Betts
FOL Sam Jacobs, Matt Crouch, Sam Gibson
I/C Wayne Milera, Hugh Greenwood, Riley Knight, Josh Jenkins

Looks pretty strong on paper to me.
Lots of players that can swing into the middle.
Grunt, grunt, grunt around the ball.
Talent and speed on the outside.
Quick forward line with a big mark at full forward that also applies pressure.
Both small forwards can take a grab.
Tex to play that lead up CHF that he does so well.
Half forwards are hard workers, good marks, good kicks.
Backline is solid, stable.
Interchange is flexible.
<EDIT> Just realised there is no Hampton in there ... no Atkins either. Gonna be an interesting off-season to see who steps up, and who steps aside.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the team I would go with come round one at the moment. I am sure I will change and edit during the pre-season comp as form dictates and/or as injuries occur.

B. Brown Talia Keath
HB. Laird Hartigan Seedsman*
C. Milera* B Crouch Atkins*
HF. Gallucci Walker Lynch
F. McGovern JJ Betts
R. Sauce Sloane M Crouch
I/C Gibbs Douglas Doedee Knight*

Emergencies (immediate depth): Cheney, Greenwood, Hampton, Kelly, McKay, O'Brien, Poholke, Gibson (Otten in case of injury for Walker or key back only. If McGovern is injured Greenwood is the best like for like to cover him).

Those with a * are on notice and must step up and perform
Those underlined I am prepared to back in for a period of time and have a high degree of confidence in.
Hard call, but I have gone Doedee over Kelly as he has more natural talent and better skills, although Kelly has strength and a big tank.
Keath as one of the three tall backs is a no brainer as far as I can see and has a huge upside.
The exercise has shown me we have considerable depth and can adequately cover a number of injuries.

Last edited:
Brown Talia Kelly
Laird Hartigan Milera
Atkins Matt Seedsman
Knight Tex Lynch
Gov Jenny Betts

Jacobs Sloane Brad

Gibbs Greenwood Douglas Doedee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back