Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - What an absolute jet!

Remove this Banner Ad

Well if it all goes sour and he does want a trade then off he goes to West Coast - Big deal he is not bigger than the club

West Coast will have a top 6 pick next year as im expecting them to finish bottom 6 and its a strong draft so we will get well compensated

West Coast are a fair club to deal with and It is What It Is

We can just use West Coaste 1st Rounder and our 1st rounder - Welcome Tom Lynch
didn't west coast trade it?

Im still hearing the exact opposite. That we have a contract offer on the table for him and he is not signing or negotiating. And wont be until the end of next year when his current one expires. And westcoast believe he will be going home!!!!!

ralph Carr clients don't sign early and who the fk are you again?

Well if it all goes sour and he does want a trade then off he goes to West Coast - Big deal he is not bigger than the club

West Coast will have a top 6 pick next year as im expecting them to finish bottom 6 and its a strong draft so we will get well compensated

West Coast are a fair club to deal with and It is What It Is

We can just use West Coaste 1st Rounder and our 1st rounder - Welcome Tom Lynch
they wouldnt exchange a R1 unless he played near 22g and finished top 10 B&F which i reckon may be a stretch , r2 or perhaps a switcharoony of picks would be more the go. hope he stays , looks to have enormous upside

Im still hearing the exact opposite. That we have a contract offer on the table for him and he is not signing or negotiating. And wont be until the end of next year when his current one expires. And westcoast believe he will be going home!!!!!
Personally I think that anyone in his position would be silly to be signing, or even negotiating, so far in advance. Look how much Dusty would have foregone if he had of signed early. Shai would be hoping that he gets early opportunities in the 1s and plays well enough to be able to negotiate a higher pay deal than a 2-gamer would be able to. In no way does it meant that he would prefer to leave. Again; Dusty.

The ideal three small forwards I’d pick if everyone was fit are;
Rioli, Bolton and Butler.
Castagna and Stengle as back up.

For me, Rioli, Bolton and Butler are the best of the bunch.
Butler needs to add a bit of urgency, appears to play like he has all the time in the world, which will be good when he plays a solid 4-5 years of AFL footy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If rioli comes back fit and firing and we have bolton whos had a big preseason, think about that forward line with either castagna or butler

HF: Martin, Riewoldt, Castagna
F: Rioli, Townsend, Bolton

bolton and rioli will be magic together, and butler could even play in the same time and play some midfield which he has done in spurts and been decent

If all fit and maturity continues, I would play all 3 forward and 1 interchange to rotate and maintain the speed & pressure.
It would be very difficult to counter if we can lower the eyes a little going inside 50.

I personally think he can become one of the better mids in the comp.

We keep trying to squeeze all of the mosquito fleet in the one forward line but I personally think we should play them all and squeeze one of them in the midfield and they can all keep rotating with each other.

I think Castagna can stay as a permanent forward but all of Rioli, Bolton and Butler have the skill set to open up the game in the middle of the ground or the wing.

Bolton looks like Rankine in traffic and Rankine will go 1 or 2 in next years draft.

Get excited people's.
Izak Rankine was born 23 April 2000 , Shai Bolton 8 December 1998 ...................16 months difference
Rankine is not eligible to be drafted until next year (2018) and play his first game in 2019

Shai Bolton could easily have been in this years draft and he would have been considered a top 10 pick, Just to give an example

Shai Bolton is only 37 days older than Patrick Naish

Izak Rankine was born 23 April 2000 , Shai Bolton 8 December 1998 ...................16 months difference
Rankine is not eligible to be drafted until next year (2018) and play his first game in 2019

Shai Bolton could easily have been in this years draft and he would have been considered a top 10 pick, Just to give an example

Shai Bolton is only 37 days older than Patrick Naish
Go home factor only thing that clubs worried about with bolton. Always a first round talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All my girlfriends have been very 'natural'. I think they were all pretty but they looked weird tarted up. But I secretly love trashy bogan chicks, like rough as guts, platinum bleached hair, heaps of eye make up, and most importantly a big set of bolt ons. So I'm happy with this pick.

worth a bump

We were blessed with injures this year so players like Bolton and Stengle will be invaluable. Competition for spots will be fierce and I hope Bolton ticks all the boxes this preseason and forces his way into our forwardline. Where I think Bolton is at a disadvantage is that he is still so young and so attacking in his mindset. Changing that to a defensive first focus will be his off season challenge much the same way Rioli did.

One of Boltons strengths is his leap so either he has to hold back on this to * his direct opponent when the ball is in the air or he has to develop synergy with the rest of the forwardline so he can leap at the ball and the other forwards cover his opponent and gather the crumbs (assuming he doesn't mark the ball). This year I think he struggled a little with the defensive side of his game but looked a class above when the ball was in his hand.

I hope Bolton can improve his tackling, strength around contests and desire to pressure because once he gets this together, he will become an even more potent weapon up forward than Rioli.

The concern I have with him is his speed - not his flat out running, but his quickness off the mark. I thought he got caught a few times in traffic.

Hopefully it's just that his mind hasn't adjusted to the pace of senior AFL.

Other than that- the kid's 19. Plenty to work with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back