Past Craig Bird - Bye Bye Birdie, traded 2015, to Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, he's got some time on his side. The only issue is he's at Essendon. It'll take them a decade to get over this IMO. They certainly aren't a "club of choice" at the moment and now they have to throw their youngest developing players to the lions and make them play senior level way too early and with little to no senior leadership to guide them. They will either surprise everyone and rise to the challenge or they will fail and potentially their development will be stunted or damaged. A parallel could be drawn with guys like Watts, who are thrown in too young with little support.

For Birdy specifically, he'll establish himself along with Goddard as the core players in the side. Daniher, Leuy, Merrett, Baguley, Goddard, Dempsey, Bird, Zaha. That's the core of the club for this year. I reckon that's comparable to Carlton and possibly Stk atm so not wooden spoon certainties but not good. At least he'll get lots of game time and ability to shine.....

If he can improve on his 2012 form over the next two years he could be a good pick up for a club in the 'window'.

Yeah, he's got some time on his side. The only issue is he's at Essendon. It'll take them a decade to get over this IMO. They certainly aren't a "club of choice" at the moment and now they have to throw their youngest developing players to the lions and make them play senior level way too early and with little to no senior leadership to guide them. They will either surprise everyone and rise to the challenge or they will fail and potentially their development will be stunted or damaged. A parallel could be drawn with guys like Watts, who are thrown in too young with little support.

For Birdy specifically, he'll establish himself along with Goddard as the core players in the side. Daniher, Leuy, Merrett, Baguley, Goddard, Dempsey, Bird, Zaha. That's the core of the club for this year. I reckon that's comparable to Carlton and possibly Stk atm so not wooden spoon certainties but not good. At least he'll get lots of game time and ability to shine.....

Also cooney gwilt and to a lesser extent mckernan as senior core members.

Gold Coast would do well to pick him up.

I think he is pointless for GC. I think he will find a spot in the VFL/WAFL/etc... if he still wants to play at that level.

Gold Coasts midfield next year will have a lot better players than him in the rotation Barlow/Weller/Lyon/Hall/Hanley/Rosa/Fiorini/Miller/Brodie/Rischitelli/Bowes/etc......... They have a lot better depth than needing Bird.

GC midfield won't be the best midfield in the competition, but, they would be wasting their time putting games into Bird.

When rebuilding, why waste time with someone like Bird?

I think he is pointless for GC. I think he will find a spot in the VFL/WAFL/etc... if he still wants to play at that level.

Gold Coasts midfield next year will have a lot better players than him in the rotation Barlow/Weller/Lyon/Hall/Hanley/Rosa/Fiorini/Miller/Brodie/Rischitelli/Bowes/etc......... They have a lot better depth than needing Bird.

GC midfield won't be the best midfield in the competition, but, they would be wasting their time putting games into Bird.

When rebuilding, why waste time with someone like Bird?
GC as a whole have lacked leaders. They've got a bunch of talent but not too many players who lead through training and are generals around the ground through structures, tagging, etc. Bird did all this at the Swans. That's why I'd bring him at the Sun's

GC as a whole have lacked leaders. They've got a bunch of talent but not too many players who lead through training and are generals around the ground through structures, tagging, etc. Bird did all this at the Swans. That's why I'd bring him at the Sun's

What evidence do you have that players like Barlow, Lyon, Hanley, Weller, Rosa, Rischitelli, etc.... don't train well as experienced players to the draftees?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mediocre footballer? Played 157 games. Didn't you base your whole Kinnear Beatson vs the average recruiter on games played? Surely this then must contradict that.
Being delisted from a team like * suggests he is currently mediocre, notwithstanding anything he has done previously. Surely you can separate the two

Mediocre footballer? Played 157 games. Didn't you base your whole Kinnear Beatson vs the average recruiter on games played? Surely this then must contradict that.

Craig Bird was every bit as important to our 2012 premiership as Ben Matthews was to our 2005 premiership. Players that perform to perfection the role asked of them by their coaches can never be described as mediocre.

Life must suck when it's instinctive to throw an insult first.

Yeah, yeah! I'll support how I want to & they'll support how they want to.
Default comment.

Wasn't quite quick enough when he did play and certainly not quick enough for the modern game. Essendon's game plan had no room for him.
Maybe he'll get a chance in the delisted window, but will always remember him as a 2012 premiership player.

I can assure you he would have done better than most of that midfield group that were torn new arseholes in the first final against us.
Bird would have got his hands dirty in a final that's for sure.

He did what was needed for his role. He had a great goal in a NAB cup game...I can't remember against, who...just that it was great. I'll try and find it!

I can assure you he would have done better than most of that midfield group that were torn new arseholes in the first final against us.
Bird would have got his hands dirty in a final that's for sure.
That might be so. Essendon's game plan was built on speed of movement and ball. Watson and Bird most definitely did not fit the mould, and now they're both gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back