Remove this Banner Ad

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To be honest seems a lot ignoring the lessons to be learnt off Adelaide in recent times. Kept hitting the draft for quality key position players and are now in a very enviable position with KPP depth on every line despite a fairly constant stream of quality players going out.

Naughton projects a lot higher than the majority of depth key position players and has also shown a fair bit of talent as a forward. You don't get too many chances to draft guys who with his talent, scope of potential at either end and already validated at senior state league level so am not sure why names like Cox and Austin are getting regurgitated as justification not to draft him. Don't get me wrong they've each shown a bit but to me I am very confident Naughton will be a much better player.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He struggled in peels league side. Would be a project player.

What planet did you watch him from? Because he was comfortably in their best in the two games I saw and was named in the best four times in the short stint in the side.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
To be honest seems a lot ignoring the lessons to be learnt off Adelaide in recent times. Kept hitting the draft for quality key position players and are now in a very enviable position with KPP depth on every line despite a fairly constant stream of quality players going out.

Naughton projects a lot higher than the majority of depth key position players and has also shown a fair bit of talent as a forward. You don't get too many chances to draft guys who with his talent, scope of potential at either end and already validated at senior state league level so am not sure why names like Cox and Austin are getting regurgitated as justification not to draft him. Don't get me wrong they've each shown a bit but to me I am very confident Naughton will be a much better player.
This is the part I really don't agree with. Naughton has shown very little up forward to date and certainly not enough to use as justification to pick him.

It is not just Cox (who you are underselling), its Hamling, Pearce, Logue and Cox. The difference between Naughton and 1 of those guys is significantly less than the difference between a pick 5 midfielder and a retired Mundy/whomever else we have to play through the midfield. Not to mention if pick 5 can play forward he is better than nobody (which is roughly what we have now).

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm a huge fan of Naughton. I have him No.5 on my Board.The kid is really young, still 17, and already beating WAFL and Champs key forwards. I love the pace of his thought and hence the pace of his game and how he impacts on the game.

In saying that, if i was Freo i would be going for 2 elite mids at 2&5. They've got their young defensive talls covered and need mids.

For Collingwood though, i think Naughton is an absolute no brainer. Fogarty should be the only other considered at 6, but he and Moore don't really offer absolute KPP certainty as a combo imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is actually against the rules. The AFL choose to ignore it when it suites though.

Well they can say where they want to go but does not stop other Teams Picking Him. Has Happened before

exxcessivve

All Australian
Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Essendon, Geelong, GWS, Port
So, this guy has turned out alright. This is going to sound like a pisstake but I am actually being serious: My friend's mum owns a shop and Aaron Naughton's grandma came in and claimed his newest contract is worth $4 million. For the sake of this post let's assume she decided to round that up from something like $3.2 million per year. That would still be $800k per year. If they're paying him that much, surely someone commanding a big salary is leaving the Dogs this year.

Any thoughts on this? I was thinking Tom Boyd may retire.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So, this guy has turned out alright. This is going to sound like a pisstake but I am actually being serious: My friend's mum owns a shop and Aaron Naughton's grandma came in and claimed his newest contract is worth $4 million. For the sake of this post let's assume she decided to round that up from something like $3.2 million per year. That would still be $800k per year. If they're paying him that much, surely someone commanding a big salary is leaving the Dogs this year.

We would never sign a 19 year old key forward on a million/year contract! That would be insane.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I have no reason to doubt you but it’s hard to imagine a nana boasting about her grandsons pay packet.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I absolutely love this bloke as a player. Yea he’s talented, can take a grab & play either end. But what I also love is the swagger he shows on the footy field. I’ve witnessed him yelling at much senior team mates, directing play, utter campaigner confidence bred in past players like Duck. Future captain material.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was solid round 1, was great last week and did not much in between. Could be brilliant but the hype has outweighed the performance.

6th for Marks inside 50 and 2nd in contested marks in the comp.

Granted was unsighted against Carlton and poor against Fremantle.

But he got us back into the Collingwood game, and took several big marks against Gold Coast.

To say he didn’t do much in between simply isn’t true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back