MLB 2017 SEASON

Remove this Banner Ad

Yankees, Manchester United, Juventus... like the Patriots and Lakers too?
United and Juve are by family so not much I could do there.
Sadly I follow the Knicks, Redskins and Capitals as my other US teams so I know more than enough about pain. I’m unlikely to see those 3 ever win anything in my lifetime again

Hmmm, the Cubs sacked their pitching coach.

Meanwhile, our pitching coach is rumoured to be the next manager...the tightarse owners better not stuff this one up

Hmmm, the Cubs sacked their pitching coach.

Meanwhile, our pitching coach is rumoured to be the next manager...the tightarse owners better not stuff this one up

Yeah, sounds like we’re after John Hickey. He and Joe Maddon worked together in Tampa Bay and he was so successful in Tampa they ended up keeping him 11 years until they parted ways after this year. He will be a good hire if it happens.

Life is good. My boys in the world series. Backed the astros in March to win the whole thing paying $8, so its a win/win. Plus seeing the Cubs go out in pathetic fashion and the Yankees go out too was oh so sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope the Cubs get smashed like guitars. Sick of them and their dickhead bandwagon fans.

Life is good. My boys in the world series. Backed the astros in March to win the whole thing paying $8, so its a win/win. Plus seeing the Cubs go out in pathetic fashion and the Yankees go out too was oh so sweet

There is plenty of proof on this board that you support the Dodgers, so either you’re the shittest sporting fan in history or whatever money you win will win with an Astros win is enough to pay off your mortgage. Lol.

There is plenty of proof on this board that you support the Dodgers, so either you’re the shittest sporting fan in history or whatever money you win will win with an Astros win is enough to pay off your mortgage. Lol.

Exactly. A true sports fan doesn’t find a “win/win” in their team losing...

Why lol?
I’m on record as saying I’m not a a Girardi fan and never have been. As for our squad it wasn’t good enough and you can’t just go into the next season with the same squad expecting them to get better. A good team will always add to their list to make them better, we don’t need wholesale changes as we are on the right path but definitely need to strengthen certain parts of our list
Which parts of the squad?

So the World Series is here. All times AEDT.
World Series presented by YouTube TV
Who:
(2) Houston Astros vs (1) Los Angeles Dodgers
Where:
Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, California
Minute Maid Park, Houston, Texas
When:
Game 1: Wednesday 25 October, 11am @ Los Angeles
Game 2: Thursday 26 October, 11am @ Los Angeles
Game 3: Saturday 28 October, 11am @ Houston
Game 4: Sunday 29 October, 11am @ Houston
Game 5: Monday 30 October, 11am @ Houston*
Game 6: Wednesday 1 November, 11am @ Los Angeles*
Game 7: Thursday 2 November, 11am @ Los Angeles*
*If required
TV: FOX
Starting Pitchers (Probable Order):
Dodgers: Kershaw, Hill, Darvish, Wood etc.
Astros: Keuchel, Verlander, Morton, McCullers Jr etc.
Notes:
- The Astros have a best offence in baseball--they had an OPS+ of 128 during the regular season, the best since Babe Ruth's Yankees in the 1920s.
- The two teams did not play each other this year.

2005. The White Sox went 11-1 on their way to their first championship in 88 years.
2017. The Dodgers can go 11-1 on their way to their first championship since...1988.

Who do both these teams face? The Astros. Their last (and only) World Series appearance 12 years ago ended bitterly, as franchise legend Jeff Bagwell hobbled through the playoffs only to see them get swept by the Sox. Since then, Houston has been largely terrible, failing to make the playoffs until 2 years ago and enduring multiple 100-loss seasons along the way. A Sports Illustrated cover predicted them to win this year's Series--will it be a jinx or can they break through after over 50 years in the baseball wilderness? Altuve and Correa have been on fire, while the starter pitching has been lights out. The bullpen is patchy however, and may be their downfall.

The Dodgers are another team long overdue. Their payroll has been baseball's highest for some years now and frankly the record of no pennants--let alone championships--in 29 years is pretty sobering. To be fair they do have some fantastic "homegrown" players in Seager and Bellinger, so their success isn't all down to outspending rivals.
For Clayton Kershaw, this is personal. The best pitcher of his generation has often been mocked for playoff meltdowns, and regardless of how well he has pitched so far this postseason none of it matters if he doesn't stand up on the biggest stage. Him performing is crucial to the Dodgers' chances.

As for predictions, the Dodgers bullpen means they are definitely the more complete team. However the same could be said about the Cubs last year and they only just squeaked by. The potential for an upset is heightened by the long championship droughts for both teams, so I think Houston can get up and win this series in 6 games--Jose Altuve to win the MVP award.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t realise they changed it. Glad they did

Awarding HFA to the All-Star winner was always such an awful rule. Based on last years rule, the Astros would’ve been hosting the World Series thanks to a Seattle Mariner player hitting a game winning home run in the All-Star game. I don’t know why the rule was enforced to begin with and why the league thought it was a good idea.

It should’ve been beat regular season team by record so I am glad that is what it now is.

Awarding HFA to the All-Star winner was always such an awful rule. Based on last years rule, the Astros would’ve been hosting the World Series thanks to a Seattle Mariner player hitting a game winning home run in the All-Star game. I don’t know why the rule was enforced to begin with and why the league thought it was a good idea.

It should’ve been beat regular season team by record so I am glad that is what it now is.
Because of the farcical ending to the 2002 all star game. Tried to keep the game interesting

Which parts of the squad?
Pitching stocks is a priority.
CC is nearing the end is a FA but I’d expect we offer him a new contract but Tanaka could be leaving and I personally don’t rate Gray at all. Both sides in the WS have genuine A Grade SP’s, we have a heap of solid B Grade SP’s but none that I could bank a win on. I wished we threw the kitchen sink at Verlander

Alex Cora is the new Red Sox manager. Will probably be fired if they don't make the ALCS

Cubs have been changing some coaches. Pitching coach Chris Bosio was fired (sounds like Cardinals are interested), Assistant hitting coach Eric Hinske becomes the Angels hitting coach and Dave Martinez is going to interview to become Nationals manager.

Great opportunities for all of them, particularly Dave Martinez.

Former Indians' pitching coach Mickey Callaway is the Mets' new manager. Probably a big loss for Cleveland--hopefully the Mets' pitchers can stay fit now

Former Indians' pitching coach Mickey Callaway is the Mets' new manager. Probably a big loss for Cleveland--hopefully the Mets' pitchers can stay fit now

Everything I’ve read, it sounds like a very good signing for the Mets. They need a change of philosophy with their pitchers, they’re way overworked and even when they’re hamstrung by injury. If they can get that rotation healthy and playing a full year, the Mets can go very far. Best rotation in Baseball IMO, they just need health on their side.

Everything I’ve read, it sounds like a very good signing for the Mets. They need a change of philosophy with their pitchers, they’re way overworked and even when they’re hamstrung by injury. If they can get that rotation healthy and playing a full year, the Mets can go very far. Best rotation in Baseball IMO, they just need health on their side.
Theyve had injury problems for years (not just pitchers). Something must be wrong with their medical team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back