Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched a dude last night use the bench for a good 30 minutes to do 3 or 4 sets of 6 reps with 2.5kgs on each side of the bar mixed in with 60 second planks which were done on the bench. Didn't really irritate me but was just bizarre.

I think we need a "strange things you've seen in the gym" thread.....or just change the title of this one

I think we need a "strange things you've seen in the gym" thread.....or just change the title of this one

Also a “things I hate about the fitness industry” thread for me cos I don’t go to gyms haha

mate, program one of these in every 4 weeks. so important. i know folks feel like they're deflating when they're not working out to the max of their ability, but that's really not the case. just missing the pump.

you only need to work out hard enough to create a stimulus - enough muscle breakdown to signal protein re-synthesis. progress will be more dependent on what you do outside the gym with macro timing and recovery rather than that extra session.

my 2 bob anyway.

Agree - for an old campaigner like me it’s even more important - rest and sleep is How you grow - at 54 all I can do is 3-4 days a week - any more and you start getting injured

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Today there was a guy with headphones singing along to his music, tapping on the machines really loudly and clapping between sets.

Not annoying, just strange. He wasn't lifting huge weights and pumping himself up either, it looked like general lift.

One thing I saw years ago was a kid using the lat pulldown machine and leaning back really far. Then he put feet on the machine's frame, about level with his where his head was and had at it. It looked a little bit dangerous.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Long-time listener, first-time caller.

All the main ones have been said, but I find people who cheat themselves out of doing an exercise properly ever so slightly irritating. For example, hanging onto the rails of the treadmill on a high incline; completely taking that benefit away.

...C'mon Susan, you're better than that.

Hey Guys,

Long-time listener, first-time caller.

All the main ones have been said, but I find people who cheat themselves out of doing an exercise properly ever so slightly irritating. For example, hanging onto the rails of the treadmill on a high incline; completely taking that benefit away.

...C'mon Susan, you're better than that.

Not really gym material but similar - people who swim laps and the strategy seems to be to avoid getting the heart rate up at all costs - "glorified floating" is what I would call it. Gives me the shits

Today there was a guy with headphones singing along to his music, tapping on the machines really loudly and clapping between sets.

Not annoying, just strange. He wasn't lifting huge weights and pumping himself up either, it looked like general lift.

Singers in gyms. I had experiences, documented in this or a previous version of this thread, where a couple sung in unison or parts of a song as though they are recording a duet. They'd even do actions.

Not really gym material but similar - people who swim laps and the strategy seems to be to avoid getting the heart rate up at all costs - "glorified floating" is what I would call it. Gives me the shits

You wouldnt wanna be getting teh shits in the pool would ya? ;)

not in the gym per se but this kind of pseudo scientific dribble really shits me

bc8f233dccd23465e147dc5d38917f79.jpg

not in the gym per se but this kind of pseudo scientific dribble really shits me

Apparently that guy/chick's qualifications are a 'BA in 2015 doing a self-designed major called Writing Worlds, a mixture of creative writing and anthropology focused on realistic fictional world building.'

I'm not sure they're the ideal credentials to make you a human metabolism expert.

Classic case of psychological projection/victim mentality.

My mum is terrible like that as well.
Had to pull her up the other night; someone she works with ran a marathon (must have been the one on the weekend) and in the process of training for it lost a bit of weight but apparently she “must just have the body for it”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always get that "you must have a good metabolism and genetics" and look I'm sure I do and I'm sure that helps but it's a lot easier for others to justify that they don't look like me because of my "genetics" instead of it being because they don't "train 6 days a week, do active recovery, make sure they get enough sleep and eat healthy"

Worst is people that look reasonably young and fit but stop every 100m for a rest without even bothering to go much above plodding level. Waste of time.

Unusually for me I have a couple actual in gym ones.
1) While at work one of the members was doing leg press and their plates loaded for their last set was 25-10-20-10-5-5-2.5. The 25 and 2.5 were bumpers which meant he walked across half the gym with them which makes it even more ridiculous
2) Went to the powerlifting gym I used to (always) train at so my lifting partner could squat out of the monolift. Get there and there’s a group of 5-6 girls that have spread themselves across 2 of the 3 monolift (leaving the broken one which is far enough). Now in certain circumstances it wouldn’t have been irritating BUT
(I) they were all taking a good 5-6 minutes between sets so they could have easily shared 1 instead of taking up 2, and they were all using weights within 10kg of each other.
(II) the monolift has a hydraulic jack to change rack heights so lifters of all heights can squat in it (example being Josh Thomas and Lachlan Keeffe while training there during their bans) so again they could have shared 1 instead of 2. Even worse; both monolifts were set at the same height!
(III) lastly, and worst of all; the whole point of a monolift is that you stand up with the bar, someone pulls a lever and the hooks swing away, meaning you don’t have to walk the bar out like you would in a normal rack. ALL of them were walking out their squats! Why not use one of the 6 bloody Power racks in the gym!!!!!

I always get that "you must have a good metabolism and genetics" and look I'm sure I do and I'm sure that helps but it's a lot easier for others to justify that they don't look like me because of my "genetics" instead of it being because they don't "train 6 days a week, do active recovery, make sure they get enough sleep and eat healthy"

SLeep is critical. I found my body looked better with good sleep. training was around teh same intensity etc.

People are renowned for making excuses or using others as an example of not being able to do something. Its human nature isnt it?

And that Saturday/Sunday morning where you're deciding to go for brunch I've just run 20ks. It's not hard it's just involves a bit of planning and when it's 9 degrees out, it's not always fun.

And that Saturday/Sunday morning where you're deciding to go for brunch I've just run 20ks. It's not hard it's just involves a bit of planning and when it's 9 degrees out, it's not always fun.
Yeah people don’t understand that if you actually want it sacrifice needs to be made.

I will agree with the last few posts when people say you must have good genetics or fast metabolism. I will say I have favourable genetics than your average joe, but I'm up at 5am before to go tothe gym and I'm going for a run after work. Cooking my meals for days in advance, Consistently doing the hard work.

You run 20 k's on a Sunday morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just bizarre how little responsibility people want to take for their bodies now.

Sometimes when I go to the gym I snap my best mate (I kind of do it to get a rise out of her now) and she'll say she's worried I'm over-training. Literally what. I mean I love her and all, but she's skinny-fat and thinks that one hour of exercise a week is sufficient. Or that a walk burns decent calories. :rolleyes:

For the past week I've been on a forced liquid diet because of teeth extraction - and she's all worried I'll develop an eating disorder and that my weight loss is incredibly unhealthy. I LITERALLY CANNOT EAT SOLID FOOD WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO.

It's like she feels bad about her own lack of physical exercise and need to bring others down to her level by demonising exercise and (healthy) weight loss. This x 10,000,000 amongst society.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back