Sports Who, in your opinion, is the greatest athlete of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Golf-HG-050416-ph04

Tough question
I do know that my greatest sporting moment i have watched is ben johnson’s 100m sprint final (yeh, the drug one) from the camera on the finish line looking back at him running towards the camera.

I know his time has been beaten, and he was on drugs, but something about that race has stuck with me since i watched it as a kid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AB let me down. I never saw him score more than 10 runs. Which probably only ever happened in Australia at the very bloody games I was at.
I remember seeing him get 90 odd not out and everybody hung s**t on Whitney for guiding him to his century because hadn't scored one at that point for nearly a couple of years. That was the game when he cracked the shits because they dropped Geoff Marsh and refused to field on the last morning.

Probably between Bolt and Phelps.

Phelps has 23 Olympic gold medals and 28 medals overall. Given the next best has 9 & 18 that's a phenomenal record.

Bolt doesn't have the same suite of events available to him but the triple 100, 200, 4 x 100 gold trifecta 3 Olympics in a row (now just 8/8 after a DSQ for a relay teammate) is pretty special, and he is to this point the fastest man in history. He was so casually dominant.

Vic Richardson has a pretty amazing CV.
Three time Sturt Premiership player, captain and coach of Sturt, State captain, and Magarey medalist. 19 Tests, 5 as captain, state and international baseball player, represented the state at golf and won a state tennis title.

Anthony Mundine gets criminally underrated for what he's managed. Didn't follow his RL career too much but apparently he was a gun, then turns a pro boxer (after only 4 amateur bouts as a teen) and fights for a world title after 11 or 12 fights I think. He did get knocked out but Ottke was a long time champ in that division, and Mundine was ahead in the bout from memory.

Ellyse Perry being a dual international in cricket and soccer is pretty impressive, you couldn't imagine Steve Smith or Davey Warner playing for the Socceroos.

Probably between Bolt and Phelps.

Phelps has 23 Olympic gold medals and 28 medals overall. Given the next best has 9 & 18 that's a phenomenal record.

Bolt doesn't have the same suite of events available to him but the triple 100, 200, 4 x 100 gold trifecta 3 Olympics in a row (now just 8/8 after a DSQ for a relay teammate) is pretty special, and he is to this point the fastest man in history. He was so casually dominant.

I'd choose Bolt over Phelps since athletics running is far more exciting to watch than swimming, he's also a more entertaining character than any swimmer.

Anthony Mundine gets criminally underrated for what he's managed. Didn't follow his RL career too much but apparently he was a gun, then turns a pro boxer (after only 4 amateur bouts as a teen) and fights for a world title after 11 or 12 fights I think. He did get knocked out but Ottke was a long time champ in that division, and Mundine was ahead in the bout from memory.

He's also a massive plonker who fought plenty of chumps. Loves playing the race card too.

Ellyse Perry being a dual international in cricket and soccer is pretty impressive, you couldn't imagine Steve Smith or Davey Warner playing for the Socceroos.

Yeah but women's soccer and cricket, whoopy doo. The Matildas are killing it and they lost to the Newcastle Jets U/15s.

I'd choose Bolt over Phelps since athletics running is far more exciting to watch than swimming, he's also a more entertaining character than any swimmer.

Bolt is much more charismatic, but that shouldn't be a factor.

Wayde van Niekerk has run sub 10 100m, sub 20 200m and holds the 400m WR. For a guy with one Olympic gold to his name that's pretty amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back