Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Off the top of my head, we have 32 main list assuming Suban goes, and 3 rookies. Need a minimum 38 main list and up to 40, and must have 44 in total.

Draft picks: 2, 5, 42, 60, 66, 71, 79, 83, 97

Rookies: Nyhuis, Duman, Strnadica

So could go many options;
Draft-Upgrade-Rookie
6-0-3
5-1-4
4-2-5
3-3-6
7-0-2
6-1-3
5-2-4
4-3-5
8-0-1
7-1-2
6-2-3
5-3-4

We have typically used 4 draft picks for the last few years, so let’s assume we do that (means we don’t even use the pick we got for Balic - LOL);
4-2-5 would be the most likely if using four draft picks. Upgrades would like be Nyhuis and Duman

Personally, I think we’ll use 5 or 6 draft picks. With Nyhuis being the one possible upgrade, but wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t upgrade any and go 6-0-3.

Hope this makes sense. Clear to me anyway.
A bit will centre around DFAs perhaps.

T
Off the top of my head, we have 32 main list assuming Suban goes, and 3 rookies. Need a minimum 38 main list and up to 40, and must have 44 in total.

Draft picks: 2, 5, 42, 60, 66, 71, 79, 83, 97

Rookies: Nyhuis, Duman, Strnadica

So could go many options;
Draft-Upgrade-Rookie
6-0-3
5-1-4
4-2-5
3-3-6
7-0-2
6-1-3
5-2-4
4-3-5
8-0-1
7-1-2
6-2-3
5-3-4

We have typically used 4 draft picks for the last few years, so let’s assume we do that (means we don’t even use the pick we got for Balic - LOL);
4-2-5 would be the most likely if using four draft picks. Upgrades would like be Nyhuis and Duman

Personally, I think we’ll use 5 or 6 draft picks. With Nyhuis being the one possible upgrade, but wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t upgrade any and go 6-0-3.

Hope this makes sense. Clear to me anyway.

Thank you for that....... ITS THE 42 61 66 71 that I'm wondering what their up to.

T

Thank you for that....... ITS THE 42 61 66 71 that I'm wondering what their up to.
So true. So much attention on picks 2&5 - probably because it’s easy to throw up 6-8 names in the mix. By this stage of the draft, us mere mortals have no idea. Lloyd and co will have a plan. I reckon we take 6 drafts - so use all those you listed.

do you know much about Krueger Meima...he looks very classy, skillful and moves well, but don't know if he gets te ball a lot. Minimal highlights.
I don't know much about him but look like a lot of people in BF rate him highly and his highlights video not in good quality also .

Pre knee op jako was unstoppable
Jakovich was a chf, but mick outhouse was such a defensive coach, he put his best players in the backline.
In response to the suggestion that Hartung be picked up- no thanks IMO as a player he is a fast masten

Reckon we might fill up the main list this year. Limited picks next year - probably just first round and carter + a late one.
That is about right , most probably more rookie next year.

That is about right , most probably more rookie next year.
40 main plus 4 rookie this year.
Need to clear about 8 next year? Mostly old blokes and a few potatoes: Sandi, MJ, Ballas, Spurr, Rixx, Sutty, DPearce plus maybe one of our perma-injured Apeness or dare I say, Bennell.

I wouldn’t upgrade any rookies this year.
Could then upgrade them if they’re worthy next year. Nyhuis, Duman, Nads. Would mean if we go back to a 38 main list, would only need to use 3 picks (includes Carter as academy). But then get 5 new rookies. So could go 4 main list, 4 new rookies and roll with 39 on main list.

Our draft picks look bare for 2018, but I reckon we’ll be crafty with them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

40 main plus 4 rookie this year.
Need to clear about 8 next year? Mostly old blokes and a few potatoes: Sandi, MJ, Ballas, Spurr, Rixx, Sutty, DPearce plus maybe one of our perma-injured Apeness or dare I say, Bennell.

I wouldn’t upgrade any rookies this year.
Could then upgrade them if they’re worthy next year. Nyhuis, Duman, Nads. Would mean if we go back to a 38 main list, would only need to use 3 picks (includes Carter as academy). But then get 5 new rookies. So could go 4 main list, 4 new rookies and roll with 39 on main list.

Our draft picks look bare for 2018, but I reckon we’ll be crafty with them.
I really believe that a list of 38 is a better way to go.
Saves on cap space and players who get drafted in the main draft get a minimum 2 year contract. If they don't work out in the first year, and delist them, their salary is in the cap.

I really believe that a list of 38 is a better way to go.
Saves on cap space and players who get drafted in the main draft get a minimum 2 year contract. If they don't work out in the first year, and delist them, their salary is in the cap.
The suggestion is to go up to 40 this year so that we can make the necessary delistings next year and not worry so much about where the picks are coming from as we currently only have rounds 1&5. Use two extra picks this year instead, then drop back to 38 or 39.

I think Lloyd will just back himself to find a rookie or two that'll be ready to be a senior listed player by 2019, will target WA boys as free agents and will trade a 2019 pick or two into the 2018 draft. With a stronger draft clubs may cut deeper which may mean they are less likely to trade decent picks but there may be a few very capable DFAs on the market. Don't think that all the 30+ brigade will retire in 2018 either tbh although I'd be doing what I could to set D.Pearce free now even if all that involves is moving him to the rookie list.

Lol it was so funny listening to the Saints flogs on here spouting off about they'd gone cold on Fyfe because his form wasn't up to their standards any more.

They're like that 5/10 guy on the prowl at a club who thinks only 10/10 girls are worthy of him... so who ends up going home alone every time.
Should_we_trade_Mc_Cartin_Saints_Big_Footy_AFL_Forum_-_2017-10-22.png

Interesting Cal Twomey making the point we won't really know if next year is a so called super draft. He reckons he has seen it so often that "the grass is greener in next years draft". A few interviews with list managers after trade period are confident this year has variety and depth. Where does everyone think the following will go....will we pick any if available (Naughton and Allen excluded- won't be available at our later picks);

my thoughts are at this time the following would fall around these picks. Would we take any of Patmore through to England if available bearing in mind 42 is probably earmarked for a Dixon, Krueger, Miller-
Naughton ....pick 8
Allen......pick 26
Patmore.....pick 37
Starcevich....pick 39
Miller .....Pick 44
Taylor......pick 48
Ainsworth......pick 52
Ryan...........pick pick 44
Kelly...........pick 30
Schloithe.......pick 65
England........pick 68

Interesting Cal Twomey making the point we won't really know if next year is a so called super draft. He reckons he has seen it so often that "the grass is greener in next years draft". A few interviews with list managers after trade period are confident this year has variety and depth. Where does everyone think the following will go....will we pick any if available (Naughton and Allen excluded- won't be available at our later picks);

my thoughts are at this time the following would fall around these picks. Would we take any of Patmore through to England if available bearing in mind 42 is probably earmarked for a Dixon, Krueger, Miller-
Naughton ....pick 8
Allen......pick 26
Patmore.....pick 37
Starcevich....pick 39
Miller .....Pick 44
Taylor......pick 48
Ainsworth......pick 52
Kelly...........pick 30
Schloithe.......pick 65
England........pick 68
Reckon Starcevich goes earlier (20-35) and Patmore later (40+). Miller probably later too despite his ridiculous combine. Others seem about right. There are a few there I think we will take at 42 if available.

Naughton ....pick 8
Allen......pick 26
Patmore.....pick 37
Starcevich....pick 39
Miller .....Pick 44
Taylor......pick 48
Ainsworth......pick 52
Kelly...........pick 30
Schloithe.......pick 65
England........pick 68

My guess; Kelly, Schloithe and England about right, Allen, Miller and Taylor to go earlier, the rest later.

Back