Opinion Richmond assistant coach Justin Leppitsch has declared the sky is the limit for the Tigers in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Leppa was a big reason we won the flag this year. Dimma and he are close mates and have each others back. When Leppa had some left field ideas about playing only one tall forward and the rest smalls to intensify our forward pressure - Dimma listened because of the respect they have for one another. I love the way our coaches are unified and want to work together to make us the best we can be.

Leppa is also responsible for Rance, Astbury, Grimes and Jacks rise. When he arrived, it was him who taught them how to position themselves to beat their direct opponent and subtly force them under the ball (in the case of the defenders).

I have alot of time for Leppa and Caracella. I feel Dimma couldn't have chosen better Assistant coaches to help him when the chips were down.

Leppitsch doesn't receive enough credit for his input into the flag in my opinion.
Correct. He will one day make it as a senior coach. Just chose the wrong club to go to for his 1st attempt.

He has groomed some stars at our club.

Leppa was a big reason we won the flag this year. Dimma and he are close mates and have each others back. When Leppa had some left field ideas about playing only one tall forward and the rest smalls to intensify our forward pressure - Dimma listened because of the respect they have for one another. I love the way our coaches are unified and want to work together to make us the best we can be.

Leppa is also responsible for Rance, Astbury, Grimes and Jacks rise. When he arrived, it was him who taught them how to position themselves to beat their direct opponent and subtly force them under the ball (in the case of the defenders).

I have alot of time for Leppa and Caracella. I feel Dimma couldn't have chosen better Assistant coaches to help him when the chips were down.
It is also amplifies how big of duds and non co operative wilba and chocco were.

It is also amplifies how big of duds and non co operative wilba and chocco were.

I was always a strong advocate for sacking Hardwick because he made poor selection decisions, we recruited mature age duds, and he didn’t change it up enough as a coach.

But I always liked Hardwick as a person so it was quite conflicting.

After reading about how the assistants consistently put down young players because of what they couldn’t do at the selection table, and therefore choosing to play senior duds instead I know Hardwick isn’t to blame solely for the selection issues.

Dan Richardson took the blame for the mature age recruits.

And the last one was partly Hardwicks poor coaching but I’m guessing he didn’t have the support of his assistants to make the tough decisions.

For example, even if Graham was selected for the GF under the old regime, there is no way they would have moved him to Sloane in the 2nd quarter.

Correct. He will one day make it as a senior coach. Just chose the wrong club to go to for his 1st attempt.

He has groomed some stars at our club.

Sadly, I doubt he will get another shot at it. It's just the way the AFL thinking is. Club boards will simply not take the risk on a one time failed senior coach irrespective of the circumstances. There is far less scrutiny and backlash if you have to sack a new first time coach than having to sack a coach who has previously failed at his only shot another club.

I was always a strong advocate for sacking Hardwick because he made poor selection decisions, we recruited mature age duds, and he didn’t change it up enough as a coach.

But I always liked Hardwick as a person so it was quite conflicting.

After reading about how the assistants consistently put down young players because of what they couldn’t do at the selection table, and therefore choosing to play senior duds instead I know Hardwick isn’t to blame solely for the selection issues.

Dan Richardson took the blame for the mature age recruits.

And the last one was partly Hardwicks poor coaching but I’m guessing he didn’t have the support of his assistants to make the tough decisions.

For example, even if Graham was selected for the GF under the old regime, there is no way they would have moved him to Sloane in the 2nd quarter.

I think two things saved him and one heavily influenced the other. 1. He always had massive support from the playing group. 2. He always had Peggy and Benny in his corner.

reading through yellow & black at the moment and leppa stands out as a really cool, matter-of-fact sort of presence at training and in the coach's box. he's always looking to pump up players when they deserve it, too.

has much been said about why he was made forwards coach considering he was a gun defender? seems like one of those left-field decisions - like having a midfielder chop out in the ruck, or playing a single tall forward - that might have given us an edge over convention?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

reading through yellow & black at the moment and leppa stands out as a really cool, matter-of-fact sort of presence at training and in the coach's box. he's always looking to pump up players when they deserve it, too.

has much been said about why he was made forwards coach considering he was a gun defender? seems like one of those left-field decisions - like having a midfielder chop out in the ruck, or playing a single tall forward - that might have given us an edge over convention?
He was always very talented and looked dangerous when played forward IMO.
I think the fact we already had Truck as coach of our backs doing good job would have influenced the decision not to put Leppa as backs coach.

Because Truck would have to have been shifted out of the backline? I'm sure there would have been discussions about this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back