2018 Fixture Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't go to Adelaide once

We play Etihad better than the G

Our double ups are good but we have shown we can beat the cats and GWS away , plus wce are re building

How is draw terrible?

The draw is piss easy and barring injury, apathy from the players and incompetence from Longmire if we don't finish
top 4 needs to be decision time because we have worn out our welcome. Key personel both playing and coaching. No more ******* excuses. As Gough Whitlam said " Its Time "

8 6 day breaks
How many games at the MCG again?
Look at the first 6 games any injuries and we can be 0-6 again.
Play the top 6 teams twice

Feels like a minor premier draw rather than a team that finished 6th

swansfan51 when you get a moment can you check the research room to see if we have any stats on 6 day breaks?

My thoughts on the fixture for what it's worth: as others have pointed out, our start isn't that easy, I don't think we'll go 0-6 again but none of those games are guaranteed wins. It is an extremely generous fixture in terms of travel, after Round 1 we have no interstate games outside of Victoria and Queensland (which are both very short flights). I don't like making big statements about whether a draw is "easy" or "hard" as we don't know which teams will be crap next year, teams always move up and down the ladder. But we've been incredibly lucky with travel for 2 years in a row.

From a Melbourne based supporters point of view. 7 games down here is good. Unfortunately though, the Richmond and Essendon games will end up being fully ticketed meaning we will no doubt have to fork out on top of our membership to get in. As for the Richmond game being a Thursday night and the day before the end of school term is just ******* weird.

How hard is it for opposition supporters to get tickets to the SCG? Thinking of booking flights etc for the Adelaide game.

How hard is it for opposition supporters to get tickets to the SCG? Thinking of booking flights etc for the Adelaide game.

The SCG rarely sells out, you should be fine buying tickets the week of the game.

Interesting we only have 4 day games (including one at Etihad presumably under the roof)

I remember the days I'd be up on Sunday mornings/Saturday arvos for most Swans games when I was a kid. Not so anymore, though I guess the whole sport has become rather primetime-centric

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting we only have 4 day games (including one at Etihad presumably under the roof)

I remember the days I'd be up on Sunday mornings/Saturday arvos for most Swans games when I was a kid. Not so anymore, though I guess the whole sport has become rather primetime-centric
Yeah i used to love the sunday 1:10 games at the scg back when channel 9 had the tv rights and FTA would get 2 sunday games live.

I actually prefer Sunday afternoons. I do enjoy the occasional Friday and Saturday night matches but I feel like a bit of a dick always cancelling party plans to watch the AFL.......

Well that's just it there. None of the other clubs were concerned of it's unfairness either & nothing was done about it by us in the courts for fear of further retribution.
But yeah. Who cares that it happens in our competition?
Getting even involves many smiles and delivering the silverware.

Yeah i used to love the sunday 1:10 games at the scg back when channel 9 had the tv rights and FTA would get 2 sunday games live.

I miss the days of a lot more afternoon footy - next season for us is disappointing in that regard. Although I'm going to try and convince the mrs to make a first visit to whatever Kardinia Park is called now, given its a Saturday arvo game.

22853178_10154951065790887_1072584836724504448_n.jpg

Nope, big Victorian clubs just cannot complain about tough fixtures. Like Richmond for example. They play 17 out of 22 games in Victoria next year, and I think 13 or 14 of them are at the MCG. I don’t buy into the “hard teams” argument because no top 8 is identical the following year.

I don't like playing the first game at the new Perth Stadium as the Eagles will be fired up and the umpires always give them a two to three goal advantage over there. I'll be putting that one down as a loss.

Our six day breaks are against teams:
  • that have also had six days - Essendon and Carlton
  • that have had seven day breaks - Giants (home), Adelaide (h), Hawthorn (away), Suns (h), Giants (a)
  • that have had a 13 day break and are coming back after their bye - Eagles
I think that the 6 day breaks swing those games against teams that have had seven in their favour or maybe just more in their favour (except the Suns). I'm not sure what effect the bye has on the Eagles. This is another significant negative.

Our after the bye game is against Richmond who also have the bye in round 14. It's annoyed me in the past when we play after the bye against a team that has played the week before so at least that is not the case this year.

I think you're better off playing the better teams twice so I have no problem with the double ups.

I think tough games leading into finals is also good so you don't get any complacency. Essendon, Collingwood, Melbourne, Giants and Hawthorn is a good way to finish off the season.

Overall, Punts and matter of stats have it right. It's a pretty good draw for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back