NEAFL 2017

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bit quiet here. Southport getting ex-saint Murdoch Should help and Redland probably delisted Grewer and Ubergang.

Aspley losing a few I hear. Could be a tough year for the hornets 2018.

2010premier,

Heard this rumour 1/2 way through the year at the Hornets, its a shame but no one took it on board, this could be the start of the NEAFL demise, I am not sure of the players or how many are going but the pantz-ing the Non - AFL local sides are copping against the full reserve list plus academy players have found that most players have got the shits and just want to play locally with their mates and therefor why not at AFLQ level - No more days off to fly to Darwin or afternoons off to fly to Sydney or Canberra. Don't be surprised to see a few Redland's and Southport players playing in the QAFL next year

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
And u thought the non afl sides were ever going to compete when the afl sides had decent teams? The Neafl concept is not going to suit a lot of blokes and as the qafl improved, if not in standard but in popularity, and the same with the division below, it Will be attractive for many blokes. Really Neafl footy should be for guys looking to be drafted.

Ally Craft

Senior List
Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
And u thought the non afl sides were ever going to compete when the afl sides had decent teams? The Neafl concept is not going to suit a lot of blokes and as the qafl improved, if not in standard but in popularity, and the same with the division below, it Will be attractive for many blokes. Really Neafl footy should be for guys looking to be drafted.
ditto Canberra.....Ive heard a few are leaving....note I didnt say retiring!...and havent heard of too many coming in. Hmmmm

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
2010premier,

Heard this rumour 1/2 way through the year at the Hornets, its a shame but no one took it on board, this could be the start of the NEAFL demise, I am not sure of the players or how many are going but the pantz-ing the Non - AFL local sides are copping against the full reserve list plus academy players have found that most players have got the shits and just want to play locally with their mates and therefor why not at AFLQ level - No more days off to fly to Darwin or afternoons off to fly to Sydney or Canberra. Don't be surprised to see a few Redland's and Southport players playing in the QAFL next year
Billy, I don't go along with a lot that you say on here, but I think you have nailed it this time.
NEAFL is really for seriously ambitious players who are willing to sacrifice their time and lifestyle for the chance at AFL glory. Zorko is a case in point.
I suppose that many will have a go then decide that it's too hard (I would too !!), and they are the ones that you and Ally and SMY are talking about as dropping out of the system at the end of this season. But, for all of those, there will be another group stepping up to the plate to have a dip (Hayden Bertolli, Hebron, and Baron-Hayes are examples of that), plus some others trying to get a second chance (O'Brien from Syd Uni).
We all know that the ones who make it to the top in most endeavours are the ones who are the most hungry and dedicated, and there's a sort of Darwinian Law of Natural Selection here.

SMY is right in saying that NEAFL is for those with an eye to the draft, and other tragics who are willing to sacrifice much for the chance to simply play the best footy that is available to them (like Matt Payne and Cameron Illett).

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Billy, I don't go along with a lot that you say on here, but I think you have nailed it this time.
NEAFL is really for seriously ambitious players who are willing to sacrifice their time and lifestyle for the chance at AFL glory. Zorko is a case in point.
I suppose that many will have a go then decide that it's too hard (I would too !!), and they are the ones that you and Ally and SMY are talking about as dropping out of the system at the end of this season. But, for all of those, there will be another group stepping up to the plate to have a dip (Hayden Bertolli, Hebron, and Baron-Hayes are examples of that), plus some others trying to get a second chance (O'Brien from Syd Uni).
We all know that the ones who make it to the top in most endeavours are the ones who are the most hungry and dedicated, and there's a sort of Darwinian Law of Natural Selection here.

SMY is right in saying that NEAFL is for those with an eye to the draft, and other tragics who are willing to sacrifice much for the chance to simply play the best footy that is available to them (like Matt Payne and Cameron Illett).

Justa,

It's great to be thought of that way Ha, ha. Considering that only a handful of NEAFL players even get drafted and rookied each year, it seems that the NEAFL is only part way set up for this - The real need for the NEAFL or something simular is to give the 4 AFL reserve sides a game each week???? The cost of this is enormous considering the AFL would be better having these sides travel to Melbourne (VFL) Adelaide (SANFL) or Perth (WAFL) and play against quality sides that wont get smashed every second week pick any of these 3 comps and put the Northern AFL Reserve sides in, my choice would be the VFL and then have the VFL sides travel to play away - Its not quire an AFL Reserves Comp but it would be fairly close? Surely the money that is spent each week running the NEAFL would be better spent on a concept like this and have the local club NEAFL sides return to their State competitions - If this was adopted then NT may need to join the SANFL Comp?????? It is a total waste of time IMO for full listed AFL Reserve sides with Academy top ups to be beating local NEAFL Club sides by 130 points plus each week!!!!!!!!

I am thinking about revisiting the QAFL next season to watch some quality closer matches and reading the results of the white washers in the NEAFL Comp each week. Once the Local NEAFL sides loose their quality mature age players the young guys coming through to replace them will get slaughtered big time IMO. Cam Illett has retired and Matt Payne I am hearing is heading North to a Sunshine Coast Club (rumour at this stage) so the quality is drying up and there are not too many that can play like these 2 guys in the NEAFL currently.

I don't know what the answer is but an AFL Reserves Competition would go a big way to solving the problem that is about to arise.

Last edited:

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Justa,

It's great to be thought of that way Ha, ha. Considering that only a handful of NEAFL players even get drafted and rookied each year, it seems that the NEAFL is only part way set up for this - The real need for the NEAFL or something simular is to give the 4 AFL reserve sides a game each week???? The cost of this is enormous considering the AFL would be better having these sides travel to Melbourne (VFL) Adelaide (SANFL) or Perth (WAFL) and play against quality sides that wont get smashed every second week pick any of these 3 comps and put the Northern AFL Reserve sides in, my choice would be the VFL and then have the VFL sides travel to play away - Its not quire an AFL Reserves Comp but it would be fairly close? Surely the money that is spent each week running the NEAFL would be better spent on a concept like this and have the local club NEAFL sides return to their State competitions - If this was adopted then NT may need to join the SANFL Comp?????? It is a total waste of time IMO for full listed AFL Reserve sides with Academy top ups to be beating local NEAFL Club sides by 130 points plus each week!!!!!!!!

I am thinking about revisiting the QAFL next season to watch some quality closer matches and reading the results of the white washers in the NEAFL Comp each week. Once the Local NEAFL sides loose their quality mature age players the young guys coming through to replace them will get slaughtered big time IMO. Cam Illett has retired and Matt Payne I am hearing is heading North to a Sunshine Coast Club (rumour at this stage) so the quality is drying up and there are not too many that can play like these 2 guys in the NEAFL currently.

I don't know what the answer is but an AFL Reserves Competition would go a big way to solving the problem that is about to arise.

Hi there Billy Bunter ,,
agree with your comments ,,this NEAFL comp is just not a real comp. Over the past 3 years the QAFL is a growing comp in standard and is a interesting comp come results on a weekly game basis,,,,my club Broadbeach , is experiencing bigger crowds at their home games and this comp is much more attractive and exciting then the NEAFL comp.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hearing a few delisted Swans on their way to Sydney Uni.

Grim,

Great for Sydney Uni, Its good to see they got some value for those scholarships they were rumoured to have dished out, but I fear that they will need at least 3 of them plus, plus and plus, although Uni had a crack last year and good on them IMO by keeping it up to most sides throughout the season, they where shown the requirements and ability needed to compete in the future years when playing in the Final series!!!!!! Not bitter, just twisted - What's the point of being the best non AFL club side in the NEAFL Competition if you cant get into and then compete to win it in the GF??

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah good comp....

Yeah Mate Till Finals Time that is!!!!!

Hornets are rumoured to have lost a few players from what I can gather, but have also gained a few experienced players and some ex draft hopefuls from recent years, with probably a few more after this current draft, all from south of the Border. Apparently the 2 cruxes of Aspley's recruiting drive down South was, Blairy as the Coach - No1 (naturally) and the number of players they, the Club have had drafted to the AFL, since the formation of the NEAFL COMP and RE - Vamped Comps since No - 2. I am not a sales or recruiting Guru, but I don't think there was a mention of the great Flag win in 2014. probably one of the best ever games of footy against adversity and ever likely to be again.

The rumour mill is currently suggesting that some as many as at least 5 x Premiership players and also some other top class big bodied players are moving on from the club (I did hear this half way through this past season and it looks like it is defiantly happening) which, as a Hornets supporter this news is very, very disappointing!!!!!!!

On the once again teasing NEAFL Draw change SMY1305, if your prediction is correct, I think the Non AFL Clubs are hoping to cash in on the maximised non AFL Reserve games being a bit more of a spectacle to watch, rather than the one sided thrashings we got used too last year, but based on last year they, the Non AFL Clubs are all going to struggle big time around Finals Time. Again just another example of the AFL giving the AFL Clubs what they need and nailing more nails into the coffins of the grass roots game here on the North Eastern side of the Country, on a brighter note the Hornets have nearly completed their new extensions and their new viewing area so its going to be a good place to watch the NEAFL from for as long as the comp lasts. Oh well we can always look forward to the women's games if all else fails Ha, ha.

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
BB- are you saying that John Blair has been re-appointed ? I always try to get to games in Sydney or Canberra where he is coaching.

As far as rigging the draw to minimise games between AFL and community clubs...yes, it's ok until finals time as you say. But the up side is that more community clubs have a chance of at least getting a gig in the finals and, as your beloved Hornets showed in 2014, if you in it then you have more chances to win than if you're NOT in it.
Rigging the draw is not the greatest, but it's the least worst of all the options.

Our comp is badly exposed when you realise that success probably comes from recruiting stars from interstate, rather than growing them yourself. The headline NEAFL news in the pre-season is about who has recruited whom from interstate. As you say, the Hornets are trying hard to bring in outsiders who don't have a history of bending bananas - Sydney Uni has built its success so far mostly on recruiting non-NSW players.
Again, it's not great but maybe the local up-and-comers need to be in an environment of greatness so that they develop too.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah Mate Till Finals Time that is!!!!!

Hornets are rumoured to have lost a few players from what I can gather, but have also gained a few experienced players and some ex draft hopefuls from recent years, with probably a few more after this current draft, all from south of the Border. Apparently the 2 cruxes of Aspley's recruiting drive down South was, Blairy as the Coach - No1 (naturally) and the number of players they, the Club have had drafted to the AFL, since the formation of the NEAFL COMP and RE - Vamped Comps since No - 2. I am not a sales or recruiting Guru, but I don't think there was a mention of the great Flag win in 2014. probably one of the best ever games of footy against adversity and ever likely to be again.

The rumour mill is currently suggesting that some as many as at least 5 x Premiership players and also some other top class big bodied players are moving on from the club (I did hear this half way through this past season and it looks like it is defiantly happening) which, as a Hornets supporter this news is very, very disappointing!!!!!!!

On the once again teasing NEAFL Draw change SMY1305, if your prediction is correct, I think the Non AFL Clubs are hoping to cash in on the maximised non AFL Reserve games being a bit more of a spectacle to watch, rather than the one sided thrashings we got used too last year, but based on last year they, the Non AFL Clubs are all going to struggle big time around Finals Time. Again just another example of the AFL giving the AFL Clubs what they need and nailing more nails into the coffins of the grass roots game here on the North Eastern side of the Country, on a brighter note the Hornets have nearly completed their new extensions and their new viewing area so its going to be a good place to watch the NEAFL from for as long as the comp lasts. Oh well we can always look forward to the women's games if all else fails Ha, ha.

Billy Bunter ,Hi there fellow poster ,,, yes, as predicted , player fallout from this comp is really occuring now . Sad to see and this puts so much pressure on the local clubs to go and find suitable recruits ,,,, easier said then done !!
Southport have gone searching in the southern states , Redland very quiet on the recruiting front and even The Thunder have dropped off in the past 2 seasons and with the champion Cam Ilett retiring ( still good for at least 2 more seasons ) and Boof Eweing has had enough , indicating he was serious about moving to the Gold coast and spoke with 3 of the QAFL clubs here, but was talked into staying at The Thunder for one more season...now theres more concern hey !

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not sure its a good comp at all if you play one side 4x and another once! Its a promotional comp, simple. Putting draftable young fellas on display whether U18 or mature age. Its not about the AFL wanting to cash in on anything - not enough money generated at games to create this - but for the AFL clubs to get competitive footy vs other listed players. It is what it is and blokes will play at this level for their own reasons.

The big tip BB is that Oskar Baker is really in line to be drafted as well so a feather in the cap for John Blair and his fellow coaches as well as the young man himself.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Word is he wants to hook up with his brother , and after a coaching role with the Suns ,,,, if that happens ,, and if he wants to play footy ,, one would think Southport is the choice ...

I hear him and Ben Warren are pretty good mates, Aspley might sweeten the deal if they offer him time away for a mid season holiday in Europe, just like they have with many of our required crucial contracted player!!!!!!!!!

pinocchio

Senior List
Apr 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Word is he wants to hook up with his brother , and after a coaching role with the Suns ,,,, if that happens ,, and if he wants to play footy ,, one would think Southport is the choice ...
I think Ben Warren was best man at his wedding!

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
I gather you arent happy BB.. :)

No I am happy, as I am just a supporter. A.S. would be a great get if we could snare him, I just get annoyed at our supposed best paid players, who hold the club and the supporters to ransom by expecting to take a mid season holiday in the U.S. or Europe while the rest of their team mates soldier on holding up the fort.
The NEAFL is supposed to be Second Tier Footy, can you imagine a Player at Port Melbourne in the VFL or a Player at Central Districts in the SANFL asking the same question, If it was granted I am sure they would then play out the rest of the season in the Magoo's on their return. I have heard that someone close to A.S. and probably others have asked the same question of Aspley again this year, if it is granted then IMO the Power's to be need to take a long look at themselves and start making a few examples of these high profile players.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
No I am happy, as I am just a supporter. A.S. would be a great get if we could snare him, I just get annoyed at our supposed best paid players, who hold the club and the supporters to ransom by expecting to take a mid season holiday in the U.S. or Europe while the rest of their team mates soldier on holding up the fort.
The NEAFL is supposed to be Second Tier Footy, can you imagine a Player at Port Melbourne in the VFL or a Player at Central Districts in the SANFL asking the same question, If it was granted I am sure they would then play out the rest of the season in the Magoo's on their return. I have heard that someone close to A.S. and probably others have asked the same question of Aspley again this year, if it is granted then IMO the Power's to be need to take a long look at themselves and start making a few examples of these high profile players.

Would one of these players have been a guy whose in

BB,
I guess one of these players was a bloke with the initials GG , correct ?

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would one of these players have been a guy whose in

BB,
I guess one of these players was a bloke with the initials GG , correct ?

Yes, he went a couple of years ago not for just a week or two but for an equivalent to a Phil Carman head-butting suspension, but he is not the only one, the one going or planning to go (apparently, according to my mail) this year is some one close who should be grateful IMO to the club and his team mates to show better leadership qualities, but who knows, based on the recent years of the revolving holiday door policy, there maybe a few more than one that have the sniff that it is ok to go on a sabbatical through the grunt of the season, while taking good coin for playing each other week!!!!!!!!

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Obviously being rubber stamped by the coaching group then BB if you know this is happening, I'm sure they would. I agree, at this level of footy it does seem weird.

Back