Marriage equality debate - Pt.3 - Australia votes yes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the left are the true defenders of liberty and freedom of speech?

Yes, we support Muslims and their beliefs even if it is opposed to a typical left wing belief. I thought this is something the right wing would champion...

A great day for a better Australia today. Particular congratulations to all the LGBT posters that this means so much more for.

In broader political implications, it's pretty hard to argue with the implications of the survey. NSW has made itself the most reactionary state in the Commonwealth via its immigration program. For a long time people have been blaming the Christian takeover of the NSW LNP on shadowy affiliate organisations like Opus Dei and The Brethren but this vote goes to show that there's a strong grassroots component to it in NSW. A losing coalition mind you, but a not insignificant one.

From the AFR via Twitter:

DOohSrGW0AAQ-7r.jpg:large

I wonder what the political parties will make of this given the margins they hold the seats by?
I think the interesting one is Qld holds the seat by huge majority but very close vote on SSM. Country folks have done us proud.

2017-11-15_124306.jpg

You’re either a boring troll or a limited thinking racist bigot.

See, I can make sweeping statements too.

You gonna call Anthony Green a racist bigot too?

Congrats to Yes. If a majority want the government to be more involved in their bedrooms and personal relationships rather than less, so be it.

Sorry, unclean is the term rather than abomination.

Still pretty clear you shouldn't be eating any if you're basing opposition to SSM on the bible.

The laws of the Bible only apply to Jews. Non-Jews are only obligated to follow the seven Noahide laws. They have no obligation to follow the other laws, and are actually discouraged from doing so.

Further, in practice, the punishments mentioned in the Bible for violating its laws were rarely carried out. The 'punishments' are largely spiritual, i.e. if you do something bad, you will have to deal with the consequences of your actions (personal responsibility).

Probably why the religious argument against SSM failed - my understanding is that the Noahide laws only prohibit 'sexual immorality'. I am no expert but I would suggest that this prohibition wouldn't apply to same sex couples in committed relationships.

Any idea how many Catholics, Jews, Buddhists, Orthodox or other religions voted yes or no?
I don't therefore don't see why one religion is brought into this discussion, maybe that is what some of the so called 'left' don't like reading about.
The jewish vote is quite easy to work out given in melbourne at least many live in melbourne ports and goldstein vote 82 and 79% yes.

In sydney the muslim hillsong labor seats voted no.

Liberal voters tend to be more open minded.

You gonna call Anthony Green a racist bigot too?

Congrats to Yes. If a majority want the government to be more involved in their bedrooms and personal relationships rather than less, so be it.

Wooooooooosh.

This was the original post I quoted

I sense the realisation from Yes supporters that maybe the old conservatives arent their enemy, but instead the muslims/ immigrants they love so dearly.

This poster has insinuated

1. People voted Yes didn’t respect those that voted no.

2. Either poorly articulated their post or insinuated that people the voted Yes that ‘muslims/immigrants’ are the enemy, and further that felt the need to separate them. Made no mention of electorates.

If people feel the need to vote along with their religion, that’s their prerogative, I don’t lump them with those of extreme/wrong views and their religion, they’re the biggest hypocrites of all. They are exactly what they make blanket statements about.

That conservative thread is a perfect example.

“Let us say and do what we want, .......but don’t dare question us”

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The worst thing that could happen for the ALP next election would be an anti-SSM group to field a team in Western Sydney.

Even splitting the vote would cost the seat.

Where's the vote going to though? The LNP was split over the issue and half of their male parliamentarians are gay.

The laws of the Bible only apply to Jews. Non-Jews are only obligated to follow the seven Noahide laws. They have no obligation to follow the other laws, and are actually discouraged from doing so.

Further, in practice, the punishments mentioned in the Bible for violating its laws were rarely carried out. The 'punishments' are largely spiritual, i.e. if you do something bad, you will have to deal with the consequences of your actions (personal responsibility).

Probably why the religious argument against SSM failed - my understanding is that the Noahide laws only prohibit 'sexual immorality'. I am no expert but I would suggest that this prohibition wouldn't apply to same sex couples in committed relationships.

Wow so unless you're Jewish you have no leg whatsover to stand on if you're a No voter citing the bible.

Geez I reckon there would be some very surprised bible thumpers out there lol

Sorry what race is Muslim?
Grow up. It was a bigoted thing to say. The 'What race is Muslim' is a tired red herring designed to shut down a debate because you agree with the premise of being a bigot, you just don't have the courage to say you are.

So are you?

A bigot I mean.

Grow up. It was a bigoted thing to say. The 'What race is Muslim' is a tired red herring designed to shut down a debate because you agree with the premise of being a bigot, you just don't have the courage to say you are.

So are you?

A bigot I mean.
Theres only one side intent on shutting down debate over Islams views on ssm.

I wonder what the political parties will make of this given the margins they hold the seats by?
I think the interesting one is Qld holds the seat by huge majority but very close vote on SSM. Country folks have done us proud.

I doubt we're going to see a realignment based on gay marriage given it's not the major priority for many voters. The wets are still going to vote for the economics of the coalition and the conservative working class is still going to focus on medicare/education.

The reason why Trump was able to realign politics is because there was a backlash against establishment types and he focused on economic issues like trade. As long as Labour sticks to its economic policies it should do alright in the poorer western suburbs.

What’s Putin playing at? Clearly, this result is a disguise. Those Russians can’t stop ******* with our heads.

Get back to the Trump thread lol

You don't happen to wear high-vis clothes and have a particular dislike for Sam Dastyari, do you?

Dastyari's a flog and dislike him for his position on issues and not his race.

So are you?

A bigot I mean.
If you were a grown up you could work out that Islam isn't a race. I'm not shutting down debate, I am calling him out on his factually incorrect statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back