Play Nice North Melbourne - 2018 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you saying north has never had bailouts?

“North Melbourne was the only club in Victoria not to have income from poker machines. While the Kangaroos announced a small operating profit of $420,000 from revenue of about $34 million, the profit was only achieved with $2.8 million in additional funds from the AFL in future fund distributions.”

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...millions-in-aid-from-afl-20150228-13rqwm.html

You are referring to the AFL (a body that consists of and represents the clubs) giving the money earned by the clubs back to to 12 of those clubs when it was required.

So what? Do you dip in to your savings when you need them?

Call it whatever you want - but if the afl finally decide youre moving - youre moving or they cut off the money.

You need to get this in to your head Al.

The AFL has no more power than the Margaret River Rotarian's when it come to merging or relocating a club.

Your hypothesis has no basis in actual reality.

Oh and kudos for the no pokies thing. s**t things they are.

It's the clubs position. I'm personally indifferent about the matter.

If they were to become the Tasmania-North Kangaroos or similar in a ‘co-location’ (Say 8 home games in Tas, 3 in Melb plus 5 odd away games) they’d almost become a powerhouse in terms of membership and support. Great home ground advantage too.

We were in North Melbourne when you were in Ascot Vale
We were in North Melbourne when you were in East Melbourne
We were in North Melbourne when you were in Glenbervie
We were in North Melbourne when you were in Tullamarine
We'll still be in North Melbourne we you go to Bacchus Marsh!

You folded your club when we were coming to North Melbourne.

You folded your club when we were coming to North Melbourne.

Nice revisionism.

Your mob cleared out when they learned that any club playing at Arden Street had to be named North Melbourne and then won back to back flags with a North legend as your Captain Coach.

4 years later, we entered in our own right. A mere hiccup.

What about training base? Relocated in Tasmania? I reckon they could get state government funding down there and bigger land compared to Arden st. Arden st has no room for expansion.

Didnt the state government plan to develop the area? Something like a new train station and $6 billion 56 hectare redevelopment? And the NMFC tripling the size of the current setup with 3 ovals.

Not sure any of this stuff will ever get built, but I can't agree that there is no room for expansion.

Firstly you delayed your rebuild too long.

Secondly, a net gain of pick 36 for the loss of so much quality isnt great headed into a rebuild.

Not really. We're playing an awful of of kids. You're on your way down. We're headed in the other direction. We're just two ships passing in the night.

Last year it was won by Docherty (then 22) who was runner up again this year (his first AA), and the year before it was won by Cripps at 20, when he was runner up in the R/S to Hogan. Im not at all concerned with our young talent coming through. We had 5 x R/S noms this year for a reason.

We're retaining a core of experienced players to enable us to play them, while releasing senior blokes in a staggered fashion to enable us to get young talent in the door. Last year it was Touhy (we upgraded a 2nd to a 1st). Year before it was Henderson (for a future 1st), Menzel (second rounder), Yarran (pick 19) and Bell and pick 41 (for picks 21 and 60). This year it was Gibbs for picks 10 and 16. We then split 16 into 3 x 2nd rounders, using one to grab Kennedy (former pick 13) retaining one this year (pick 30) and keeping the Dogs 2nd rounder to go with Adelaides future second rounder we have next year.

We've got a plan in place. Been at it for 2 years now.

I'm not seeing Norths plan. It seems to be 'push older players out the door and throw a bucket-load of money at established players.'

We didnt make a play for Martin. We made a play for Kennedy, Lang, Rocky, Saad, Lobbe, Smith and Kelly. We got three of those four. We didnt overpay (in terms of $$$ or picks) as we are more focused on getting in youth by trading out older players, and improving our draft position, than we were in making big money plays for older players.

What Im getting at here, is I can see a clear list management strategy from Carlton here.

I cant see one from North (or Collingwood this year either, but that's a different story).
Delayed our rebuild too long? It started in 2016. Just one year after making the prelim. Are you saying we should have started a rebuild the same year as making the prelim? Has any club ever done that? Even starting a rebuild the same year as being 9-zip is rather bold.

It is a shame that Essendon and North never really developed an intense rivalry. The fact that they are neighbouring suburbs, the various shenanigans from 100 years ago - in the 70s, 80s and 90s each side's peak just missed the other's - they really haven't played any hugely memorable finals since 1950.

I know Sheedy and Pagan tried to get the 'marshmallows' going - but it just seems such a natural set-up for a pure rivalry, it could be special.

If they were to become the Tasmania-North Kangaroos or similar in a ‘co-location’ (Say 8 home games in Tas, 3 in Melb plus 5 odd away games) they’d almost become a powerhouse in terms of membership and support. Great home ground advantage too.

Shotgun marriages are rarely successful. It may work in non AFL territory, but not in a mature AFL area. Imagine in the day a VFL club had beed relocated to Adelaide. How do you think that would've worked????

Shotgun marriages are rarely successful. It may work in non AFL territory, but not in a mature AFL area. Imagine in the day a VFL club had beed relocated to Adelaide. How do you think that would've worked????
Launceston appears to have built support for Hawthorn after just a 10 year period. I reckon a large number of tasmanians (not all) would get behind the Roos if marketed as ‘Tasmania’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judd went to Carlton after they had finished 15th and 16th last 2 years.

Boyd went to the Bulldogs after they had finished 14th. Everyone knew GWS were closer to a flag than the Bulldogs.

Gary Ablett left a Grand Finalist to play for strugglers.

Money talks. Enough money eventually always talks.

Launceston appears to have built support for Hawthorn after just a 10 year period. I reckon a large number of tasmanians (not all) would get behind the Roos if marketed as ‘Tasmania’

Really? They've been here 16 years & have 9k members only.

Don't you think being 'marketed as' Tasmania would be seen as just an AFL con job by a football savvy market?

Being 'marketed as' something is not the same as BEING something. IMO their'd be a big pushback & a rather cynical attitude to such a con job.

And that is all apart from real North Melbourne Supporters attitude to it all. They'd certainly have their say about it.

1) The EFC didn't move to Arden Street. This is a complete fallacy. It was mooted, but it never actually occurred.

2) The North Melbourne council declared that any club that played from the Arden Street reserve was to solely be titled "North Melbourne" and it existed for the sole purpose of the recreation of the inhabitants of the North Melbourne shire. When your mob caught wind of this they realised that North weren't the ones being set up, they were. We didn't want you, why would we, we had the better players. North wanted your VFL licence and went very close to getting it.

3) Your mob was a hopeless homeless rabble that had not contended in finals for 10 years and you set out to poach the North's VFA "invincibles" who were arguably the best side in the country. When they knew this would spell the end of the EFC as it was known, they then moved on to Windy Hill, and with the shonky dealings of one A.F. Showler and his promise of tax payers money for a tram spur, had the local council toss out the Essendon Association club from their home groundl. A side that couldn't make the final 4 in 9 and 10 team competitions, now did a miraculous turnabout and won the 1923-24 VFL premierships led by members the North invincibles VFA side. Once a parasite, always a parasite.

4) North with it's list now decimated, folded many of the leftover players from the Essendon Association club in to the North Melbourne VFA side and played as North Melbourne in our clubs traditional colors and at our clubs traditional home.

5) The effect of all of this was that North were disqualified from playing during the 1921 VFA season and finished with 5 wins from 8 matches. The club finished 3rd in 1922 with 12 wins from 18 matches. The NMFC never folded, it was suspended from competition for half a season.

6) 2 years later we entered the VFL in our own right.
I do enjoy a good history lesson.

I think the real danger is that North, like it or not, are a club that really needs to be offering consistent hope to its supporter base, or run the risk of its basic functions becoming a problem.

The changes it has made to its list, which I personally believe are the right thing (for the most part), mean they are probably going to have at least 2-3 years of fairly lean results. In fact, I'd have them right along side Gold Coast as favourite for the spoon in 2018.

And that is really going to hurt them from a talent acquisition perspective - who wants to go play for one of the smaller clubs in the game while they are likely to be a fairly poor side?

Going to be an interesting few years for North.

Carlton have shown quite a few signs of getting better actually.

Which is a point everyone in this thread and all these threads about other clubs misses. The sport is designed to be cyclical - some just longer and unluckier than others. Why everyone loses their minds about it is baffling.

Sent to Cairns to play against the AFL basket case in round 1.

Drum beats are getting louder about what they think of North at city hall.

Every club that puts in a s**t shift gets a bum timeslot. Well except Collingwood and etc.

This is clearly a troll thread.

It is a shame that Essendon and North never really developed an intense rivalry. The fact that they are neighbouring suburbs, the various shenanigans from 100 years ago - in the 70s, 80s and 90s each side's peak just missed the other's - they really haven't played any hugely memorable finals since 1950.

I know Sheedy and Pagan tried to get the 'marshmallows' going - but it just seems such a natural set-up for a pure rivalry, it could be special.

2014 Elimination Final? North came back to win from six goals down in the 3rd quarter?

The fact that Aurora isn't sold out every game for a stadium of 21,000 in a historically football-starved city is a fair sign that a relocated team wouldn't get solid support. I've still never been to a Hawks game there other than North vs Hawks, and it's the same for most people I know around here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back