List Mgmt. 2017 Trade/Draft/FA SuperMegaUltra Thread - Post Trade-Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we have a mock draft thread?

1 Lions - Davies-Uniacke
2 Freo - Rayner
3 Carlton - Dow
4 Norths - Cerra
5 Freo - D Fogarty
6 Pies - Brander
7 Saints - Brayshaw
8 Saints - Stephenson
9 Dogs - Coffield
10 Blues - S Hayes
11 GWS - Higgins
12 Crows - Naughton
13 Eagles - HUNTER CLARK
14 Swans - Constable
15 Lions - Balta
16 Dogs - O'Brien / Bonar
17 Richmond - Oscar Allen (need tall forwards more than anything)
18 Lions - Ballanden
19 Gold Coast - Ed Richards (Saad replacement)
20 Richmond - Naish
21 Eagles - OBrien / Bonar
22 Cats - Ling
23 North - Petrucelle
24 Cats - N Murphy
25 Richmond - ruck forward
26 Eagles - Meirs / T Kelly
27 GWS - ruck
28 GWS - L Fogarty
29 Melbourne - tall
30 Carlton - half back
31 Melbourne - Meirs
32 Eagles - T Kelly / Meirs / B Miller
33 Swans
34 Saints
35 Cats
36 Melbourne
37 Eagles - B Miller / L Ryan

------- I predict Tim Kelly at 26. Carlton are very interested and they have pick 30. And I think Eagles are keen to draft Hayden Schloithe with 32 or 37.

Or do we criticise them for drafting a guy who slipped because he was oft injured before the draft and there were concerns about his durability?

I guess that'll depend on whether he gets past his injuries or not.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He was past his injury, his last setback was apparently a trainer stepping on his toe. Pushed to play WAFL late in the season but couldn't get fit in time.

13. I'd take O'Brien if he's still there. An elite gut runner with a deadly left boot. He's a former 400m state junior record holder and ran a 6:12 in the 2km at the combine. Projected as top 10 at the start of the year before a niggling knee injury. Plus he's from Mildura and boarding at Geelong Grammar so not likely to want to go back to a Melbourne club. You can't teach an 19 year old how to kick and it can take years of preseason training for an average runner to get the stamina to run like this bloke can at 18.

O'Brien
Very talented and has a lovely left foot, will need a few season to physically develope into an Afl footballer.
But IF doesnt learn to find more of his own football he will have a very short and frustrating AFL carrer .
At this point in time he is impressive prospect that is very athletic and skilful but needs to work on his contested game .

13. I'd take O'Brien if he's still there. An elite gut runner with a deadly left boot. He's a former 400m state junior record holder and ran a 6:12 in the 2km at the combine. Projected as top 10 at the start of the year before a niggling knee injury. Plus he's from Mildura and boarding at Geelong Grammar so not likely to want to go back to a Melbourne club. You can't teach an 19 year old how to kick and it can take years of preseason training for an average runner to get the stamina to run like this bloke can at 18.

Is he outside or inside ?

So Dark Shart you're saying Worpel can't hit a target or that I lack credibility?

The knock on Worpal is that his foot skills are less than ideal and if he had better than average foot skills he would be a first rounder.

How much of him have you seen him play ?

I have watched him in half a dozen full games , a couple live and whilst I do love his attack on the ball , I would concur that his foot skills are average . That said as one of latter second draft picks I would be OK with that selection .

For me it's not one particular pick that is going to be the difference , rather it's the mix of the five picks in there totality that will be what I will be wanting to assess, before I cast my judgement on the success or failure of this draft.
I will be more interested to see If we address our needs rather than pick up specific players .

Is he outside or inside ?

O'Brien is as outside as they come but he is all class and guys like JK and Jack would want the ball in his hands running forward of centre .
Hits target of all ranges with deft foot skill.
But we will need extractors getting the ball to him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or do we criticise them for drafting a guy who slipped because he was oft injured before the draft and there were concerns about his durability?

I guess that'll depend on whether he gets past his injuries or not.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
To quote a Nobel Prize winner, the answer my friend is blowing in the wind

So Obrien = Masten?

lol nothing alike , except they both have elite endurance.
Where they differ is in three key areas.
1. O'Brien has genuine pace .
2. O'Brien has genuine line breaking ability with his run and carry.
3. O'Brein runs forwards and attacks the goals

Not much of a contested game from what I've heard. I'd be inclined to pass on that alone.

Considering we're wanting a midfielder who can do it both on the inside and outside, O'brien isn't the best fit at all for mine.
Our midfield options at 13 will be Constable and Clark who are great options but not what you want as a complete package.

I have been strong on Lachlan Fogarty since seeing him live at the U18 carnival and I think will be available around pick 21 - a great option for inside and outside.

Just to remind people that Partington was drafted for these skills and despite the fact we have played him in our normal interchange/half forward for starters, I am hoping he progresses in 2018 to fill the void.

Our midfield options at 13 will be Constable and Clark who are great options but not what you want as a complete package.

I have been strong on Lachlan Fogarty since seeing him live at the U18 carnival and I think will be available around pick 21 - a great option for inside and outside.

Just to remind people that Partington was drafted for these skills and despite the fact we have played him in our normal interchange/half forward for starters, I am hoping he progresses in 2018 to fill the void.

Good post Asterix I was about to post answering Dark Sharks pretty much the same :
That being outside of a genuine mid falling to us at 13 , then L Fogarty is the next best inside / outsiders and, I agree with you he will be there at 21 should we want him.

I have also seen him live and
I am a big fan.

Bonar to fill the void?

That joke just doesn't get old.

Good post Asterix I was about to post answering Dark Sharks pretty much the same :
That being outside of a genuine mid falling to us at 13 , then L Fogarty is the next best inside / outsiders and, I agree with you he will be there at 21 should we want him.

I have also seen him live and
I am a big fan.

While i'm a fan of Lachie i don't see a lot of weapons in his arsenal which makes me think he may slide. If he was there at 32 i'd take him.

so
Ahh, here's the Ryan pump up article i was waiting for.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-22/highflying-wafl-star-liam-ryan-ready-to-take-next-leap-to-afl

Still doesn't "sound" all that convincing to be honest. Just more spruiking of his football talent and the excitement he brings to a football field rather than his work rate or character unfortunately. Which is what i really wanted. I'd like to see us take the punt, but not with one of our 5 picks under 37.
port can have him right? how much are port killing it this year just like bloody freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back