Vic Club dominating (10 flags in 11 years)

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Vic sides V Vic sides in Grand Finals since the AFL started. 8 v 8. Was 7 v 2 until 2007 in favor of non Vic teams. It's only been the last 11 years where the Vic teams have won 6 out of 7 that has evened it up. No wonder Non Vic teams are complaining NOW.
Two pseudo state teams and a very, very good Brisbane team skew the facts somewhat. Add to that three of those non Vic flags were grand finals involving another Non Vic team. I just think its funny that there are people in this thread claiming Vic teams dont get an advantage playing the penultimate game in Melbourne when they clearly do. Past two years especially the best team has lost the GF. Bothers me but what can you do.

I'm asking you specifically about GWS, if I wanted to know about other interstate clubs I would, I'm asking you about GWS specifically.
We've had to set up a new club from scratch in a non-traditional area.
That's no small thing.

r196673_1295x864_3-2.png

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ics-explains-free-kick-counts-2017-afl-season

So lets look at the teams who have the worst free kick away records

Sydney: -2.6
GWS: -2.5
Adelaide: -2.1
Port Adelaide: -2.0
Essendon: -1.9
Hawthorn: -1.9
Gold Coast: -1.8
Fremantle: -1.8

So of the top 8 teams in terms of bad free kick records away from home, 6 of them are non-Victorian, and considering that the AFL is about 60% Victorian the fact that so many non-Victorian teams are high on that list is telling.

Will this at least kill off #freekickhawthorn?

Two pseudo state teams and a very, very good Brisbane team skew the facts somewhat. Add to that three of those non Vic flags were grand finals involving another Non Vic team. I just think its funny that there are people in this thread claiming Vic teams dont get an advantage playing the penultimate game in Melbourne when they clearly do. Past two years especially the best team has lost the GF. Bothers me but what can you do.
Interstate sides tend to overperform in the home and away season and struggle in finals.

Of course, but between 14-17 we've seen some of the most one sides GF games bar 16. That's been because they've made bad decisions re players or just had the occasion overawe them. Oh and Hawthorn were one of the best sides we've ever seen. They'd have beaten anyone those years.
GF have generally been one sided, only recently have we had a few close ones.

Two pseudo state teams and a very, very good Brisbane team skew the facts somewhat. Add to that three of those non Vic flags were grand finals involving another Non Vic team??????. I just think its funny that there are people in this thread claiming Vic teams dont get an advantage playing the penultimate game in Melbourne when they clearly do. Past two years especially the best team has lost the GF. Bothers me but what can you do.
Standby my first post, it's 8 v 8 Non Vic v Vic. Now the tide has changed the Non Vic clubs don't like it and start suggesting Richmond wasn't the best this year or the Doggies last year but when West Coast won of course they were the best. What can you do?

So you arent up to date with the details of the thread title.

As for other disadvantages or advabtages there are plenty of threada for that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Please outlay the disadvantages GWS face, stop skirting the question and name them.

We've had to set up a new club from scratch in a non-traditional area.
That's no small thing.
And care to state for everyone the concessions given for said startup club please? PS your disadvantage is more of a crowd numbers issue and support rather then a true footballing disadvantage.

2014 doesn't piss me off because we were shite that day, but 2016 annoys me greatly as honestly the umpiring was a disgrace, and part of the reason for that could have easily been the fact the game was at the MCG and the neutrals were all supporting the Bulldogs. The umpiring that day no doubt affected the result.
Lol still beating that drum are we? Give it a spell.

Yeah there were a few s**t calls in the 2016 GF, but you're clutching at very thin straws to suggest that it influenced the end result. What actually did affect the result was when there were ten minutes to go in the match, it was there to be won, one team grabbed it, and the other rolled over. No prizes for guessing which side was which.

In the last 11 years, 10 premierships have been one by Victorian sides with only Sydney with the COLA able to win one.

The non vic clubs often finish top 4 and make the GF but struggle to win. What is holidng them back?

Travel during the year wearing players out?
Playing at the Vic Clubs home ground \ a ground they have played a lot at?
Vocal Crowd?
The inability to bring in players to top up a list, due to limited number of players wanting to come to there state?
Lack of home grown talent on their list, and having to over pay to keep them?

2007 Geelong (7) Port Adelaide 24.19 (163) d. 6.8 (44) Melbourne Cricket Ground 97,302 29 September 2007
2008 Hawthorn (10) Geelong (9) 18.7 (115) d. 11.23 (89) Melbourne Cricket Ground 100,012 27 September 2008
2009 Geelong (8) St Kilda (5) 12.8 (80) d. 9.14 (68) Melbourne Cricket Ground 99,251 26 September 2009
2010 Collingwood(15) St Kilda (6) 9.14 (68) drew 10.8 (68) Melbourne Cricket Ground 100,016 25 September 2010
16.12 (108) d. 7.10 (52) Melbourne Cricket Ground 93,853 2 October 2010
2011 Geelong (9) Collingwood(26) 18.11 (119) d. 12.9 (81) Melbourne Cricket Ground 99,537 1 October 2011
2012 Sydney (5) Hawthorn (6) 14.7 (91) d. 11.15 (81) Melbourne Cricket Ground 99,683 29 September 2012
2013 Hawthorn (11) Fremantle 11.11 (77) d. 8.14 (62) Melbourne Cricket Ground 100,007 28 September 2013
2014 Hawthorn (12) Sydney (11) 21.11 (137) d. 11.8 (74) Melbourne Cricket Ground 99,454 27 September 2014
2015 Hawthorn (13) West Coast(3) 16.11 (107) d. 8.13 (61) Melbourne Cricket Ground 98,633 3 October 2015
2016 Western Bulldogs (2) Sydney (12) 13.11 (89) d. 10.7 (67) Melbourne Cricket Ground 99,981 1 October 2016
2017 Richmond (11) Adelaide 16.12 (108) d. 8.12 (60) Melbourne Cricket Ground 100,021 30 September 2017
11 years previous to that were dominated by non-Vic who had won the previous 6 consecutive flags and 8 of 11.

11 years previous to that were dominated by non-Vic who had won the previous 6 consecutive flags and 8 of 11.
and the Victorians clubs and the AFL went crazy as to why Victorians teams weren't winning, AFL even formed an investigation! Victorians now winning consecutive flag and all the hear from the AFL are crickets... lol

And care to state for everyone the concessions given for said startup club please? PS your disadvantage is more of a crowd numbers issue and support rather then a true footballing disadvantage.
You can research those yourself. If you can't see the challenge in setting up a club, bringing in all the knowledge and skills required to run it, on and off the field, I can't be bothered explaining further.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please outlay the disadvantages GWS face, stop skirting the question and name them.
As for all interstate clubs.

Travel
Only 1 derby
The number 1 reserves and under 18s comp is vic based.
"AFL" media is very pro Vic
GF is held in Melbourne no matter what(not against it being there, doesnt change its a benefit though).
F/S is a very pro Vic benefit(Shouldnt change).

Just a start.

You mean from when we had nothing not even a training paddock or offices?

The start up concessions were needed to, you know, start up the club.

Our only disadvabtage is crowds numbers? Lol What bullshit.

Maybe the issue isnt the alleged grand final disadvantage....maybe its more a case of interstate teams playing way way better at home and being absolute against good sides in Melbourne.

Would love to see stats about interstate side away records vs top 8 Vic sides over the past decade.

Perhaps home ground form for interstate clubs isnt a true indication of how good and 'deserving' they are.

What if those interstate sides having bad days was the result of accumulating 25 weeks of travel?
A team like Adelaide this year had only played something like 2 home games in a month heading into the Grand Final. That is plenty of rest from travel to get up and perform.

You mean from when we had nothing not even a training paddock or offices?

The start up concessions were needed to, you know, start up the club.

Our only disadvabtage is crowds numbers? Lol What bullshit.

Youre under-egging the pudding there. The concessions for the two newest teams were by far the most generous in history and not as you say, to simply start the clubs up.

The initial unprecedented access to talent of the likes never seen before for any other club, on top of ongoing leg-up draft concessions and extra low picks were the afls golden platter getting those two franchises multiples premierships as quickly as possible.

GF have generally been one sided, only recently have we had a few close ones.
But the expectation from Sydney in 14 and 16 and West Coast in 15 was for a far higher standard given their standings. They weren't just filling in the numbers like Melbourne in 2000 or Port in 07.

I think if I spoke to 10 people on the eve of the 14 GF then 9 would have said Sydney would win it.

Since when is a 55 minute flight (often in business class) from Adelaide or Sydney a disadvantage anyway?
Players from Victorian clubs take that long to get to the game (and training) in traffic.
Talk about precious

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back