Family & Relationships Parliament -- are you in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lody?
Takk?

Grandmother was polish (and we've traced that lineage back to the 1500s

All other grandparents are aussie born as are parents.

My kids might have an issue as my wife is also polish and they are automatically entitled to polish citizenship
Sando how are ya mate

I'm in. All parents and grandparents born in Australia, 3 of 4 great-grandparents born in Australia. One line arrived in the 1820s or 1830s in the early days of the Swan River Colony. I'm as Perth as pronouncing derby with an 'err' sound and not being able to merge.

I've seen friends jump through hoops either by coming here and trying to gain Australian residency then citizenship or being from here and trying to gain familial EU/UK passports so I find it bemusing that seemingly half our politicians are somehow accidentally dual citizens.

As Aussie as it gets. One side been here for 150 odd years and the other 100,000 odd.

When the 150 year old fights with the hundred thousand year old, do they poison thier food and call them primitive lol

I would, my mum wouldn't. She's got de facto maltese citizenship because her father (my nannu) is a born and bred maltese citizen. I can get it if I apply without issue, but i don't get de facto citizenship and i haven't applied...yet.

Billy Ray born in Perth.
Both parents born in Italy, came over when kids in 1950s.
Both grandparents and great grand parents born in Italy.
Great great (great great?) grandfather was royalty in Venice apparently.

So I think I could be in, but **** that

No, you probably wouldn't be in as your parents were born in another country and that gives you the option to be an Italian citizen too I think, so you would have to 'renounce' it before you stood for parliament. This is the exact problem facing so many pollies right now. How you go about renouncing your citizenship of another country when you haven't actually taken it up I have no idea. Clearly the law needs tightening up to prevent a debacle like this or a lot of people are going to be ineligible for parliament going forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back