Movie Star Wars: The Last Jedi. - THREAD PART 1 - *SPOILERS and RUMORS* - Cont. in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rogue One
Inception(was this in the last 5 years?)
Blade Runner the new one.
Arrival maybe?
Dark Knight

As I said, Rogue One's average critical ratings were 7.5 and 6.8 (top). Good but not exactly "smash ratings". Blade Runner and Arrival scored in the 8's but not sure either can be considered box office hits, plus Arrival is more of a thought provoking, story driven film than a "fun" movie. Inception was in 2010. The Dark Knight and Skyfall were the last two blockbusters that were both critically and commercially huge.

Logan probably deserves a mention in this blockbuster/critical consensus discussion.

Have said it many times before, but TFA reviews/ratings are perhaps higher than they should be because of the relief factor. So many people were relieved that it didn't suck like the prequels did.

That was my overwhelming feeling after seeing it, and it perhaps inflated the initial reaction from it.

Good call with Mad Max, forgot about it cause I didn't think it was great, but fits the bill cause everyone else did.

Definitely true with the relief factor with TFA. All it had to do was not be completely s**t to coast to a 7. Add in a few really good and original scenes, which to me all involved Kylo, to take it to 8.5 territory.

Again, I fell for it too. If it was that good it would have been 9s given the weight of anticipation and eagerness to score it highly from most of the community

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:
Yep, forgot about Logan and Mad Max. Interstellar, however, while commercially successful, had average ratings of 7 and 7.2. The Revenant is also a close contender. Best picture nomination, had a blockbuster feel to it, did well at the box office, and had average ratings of 7.9 and 7.8.

It's a long read and I'm about halfway through, but this got my attention:
Oscar Isaac, at 38 the senior member of the core cast’s “new kids” (Driver is 33, and Ridley and Boyega are in their mid-20s), is old enough to remember as a child revering Luke Skywalker. “So to be there, and to watch Mark revisit Luke, particularly in these scenes we were shooting towards the end of the film, was bizarre and jaw-dropping,” he told me. “It’s like when you see an old band re-unite and go on the road, and they don’t quite hit those high notes anymore—though in this situation it’s completely the opposite. It’s the fulfillment of where your imagination would take you when you imagine where Luke would go, or what he’s become.”

I wonder if the Knights of Ren is a new spin on the 7 Dark Jedi? As far as I'm aware, they aren't Sith. Is Kylo a Sith? Not sure that it's been mentioned or even implied. Del Toro's character is being played close to their chest, but referred to as a shady character. Could be a dark force user that has no affiliation. Possibly a mercenary for hire.

It's a long read and I'm about halfway through, but this got my attention:
Oscar Isaac, at 38 the senior member of the core cast’s “new kids” (Driver is 33, and Ridley and Boyega are in their mid-20s), is old enough to remember as a child revering Luke Skywalker. “So to be there, and to watch Mark revisit Luke, particularly in these scenes we were shooting towards the end of the film, was bizarre and jaw-dropping,” he told me. “It’s like when you see an old band re-unite and go on the road, and they don’t quite hit those high notes anymore—though in this situation it’s completely the opposite. It’s the fulfillment of where your imagination would take you when you imagine where Luke would go, or what he’s become.”

Yep. People worrying about Luke being weak because of what they've seen in the trailer need to relax. "Then the Resistance must be destroyed before they get to Skywalker!" They aren't just worried about a new generation of Jedi, but what he might do if he returns to the battlefield.

I wonder if the Knights of Ren is a new spin on the 7 Dark Jedi? As far as I'm aware, they aren't Sith. Is Kylo a Sith? Not sure that it's been mentioned or even implied. Del Toro's character is being played close to their chest, but referred to as a shady character. Could be a dark force user that has no affiliation. Possibly a mercenary for hire.

Could be. For the record, JJ has said that Kylo and Snoke are not Sith. As for Del Toro, I hope he's a dark Jedi, but I doubt it. We could be being trolled. I've heard he's some hacker and splicer on Canto Blight that the Resistance needs, but his "job" on that planet could very well be a DJ for those banquets and fancy get together's they have there. Weird for Star Wars, but it's Rian Johnson. Don't know what else DJ could mean other than dark Jedi or an actual DJ, though. Don Juan archetype? Rian said we'd understand why he's called that. Darth Junior? Did Vader have another son with Dr. Aphra? Doubtful. It's probably something minor.

I'm so intrigued what they are going to do about Leia. They admitted they had big plans for her in episode 9, and I don't see them just saying that as a 'misdirect' and that she in fact dies in episode 8 as that would be pretty s**t form from lucasfilm I also can't see them recasting her.

I was certain they'd find a way to edit it in such a way she dies an honorable death in episode 8. But after the trailer I'm not so sure and still believe she will survive to Ep 9

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm so intrigued what they are going to do about Leia. They admitted they had big plans for her in episode 9, and I don't see them just saying that as a 'misdirect' and that she in fact dies in episode 8 as that would be pretty s**t form from lucasfilm I also can't see them recasting her.

I was certain they'd find a way to edit it in such a way she dies an honorable death in episode 8. But after the trailer I'm not so sure and still believe she will survive to Ep 9

Snoke will get her to reveal the location of something (like in A New Hope poetryitrhymes.gif) then murder her anyway. This will be a turning point for her son.

Tidbits....

Some of DJ's lines, from the Hasbro Force Link figure:

"Hey, I'm a thief." •
"I can get you out of here." •
"If the price is right." •
"Let's get this over with...." •
"Oh, for Hutt sake!" •
*sound effects*

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=JReviews&rop=showcontent&id=3075/#gallery

DJ being a Force Sensitive Slicer does have merit I think? Especially if the rumor of Maz Kanata being at Canto Bight holds true. It might be possible that Maz has an undeground network of her own comprised of Force Sensitives in hiding? She has been around for 1000 years.

Maz is mobile in space and refers the Resistance to seek out DJ.

She, herself, is not on Canto Bight.

Clearly watching the Trailer, when Rey says "I need someone to show me my place in all this".....she's in a cave, you can hear the sound of her voice is like it would sound when talking inside a cave.....the same cave we see her and Luke training in in that Trailer.

Whereas when Kylo reaches out a hand, it's outside, burning wreckage or fire-fighting behind in the distance.

There is no "distance" in a cave, and no echoing sound outside in an open field.

Something I've been oddly relating to TLJ, and the potential relationship between Kylo and Rey, is the movie BULLETPROOF MONK.

In that film, a guy and a girl, begin hating each other, tho oddly attracted to each other. Both are good at martial arts, both from very different backgrounds. The guy befriends a monk, who teaches the guy better martial arts, indeed mystical powers, because he feels he is "the one". It's all related to a secret buddhist/zen code that he will pass down to someone -- because he's dying. In the end, the monk informs them that "the one" is actually the both of them together. So half of the secret code is imparted into each one, a unity, so that the two shall always be united due to now being the only ones who can pass this code down to a future generation.

So, I see a parallel (even if Rian Johnson never used this film for a story/infuence), in that Luke is obviously at the end of his life, and he needs to pass down his teachings to a "chosen one". But realizes both Kylo and Rey possess rare and strong Force in both dark and light, and that a union between them (whether romantic or platonic) is what the end game is for Luke. And, perhaps too, Snoke realizes the same thing. So it's like two monks (one from the light, one from the dark) both trying to win over the other one of the two to their side, so that the union between Kylo and Rey can spawn a new generation of super-powerful Force users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back