No Oppo Supporters 2017 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

More so curious as to how they think he wouldve developed in NSW without academy.
That fact is eluding them completely:p Apparently, no matter where a kid plays the strengths of the company, competition and level of coaching are irrelevant and based on genetics alone they will be a gun player:drunk:

Just saw that Luke Hodge autobiography is titled "Luke Hodge, The General".

Yuck. Ruined my morning.

Can you imagine what that ghost writer had to have dealt with?

Converting AFL footballer speech into English.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RE two things in the media thread that apparently belong here...

1. how could anyone have any issues with Florent? I thought he had a perfectly fine first season as an eighteen year old. Had some very good moments that showed he at least had what it takes at senior level, had some rough patches in games that showed he is human, then went to the reserves where he was (generally) one of our better players and kept at it nearly all year until he kind of fizzled right at the end. He averaged 10 disposals, which I have to say, is fine by me considering he was playing as either an outside midfielder or a small forward. Both roles can be typically challenging to produce consistently high numbers for even the best, so the fact that Oliver couldn't do it when he was the size of a twig, I can live with that. What stood out to me more than how much he was getting the ball as probably player number 20-22 in every game he played, was the fact he was hard working and wasn't afraid to put his head over the ball. There seemed to be no trepidation or apprehension whenever he played which are typically common with 18 year olds straight out of the draft (some players the fear never leaves them. See: Cunningham) so that bodes well. IMO the limited opportunities we had to see him, he actually provided some of the highlights of the year for me. His soccer goal off the side of the boot against Essendon showed his smarts and helped win us that game. His first kick in AFL was a perfect kick inside 50, something Swans fans are not accustomed to. And then there was his run-down tackle on JJ and the clutch goal from the boundary line to follow it up. These were all moments that will eventually build into something more comprehensive as he continues to develop. I enjoyed the preview though.

2. I would not take anything Joel Creasey says seriously. I know his family and have known him for some time and he is a sociopathic liar and attention-seeking narcissist. There's nothing wrong with being gay and if there was in fact a gay Swan I'd continue to support him with no issue whatsoever but I just don't believe it because this dude will literally throw everything at the wall and hope that something sticks.

1. how could anyone have any issues with Florent? I thought he had a perfectly fine first season as an eighteen year old. Had some very good moments that showed he at least had what it takes at senior level, had some rough patches in games that showed he is human, then went to the reserves where he was (generally) one of our better players and kept at it nearly all year until he kind of fizzled right at the end. He averaged 10 disposals, which I have to say, is fine by me considering he was playing as either an outside midfielder or a small forward. Both roles can be typically challenging to produce consistently high numbers for even the best, so the fact that Oliver couldn't do it when he was the size of a twig, I can live with that. What stood out to me more than how much he was getting the ball as probably player number 20-22 in every game he played, was the fact he was hard working and wasn't afraid to put his head over the ball. There seemed to be no trepidation or apprehension whenever he played which are typically common with 18 year olds straight out of the draft (some players the fear never leaves them. See: Cunningham) so that bodes well. IMO the limited opportunities we had to see him, he actually provided some of the highlights of the year for me. His soccer goal off the side of the boot against Essendon showed his smarts and helped win us that game. His first kick in AFL was a perfect kick inside 50, something Swans fans are not accustomed to. And then there was his run-down tackle on JJ and the clutch goal from the boundary line to follow it up. These were all moments that will eventually build into something more comprehensive as he continues to develop. I enjoyed the preview though.

We've been spoiled lately with Heeney and Mills. If you compare him to Jones from the season before he's well in track

We've been spoiled lately with Heeney and Mills. If you compare him to Jones from the season before he's well in track

Yep players like Lloyd and Hewett also give me great faith that you can continue to improve and develop your game with each season.

Yep players like Lloyd and Hewett also give me great faith that you can continue to improve and develop your game with each season.
Yeah it often takes a number of players a while to develop, we just often forget about this when some kids come crashing into the scene. It also doesn't help when guys like Rampe, Melican & Papley come straight off the rookie spot and cement themselves in with ease.

2. I would not take anything Joel Creasey says seriously. I know his family and have known him for some time and he is a sociopathic liar and attention-seeking narcissist. There's nothing wrong with being gay and if there was in fact a gay Swan I'd continue to support him with no issue whatsoever but I just don't believe it because this dude will literally throw everything at the wall and hope that something sticks.
I’ve thought exactly the same on number 2. It’s a case of ‘whatever gets you attention princess’!

I did a quick comparison of the stat categories to see how the Swans stacked up in 2017. I was surprised a little - the Swan aren't the hard-tackling contested side that we thought.

KEY POINTS
1. First - it's telling to look at the categories topped by non-top 8 sides and where top sides rank low, - eg, Collingwood with most marks. A few junk stats there. Those we can ignore.
2. Swans did really well in marks inside 50 and contested marks (2nd!). Wouldn't have picked those.
3. Ranked just 5th for contest possessions - slightly lower than I'd have expected - and 12th for tackles - way lower.
4. The other stat that jumps out is Inside 50s - Sydney are 10th, the grand finalists 2nd and 3rd. Even with the back six's ability to soak it up, that seems a little low.
5. Interesting to see how Richmond ranked in the middle for most stats and in the GF blew away Adelaide in the Crows' strong areas of contesteds and clearances.
Stats2-1.jpg

I did a quick comparison of the stat categories to see how the Swans stacked up in 2017. I was surprised a little - the Swan aren't the hard-tackling contested side that we thought.

KEY POINTS
1. First - it's telling to look at the categories topped by non-top 8 sides and where top sides rank low, - eg, Collingwood with most marks. A few junk stats there. Those we can ignore.
2. Swans did really well in marks inside 50 and contested marks (2nd!). Wouldn't have picked those.
3. Ranked just 5th for contest possessions - slightly lower than I'd have expected - and 12th for tackles - way lower.
4. The other stat that jumps out is Inside 50s - Sydney are 10th, the grand finalists 2nd and 3rd. Even with the back six's ability to soak it up, that seems a little low.
5. Interesting to see how Richmond ranked in the middle for most stats and in the GF blew away Adelaide in the Crows' strong areas of contesteds and clearances.
View attachment 434908

Interesting.

Validates a pet theory of mine. Forget season avg stats. These are corrupted by the blowouts in either direction. Practically meaningless.

Look at what stats were won in each actual game won and lost and try to spot trends only in losses and only in wins and keep the two trend lines separate. Not by combining the two.

It's why I think it's more informatove to watch the stats in games you lose if you want to know what needs to improve. You can look at stats where you win 8 games by 50pts til the cows come home (as Adel certainly could) and learn nothing.

Richmond won almost every stat in that GF. That's important. Not whether they averaged mid table over the season.

Season avgs mean bugger all if a team comes to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back