Marriage equality debate - Pt.3 - Australia votes yes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He actually earns my contempt for allowing it to go to a "survey". He reminds me of Bob Carr as premiere, smart enough to know the right thing, but lacking the balls and the wherewithal to implement.
The survey put the spotlight on people in minority groups unnecessarily and lead to the illusion the majority have the right to tell everyone who they can marry. Patently absurd and divisive to me.

I am actually enjoying that they survey gave the opposing minority what they deserve - a long overdue smack down and a reminder that they do not speak for any majority.

And despite the pain and vitriol I think it may have been worth it to unite Australians as opposed to dividing them.

I firmly believe that well and truly more than half of the no vote would shift to yes within the next few months if this all happened again.

This is democracy at work. And no one can ever argue the people never got to speak and/or vote.

My back country hick Tasmanian electorate went 59% Yes, which I guess isn't bad considering that barely 20 years ago homosexual activity was actually illegal in the state and we all seemed to be pretty happy with that.

I sense the realisation from Yes supporters that maybe the old conservatives arent their enemy, but instead the muslims/ immigrants they love so dearly.
Lol, I sense the realisation from the old conservatives that they have much more in common with the muslims/immigrants than they thought.

I went to that page and I couldn't see the electorate breakdowns.

Need to go to the State by State results. They then list the electorates in alphabetical order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The barcode only links to that you returned your survey form, not which way you voted though.

What you personally voted is not recorded anywhere, just whether or not you voted.

Ah, I don't think that's correct.

According to the ABS' quality and integrity statement, the survey was constructed around a simple survey form containing a single question, with straightforward instructions on its completion. Most participants in the survey complied with the instructions, making it easy for the ABS to code responses, with accuracy reviewed by external observers. There were protections against fraud (including the individual bar code on each form) that guaranteed only one response per participant (presumably this wouldn't have stopped one person from completing all the forms sent to an individual household, though).

The ABS wouldn't necessarily know the name of the individual who completed and returned the form, but each form was individually addressed and bar coded, so it would be reasonably straightforward, once the results were coded into the ABS database, to pull out the demographic information of the participants.

Christensen already saying he will abstain, to respect the wishes of his electorate.

So it begins.
He'll abstain because he's a disingenuous coward.

Conservative politicians play their base for the fools they are. That's how they get elected.

Why would anyone expect any different?

I am actually enjoying that they survey gave the opposing minority what they deserve - a long overdue smack down and a reminder that they do not speak for any majority.

And despite the pain and vitriol I think it may have been worth it to unite Australians as opposed to dividing them.

I firmly believe that well and truly more than half of the no vote would shift to yes within the next few months if this all happened again.

This is democracy at work. And no one can ever argue the people never got to speak and/or vote.
Fair enough view,we just differ in the details.
I do get more than a whiff of a plan similar to Howard's to down the Republican movement though. Look for delays and the promotion of conflict and confusion around details and amendments to multiple bills introduced to Parliament.
When was announced it would be a private members bill if the surveywas yes, in a party that says it doesn't require it's MP'sto follow the party line,it started to smell to me.

He'll abstain because he's a disingenuous coward.

Conservative politicians play their base for the fools they are. That's how they get elected.

Why would anyone expect any different?

This will get up if the ABC poll of pollies is accurate, no surprises to those that think it is complicated and haven't indicated how they will vote. Once it finally gets to a vote and the nitpicking over details is over.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-...survey-says-yes-how-will-your-mp-vote/9104112

George Christensen said he will vote with his electorate - well that is a Yes George!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back