Is Geelong home games at Etihad the biggest league-endorsed rort of recent times?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is brought up a lot, sure there aren't a lot of tickets available for away fans, but if you want to go, buy a ticket when the draw comes out.

There were several tickets available for our R21 game last year the week of the game. If you wanted to go badly enough, you'd go. At the end of day, complaining about not being able to get into other team's home grounds is pretty embarrassing anyway.
Absolutely. Anyone who wanted to go had the opportunity.

I think we have a shitty draw and we have next to no depth now too.

Hawks - not as bad as neutrals seem to think
Suns - they beat us last time we played them, we always lose to s**t sides (see H&A results in 2016+2017) due to a cocky attitude
Demons - on the rise and we are on the fall
Swans - we've beaten them once, maybe twice in the last 5 years, our bogey side
Tigers - generally our bitch but did you see the last encounter?

Your pov is irrelevant though - facts are that's three teams outside the 8 when you finished second.

This is from 2015 but I'm sure still relevant:

"Top six: Clubs ranked 1-6 on the 2015 ladder will have a minimum of two and maximum of three return meetings with other top six clubs. They will have a minimum of one and maximum of two return meetings with clubs ranked 7-12. They will have either no return meetings or a maximum of one return meeting with clubs ranked 13-18."

Now I understand that the cats v Hawks will get played twice due to the supposed rivalry but tbh it's kind of gone past its use by date once the Kennett curse got broken but I'm sure our respective clubs have requested return matches

You would then have to think that the second one from that group you selected would be against Melbourne.

Can't imagine you playing the Suns twice. So that leaves Bombers, Eagles, Dogs and Saints if the AFL are generous and gift you a third double up against a team outside the 8

Carlton and Hawthorn should be shafted to our small stadium next year. Only Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood shouldn't come here if anyone doesn't.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Hawks go down to geelong - don't see the issue tbh. Got to be able to win anywhere if you are going to play finals. Maybe the Hawks could request Cats down at Tassie if it's all about home ground advantage

Your pov is irrelevant though - facts are that's three teams outside the 8 when you finished second.

This is from 2015 but I'm sure still relevant:

"Top six: Clubs ranked 1-6 on the 2015 ladder will have a minimum of two and maximum of three return meetings with other top six clubs. They will have a minimum of one and maximum of two return meetings with clubs ranked 7-12. They will have either no return meetings or a maximum of one return meeting with clubs ranked 13-18."

Now I understand that the cats v Hawks will get played twice due to the supposed rivalry but tbh it's kind of gone past its use by date once the Kennett curse got broken but I'm sure our respective clubs have requested return matches

You would then have to think that the second one from that group you selected would be against Melbourne.

Can't imagine you playing the Suns twice. So that leaves Bombers, Eagles, Dogs and Saints if the AFL are generous and gift you a third double up against a team outside the 8

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Hawks go down to geelong - don't see the issue tbh. Got to be able to win anywhere if you are going to play finals. Maybe the Hawks could request Cats down at Tassie if it's all about home ground advantage

So you're saying our draw is within those rules? It's quite clearly laid out in post finals order. We play Melbourne twice who finished 9th on percentage, after we finished 3rd. Seems a fair gig to me.

One game in tassie, the other in geelong. Hawks fans wouldn't complain surely

Why would they? Their record is good down there but * they are awful games to watch because of the conditions

Just not tigers at the G

Well it's you or them by my reckoning, if we're to get 9 home games. Suspect Carlton will be coming already.

You want your home game v Geelong in Tassie, go for it. We'll have ours at KP. I don't understand why this is such an issue.

Well it's you or them by my reckoning, if we're to get 9 home games. Suspect Carlton will be coming already.

You want your home game v Geelong in Tassie, go for it. We'll have ours at KP. I don't understand why this is such an issue.

Don't recall saying it was. It's the cats fans doing all the bleating

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lost profit maybe?

Maybe - don't know the financials. I know they get a fair bit for games in Tassie. Vic members quite rightfully would be against it though as last season some of our home games saw us play low drawing clubs anyway so they need more Vic clubs to cover that. Be nice if we could have our games against the Suns, Lions ect as the designated home game at Etihad rather than against an Etihad tenant, not that it mattered as we beat the dogs anyway, but it makes more sense imo

This is brought up a lot, sure there aren't a lot of tickets available for away fans, but if you want to go, buy a ticket when the draw comes out.

There were several tickets available for our R21 game last year the week of the game. If you wanted to go badly enough, you'd go. At the end of day, complaining about not being able to get into other team's home grounds is pretty embarrassing anyway.
It's a bit silly to say everyone could go if only they beat each other out for a ticket! The fact is the capacity is 34,000 and only a fraction of that is available to oppo supporters.

Anyway, not complaining, you literally asked for Richmond opinions about being drawn to play there.

* me dead.

Cats fans still having a bitch about this?!

- 10 years of being a decent or awesome team
- 3 flags
- the best player in the league says he want to come to you for basically nothing
- one of the best players ever says he wants to come back to you for basically nothing
- Only team in the league who has a genuine home ground advantage without having to jump on a plane every two weeks

Only Hawks supporters can give you guys a run for your money for being the most kissed on the dick the past 10 years. Its pathetic that some of you have the gall to moan about this s**t.

**** me dead.

Cats fans still having a bitch about this?!

- 10 years of being a decent or awesome team
- 3 flags
- the best player in the league says he want to come to you for basically nothing
- one of the best players ever says he wants to come back to you for basically nothing
- Only team in the league who has a genuine home ground advantage without having to jump on a plane every two weeks

Only Hawks supporters can give you guys a run for your money for being the most kissed on the dick the past 10 years. Its pathetic that some of you have the gall to moan about this s**t.
All of this success, yet having just 7 home games a year and 0 home finals.

Monumental achievement.

cattle prods in the rear end anyone? geelong get's a crap load of handling in rearguards to signing up their livelihood.

not quite sure we do but I'm wiling to counterpoint you.

So Geelong's double ups for next year are apparently Richmond, Sydney, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Gold Coast.

Given the suggestion that we will get 9 games at KP, will it be Richmond coming to KP again, along with perhaps Carlton? You'd think we'll have a home game against Hawthorn at G, and perhaps this year we'll get the Country Game as our home game there vs Essendon, given they've had it the last two years.

Is 9 home games at KP too much to ask, especially when Fremantle get 13 games at the new Perth stadium?
Won't be Richmond at KP, you'll be playing us twice at the G;)
Melbourne would be the logical one if you get 9 games in Geelong.
Carlton just about a sure thing especially since Fitzpatrick is no longer able to look after them.

Last edited:
Won't be Richmond at KP, you'll be playing us twice at the G;)
Melbourne would be the logical one if you get 9 games in Geelong.
Carlton just about a sure thing especially since Fitzpatrick is no longer able to look after them.
Carlton is a lock, that's been reported. We double up, so no reason why your game can't be at Etihad, and ours at KP?

Carlton is a lock, that's been reported. We double up, so no reason why your game can't be at Etihad, and ours at KP?
We won't be playing at KP, both games will be at the MCG you can almost guarantee it.
If we have to play a home game at Etihad again it will be against a low ranked interstate side again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back