U18 Champs AFL Combine 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

20m - 3.10s (av. 3.1s)
Agility - 8.45s (av. 8.5s)
Yo Yo - 21.3 (av. 21.0)
2km - 6min 345sec (av. 6 min 49)

Jumps were pretty average/below average

I love that you provided average times for context.

Would you say that posting roughly average times at a combine will make you a below average athlete at AFL level, where the players who stick around are usually more explosive?

I love that you provided average times for context.

Would you say that posting roughly average times at a combine will make you a below average athlete at AFL level, where the players who stick around are usually more explosive?

I don't read a lot into it - would you rather a player who is a pure footballer (smart, good decision maker) or a player who is an athlete first, footballer second. I'd probably take the pure footballer, but know some clubs like the athletic players.

Some players like James Worpel have had really busy seasons, including in the month prior to the combine - whereas others finished on the 2nd of September type of thing, so had a whole month to prep before combine.

The averages are the overall - so not breaking players into categories of talls/smalls etc. An 8 min 2km time trial from Sam Hayes pulls the average down etc, so for a midfielder it's hard to assess the average.

Averages only tell one story, but I think from seeing players play & getting data from events such as the combine - you can tell which guys will be athletically ok at AFL level. But plenty had question marks on Sean Darcy last year and he's managed to play this year.

Anyone have any state combine results for Liam Ryan, been a bit of talk that his endurance (yo yo) tested better than expected, if he has turned his attitude around he would definitely be worth a punt.

Hey Bishop, would you happen to have a list of the players who didn't test?

Hey Bishop, would you happen to have a list of the players who didn't test?

Some players did some tests, and didn't do others!

But these players did nothing:
Charlie Spargo, Andrew McPherson, Lachie Fogarty, Tim Kelly, Brandan Starcevich, Adam Cerra, Hunter Clark, Charlie Constable, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Cameron Rayner, Brayden Ainsworth, Paddy Dow, Patrick Naish, Tom North, Darcy Fogarty, Callum Coleman-Jones, Brayden Crossley, Tom De Koning.

Some players did some tests, and didn't do others!

But these players did nothing:
Charlie Spargo, Andrew McPherson, Lachie Fogarty, Tim Kelly, Brandan Starcevich, Adam Cerra, Hunter Clark, Charlie Constable, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Cameron Rayner, Brayden Ainsworth, Paddy Dow, Patrick Naish, Tom North, Darcy Fogarty, Callum Coleman-Jones, Brayden Crossley, Tom De Koning.
Thanks for that Bishop. Also, would you happen to have the available results for Ballard, Wooller, Taylor, Clavarino and Walker?

I've been closely following the development of a family friend, Jordan Berry who I coached in Basketball from an early age. He's currently 15 and plays for West Perth. His combine results recently were as follows:

20m: 3.0 sec
Agility: 8.12 sec
SVJ: 79cm
RVJ: 94cm
Yoyo: 20-7

At what age do players tend to reach their peak ability for combine results? I get the feeling he could really smash some records in the next 12 months.

I've been closely following the development of a family friend, Jordan Berry who I coached in Basketball from an early age. He's currently 15 and plays for West Perth. His combine results recently were as follows:

20m: 3.0 sec
Agility: 8.12 sec
SVJ: 79cm
RVJ: 94cm
Yoyo: 20-7

At what age do players tend to reach their peak ability for combine results? I get the feeling he could really smash some records in the next 12 months.
I would hazard to guess after they have been in a professional environment for 12 months or more.

Is he an age group national level sprinter? Imagine what the top sprinters in his age group are doing for the 20m sprint, or what the top endurance runners could do in the yo-yo.

The top USA college basketball kids can jump between 42 inches (106cm) to 44.5 inches (114cm) at the NBA draft combine as 19 year olds in the RNV and 35 to 36.5 inches (92cm) in the SVJ.

I would hazard to guess after they have been in a professional environment for 12 months or more.

Is he an age group national level sprinter? Imagine what the top sprinters in his age group are doing for the 20m sprint, or what the top endurance runners could do in the yo-yo.

The top USA college basketball kids can jump between 42 inches (106cm) to 44.5 inches (114cm) at the NBA draft combine as 19 year olds in the RNV and 35 to 36.5 inches (92cm) in the SVJ.
National 15/16 age sprinters do the 20m in around 2.70 or quicker.
National high jumpers in that age group do the RVJ around the 97 to 102 mark.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back