News Police probe tiger over topless photo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
LMAO.

This has NOTHING to do with women. If he was gay and sent a picture of the medal around another guys tackle, it would have been just as bad if not worse.

Well homophobia's an issue as well as sexism. But if it was a female player and she sent a picture of a guy's utensil, no it definitely would not have been as bad or worse. People wouldn't assume and spread that the man was a prostitute or a stripper, or that he was only interested in money, or that he secretly wanted the photos to get out for exposure, or whatever other reason to deflect blame from the player.

The other thing that is disturbing about the way that law is, is that your whole criminal conviction rests on the word of one person. If the photographed person says they are happy for you to press that button and distribute it, you have not broken any laws. If they say you cannot, you are a criminal if you do.

That is too fine a line for me and can be manipulated too easily.

In this case we then take into account the drunken state of a person and their impaired decision making and it seems way over the top if you punish a first offender harshly.

That's not how it works at all - innocence until proven guilty and all that jazz. It's one of the issues with sex crimes is that the guilty often get away with it because of a lack of evidence (certainly moreso than the innocent being wrongly convicted).

Yes, even if women like to have sex, they deserve dignity and respect.
Of course, women who dislike having sex deserve even greater dignity and respect.
They're all really madonnas or whores, aren't they?

No, liking or disliking sex isn't a reason to cast judgment on a person. People shouldn't feel ashamed for having sexual relations. And that shaming does mostly occur with women - a woman who sleeps around is a ****, a man who sleeps around is a legend.

Well homophobia's an issue as well as sexism. But if it was a female player and she sent a picture of a guy's utensil, no it definitely would not have been as bad or worse. People wouldn't assume and spread that the man was a prostitute or a stripper, or that he was only interested in money, or that he secretly wanted the photos to get out for exposure, or whatever other reason to deflect blame from the player.
Disagree. We are talking about the victim here and the humiliation of the photo. It would be just as humiliating for the bloke. You are looking at it the wrong way. We should be judging people by the same standards regardless of their gender. You are making assumptions and differentiating their gender. If people continue to think like you, the situation will never improve.

So you think the whole thing wasn't stage managed? Really?

Yes, i think the notion being put up by some that her mum sent her out to sexually trap and blackmail a footballer beyond stupid and ridiculous

But the law isn't always about victims. This is how strange our society has become.

If you have an affair with you best friend's (or anyone's) wife/husband, you have not broken any laws. None. You may say that is between two consenting adults. However there is a third adult who never consented to it and who is hurt infinitely more than the victim of this photo scandal. It literally ruins their life as they know it and also probably ruins them financially too.

Yet society conveniently accepts it and there is no law broken. This despite morally committing one of the worst crimes possible.

Yes, our society is just so so strange......

A very odd argument. Apart from religious institutions and perhaps some non-religious there’s no “moral police”. There’s a reason why we have seperation of powers in modern democracies.

Disagree. We are talking about the victim here and the humiliation of the photo. It would be just as humiliating for the bloke. You are looking at it the wrong way. We should be judging people by the same standards regardless of their gender. You are making assumptions and differentiating their gender. If people continue to think like you, the situation will never improve.

No, you have verballed me. I'm not saying the humiliation or the crime would be any different, of course not. What I am saying is the response to it and the discourse would be different. The immediate presumption here, which has lasted despite it now being pretty clearly shown not to be the case, was that the woman was at fault, possibly had ulterior motives and probably was involved in the sex industry. To defend "our boy" people attacked the woman, despite her being innocent. A male would not be presumed to be a trap or a prostitute.

That's the problem when we make assumptions on what we are 'sure' other people think.

Well we don’t need to make assumptions in this instance because the woman in question said exactly that in her media statement via her legal representatives.

Yes, i think the notion being put up by some that her mum sent her out to sexually trap and blackmail a footballer beyond stupid and ridiculous
Who said her mum sent her out to trap a footballer? Her mum took her to the after party but it's ridiculous to read in anything but that she provided transport.

I was also talking about yesterdays press conference and what was said.

Who said her mum sent her out to trap a footballer? Her mum took her to the after party but it's ridiculous to read in anything but that she provided transport.

I was also talking about yesterdays press conference and what was said.

I think what mb said makes more sense than the "she is a whore" fanbois on here

A very odd argument. Apart from religious institutions and perhaps some non-religious there’s no “moral police”. There’s a reason why we have seperation of powers in modern democracies.
What? This transcends religions. This is a moral obscenity not accepted in just about any society. Yet it's not a crime in most societies.

You do realise that there may be many societies out there that would not deem the photo scandal as a crime too?

So you see it is what we are comfortable to accept to some extent. Ten years ago, this wasn't a crime. Now it is.

I think what mb said makes more sense than the "she is a whore" fanbois on here
You look at things and argue things that have many shades of grey as black and white. Most people do not think of her as a whore at all. That is just a precious few. Many think that she put herself in a dangerous situation and if she was a little more savvy, Broad would never have had the chance to perform the "crime".

That is not blaming her. That is saying she was naive. That is not a slur on her. She would probably admit that she was naive herself. Many out there are naive but I hope that this is a lesson to the innocent who place their trust in others they should not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What? This transcends religions. This is a moral obscenity not accepted in just about any society. Yet it's not a crime in most societies.

You do realise that there may be many societies out there that would not deem the photo scandal as a crime too?

So you see it is what we are comfortable to accept to some extent. Ten years ago, this wasn't a crime. Now it is.

10 years ago the extent of social media and the problems it brings we’re not self evident. We understand more about what the implications of these issues are today. In this land it is a crime. That’s the start and end of it.

You look at things and argue things that have many shades of grey as black and white. Most people do not think of her as a whore at all. That is just a precious few. Many think that she put herself in a dangerous situation and if she was a little more savvy, Broad would never have had the chance to perform the "crime".

That is not blaming her. That is saying she was naive. That is not a slur on her. She would probably admit that she was naive herself. Many out there are naive but I hope that this is a lesson to the innocent who place their trust in others they should not.

Saying she set out to entrap a footballer is blaming her

10 years ago the extent of social media and the problems it brings we’re not self evident. We understand more about what the implications of these issues are today. In this land it is a crime. That’s the start and end of it.
Yes but those who committed the act ten years ago are NOT criminals. Fact. I'm pretty sure Nathan Broad was unaware he was breaking the law when he sent that photo too. I know ignorance of the law is no excuse and he has learnt a harsh lesson. It has been a strange way of educating the public on the current laws of the land.

Saying she set out to entrap a footballer is blaming her
I disagree. Entrapping a person you are keen on happens day in day out. People do it all the time in some way or form. That's how many people eventually hook up with their long term partner. There is nothing wrong with it as often the other person is well aware of the situation. It's not casting blame.

I disagree. Entrapping a person you are keen on happens day in day out. People do it all the time in some way or form. That's how many people eventually hook up with their long term partner. There is nothing wrong with it as often the other person is well aware of the situation. It's not casting blame.

Entrapping isnt hooking up, the implications are more sinister, esp with accusations she was out for a pay day

Yes but those who committed the act ten years ago are NOT criminals. Fact. I'm pretty sure Nathan Broad was unaware he was breaking the law when he sent that photo too. I know ignorance of the law is no excuse and he has learnt a harsh lesson. It has been a strange way of educating the public on the current laws of the land.

Unless he was sick the day he was inducted and missed the training sessions on social media from the AFLPA I could understand. Even if that were true ignorance is never a defence for committing a criminal offence.

Entrapping isnt hooking up, the implications are more sinister, esp with accusations she was out for a pay day
Well, I have never thought she was out for a pay day. The family are a Richmond family and would never do that.

Also if a player is so stupid he can't tell that he is being "entrapped" he deserves everything that comes. They get a lot of education in this area.

Unless he was sick the day he was inducted and missed the training sessions on social media from the AFLPA I could understand. Even if that were true ignorance is never a defence for committing a criminal offence.
Have you been to those sessions? I don't know what has been discussed in the past in these. I know what will be discussed in the future though.

Have you been to those sessions? I don't know what has been discussed in the past in these. I know what will be discussed in the future though.

I know for a fact the players get a significant amount of information and training on using social media.

Training in social media is quite wide ranging. Do you know for a fact that they are taught not to what Broad did specifically?

Let me put it this way. The AFL has a risk management policy which includes the use of social media. It also means the clubs are to have a social media policy (the dos and donts) including training and educating all staff and players on how to use it.

If your question is was I there on the day Broad was given this training and can first hand attest to him being there, hearing and comprehending it, no I can’t. I do find it highly unlikely he wasn’t aware of what he could and couldn’t do. Being pissed and doing it I can see how it may have slipped his mind. No excuse though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back