Next flag - Carlton, Collingwood or Essendon?

Who will win their next flag first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Play

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Basically a sequel to this thread https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/next-flag-carlton-essendon-or-richmond.1069288/ which is unfortunately closed and therefore none of us Tiger fans could bump it and brag. :p

The other three members of the Big 4 are going through premiership droughts and dry spells and it'll be interesting to see who breaks through first.

Essendon look to be the closest right now but as we all know, anything can happen in footy.

Which of these clubs wins their next flag before the others do and why?

Carlton has an excellent list, as does Essendon now.

Unfortunately for the Pies I just can't see Chris Mayne and Daniel Wells leading them to premiership glory anytime soon.

Think Essendon are closest to a flag atm and have stocked up this year to give them the best chance at pinching one.

Carlton look to be trying to build a more sustainable list that can consistently win finals and finish top 4. Whether that translates to a flag who knows. They are tough to win.

Collingwood are probably the furthest away and need a rebuild, but they are hardly in a drought. Their last flag was 2010, wish we could say the same.

Essendon then Collingwood then Carlton.

Carlton are far away because they are doing a slow rebuild and players like Murphy and Kreuzer probably will be past their primes by the time they are doing anything significant so that means their entire midfield probably has to come from their younger players. They have a good young leader in Cripps to build around but they still need to find a lot of players. Curnow emerged as a potential leader of their forward line but he's still very young and inexperienced and they still lack a quality second key forward (Silvagni's more a 3rd tall type for mine). Losing Gibbs sets them back over the next 3 years (the draftees / players traded won't outperform him over that time) but long term should give them an edge.

Collingwood aren't as bad as people think. Not only do they have a strong midfield but their forward line could be very good in the future lead by Moore and Elliot. I posted in another thread that I could see Elliot reaching Betts type heights. They already have a great midfield including a quality ruck and its a lot easier to find some good flanks than it is to find midfielders or kp forwards. On KP forwards - a genuine second key forward will continue to be a weakness but other teams have overcome the lack thereof like Richmond and Bulldogs.

Essendon - I like what we are building. Forward line is great and Daniher will at worst be an quality top 5 forward or at best - the best forward of his generation. Backline is pretty decent and it will be interesting to see if with our latest recruits we move Hooker to the backline again to strengthen that line. Midfield is a worry but its still overstated. Zac Merrett is a gun and is still improving, Heppell wasn't at his best this year but is still a quality player and we have a lot of good youth coming through like Parish and McGrath. The big question for me is - can we improve our team defense? That to me is a bigger issue than improving our list talent from this point.

Essendon are the closest to it currently. They'll have sustained finals appearances from now and they should be entrenched in the top 4 in 3-4 years. I'd back them to make the top 4 before that time maybe in 2019 although 2018 is a possibility but it is unlikely IMO. I have the most confidence in Essendon winning a flag before those teams from where it stands. They will be in flag contention in the next 5 years I have no doubt about that.

I can't talk about my own team objectively, however, I think Carlton is building one of the most interesting lists in the AFL right now.

When developed they will have an extremely tall group rotating through the midfield.

Cripps 195 cm
Curnow 194 cm
Kennedy 188 cm

Rayner 188cm or LDU 187cm or Stephenson 189cm

and

Coffield 191 cm or Constable 191cm or Fogarty 192cm

How they develop and work as a midfield/forward group will be fascinating.

Out of the other 2 teams, I think Carlton is the clear favorite as Collingwood look like they are in no-mans land comparatively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we are a couple years ahead of Carlton but not sure that we will pinch one. We still have huge holes. Carlton are building the better long term list and Collingwood are miles off it.
If I was a betting man I’d say none of us will win one in the next 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back