Phantom Draft Snoop Dog 2017 Phantom Draft (incl Rookie)

Remove this Banner Ad

Great work...I reckon that Nick Hogan, Bailey Morrish and Darby Henderson are rookies and will be looked at. If Cassidy Parish isn't taken in the main then he is definite rookie too

Yeah some of those will feature in the unlucky list. Big Morrish fan and dont mind Darby but just think there are a few ahead of Nick. What do you think of Drew and Leslie from Power?

Yeah some of those will feature in the unlucky list. Big Morrish fan and dont mind Darby but just think there are a few ahead of Nick. What do you think of Drew and Leslie from Power?

Morrish surely gets picked up. Darby averaged 30 a game and should be rookied. Nick has been good at times. Both Drew and Leslie have attributes. I'd rather go with these guys that recycled guys that have been on a list previously.

the GWS blokes want / need a small forward and thats pretty well known so Higgins is going to be close but I think if they can convince themselves a Spargo is there at late 20's then it gives them the scope to take a different type at #11. I think Richards will appeal to Adrian and the team and they arent afraid to pick blokes early than group think. Only issue I have on Richards is do they see him as similar to Isaac C and Harry P. They also have Kennedy back this year so for mine it would be on the basis they see him playing higher which I think he can and he showed on GF day in the All Star game.

Who do you think the Academy kids will be?
The only Academy kids I'd match in the ND are Shipley and Powell, Shipley at 20+ and Powell at 40+. I hope we also take Doulton Langlands and Nathan Richards in the RD

What was the rationale for:
View attachment 437538

Small Forwards is one thing Richmond do not have a shortage of
I think it depends on the situation. The tigers may be thinking that they want Balta but are very confident he wouldn't be picked before our pick 20, but there is no way Higgins would last to there. In that case we get a bargain and a tall for our need at 20.

If it's a case of none of the talls we want won't be available at pick 20, then we may use pick 16 for them rather than a slider like Higgins.

Yeah I probably just had the thinking that they need some long term support for Martin / Smith etc as not sold on Oscar M and also that with Schache and Close gone someone who can also play deep forward would appeal. Post that selection there wasnt going to be many left and is a pretty good mix with Hipwood. I am a fan of Hayes I think he will be a terrific player he has just been marked down on his endurance but he will get there.

Surely Ballenden even if not of the same quality could play the same role as Hayes. I don't think Ballenden will have the agility to play as a key back long term, especially for us as we already have Andrews locked in and you wouldn't want two super tall but not quick key backs, so you'd draft him a forward/second ruck.

Morrish surely gets picked up. Darby averaged 30 a game and should be rookied. Nick has been good at times. Both Drew and Leslie have attributes. I'd rather go with these guys that recycled guys that have been on a list previously.

How much improvement do you reckon Morrish had this year?

The only Academy kids I'd match in the ND are Shipley and Powell, Shipley at 20+ and Powell at 40+. I hope we also take Doulton Langlands and Nathan Richards in the RD

Yeah they were the 4 i picked - i left out Myers but I think they may take him as well. Richards just not sure mobile enough. I think Powell more a rookie.

Surely Ballenden even if not of the same quality could play the same role as Hayes. I don't think Ballenden will have the agility to play as a key back long term, especially for us as we already have Andrews locked in and you wouldn't want two super tall but not quick key backs, so you'd draft him a forward/second ruck.

I have watched enough of Ballenden to suggest he is a long way off being a key forward. For mine he just looks so good at CHB where he reads it superbly. Not ideal given the others you have but there is no way you dont match and would think a bid is coming around 20 or so. The knock on Connor is that he goes missing and needs to be more physical so that may push him back.

We will see.

Absolutely - in the end I just went with best available for the Tigers but in previous editions had Brander and Hayes there. There are a lot of good mid types later.

What would you like to see them do.

Really hope no bid on Naish comes in till pick 25.I like Balta at 17 and maybe a Taylor at 20 and then Naish at 25.I think at picks in 50 we might get a running player and a project KP player.I really like the kids Ben Miller and Clarvarino if things don't pan out.

Agree with you on Hugh Dixion looks like a natural footballer.Nathan Krueger is a interesting one to has shown flashes just needs more development.

I have watched enough of Ballenden to suggest he is a long way off being a key forward. For mine he just looks so good at CHB where he reads it superbly. Not ideal given the others you have but there is no way you dont match and would think a bid is coming around 20 or so. The knock on Connor is that he goes missing and needs to be more physical so that may push him back.

We will see.

I wouldn't pass on Ballenden if bid on after 18 but it would effect who I draft with the earlier picks, especially 18 if Ballenden is still available. Ballenden also looked quite good forward at NEAFL level which is probably why we delisted Freeman, Close and Hammelmann.

I worry Andrews isn't agile enough to push his game to the next level and pairing him with another less agile key back would be a shocking move.

So I'd definitely match a bid on Ballenden and develop him as a forward/second ruck and wouldn't draft another who plays a similar position.

Ok I will go back and check but thought they had 5 selections in the National Draft to take them to 40 and then 1 rookie spot free.

Yeah Melbourne wasnt easy to be honest. I hear a lot about the list not being balanced but I think its actually quite good. I did think someone with some real speed was a must and also a big target forward / ruck.

Stoddardt was just to good to let drop any further and Ross as well is a very agile / mobile type to work with. Petrucelle has real speed as we all know and the three play across different areas of the ground so thought that addressed the only real issue I can see and to do it with three picks in the 30's after getting Lever and Balic played out well.

For the forward piece I think CCJ was perfect and he is one of the best marks in the league but his kicking is a bit off and hence why I had him dropping but it is effective (or more than he gets credit for). Also was the best player left.

In terms of the defensive piece that is why I took Mihocek in the Rookie. He could fill in if blokes McDonald boys, Lever, Frost etc fell over.

Point taken on the small forward but where is JKH, Johnstone and Dean Kent at?
Main list is at 36 after Joel Smith gets promoted to the senior list. Rookie list is at 4 after Maynard got promoted to Cat A rookie along with T. Smith, Keilty and Filipovic. Cat B is empty.

JKH is really a midfielder/half forward player. He isn't a pressure forward. He's most similar to Kane Lambert or Caleb Daniel, sadly he dominates VFL but gets intimidated at makes errors at AFL level. Kent isn't a great pressure player either and really pace in open space is his best footy, like a Steve Motlop. Both need to do more to get back in the side because Neal-Bullen and Melksham are fitter, stronger and more reliable half forwards, even if they are a little vanilla.

Johnstone had a good first year but it's only him and Garlett - who has a year or two left of regular AFL footy IMO - for pressure crumbers. Guys like Harmes, Vanderberg and Hannan can be more of that medium marking forward pressure type. If we want to emulate the Tigers 3 amigo's set up it's best to draft another guy in.

Outside mid, small forward and then probably a utility tall who can play forward, back or back up ruck would be my ideal needs based draft - any 18 year old Cam Pedersen's available?

Yeah that is fair and I probably struggled with going tall defender but with McGovern and Barass there and having taken Rotham as well last year I thought they may hold off. Also with Yeo as well (I know he can play mid) I thought with the modern defense they are set with 3-4 elite players for a while.

JK is turning 30, I think there are questions around Darling and frankly dont see much else in the cupboard for them forward. For mine with the picks they have they should use that first one to get the best key forward in the draft. Quality key forwards are very rare outside of the top 15-20 so I would take him there and fix the mids later.

Monocle interested in your view.
Thanks Snoop, always have appreciated your work and analysis.

I think that most supporters problem with regards to Allen is that we feel like with have quite a few of those smaller tall forward types already in Waterman, M Allen and Darling. There is also some expectation that Lamb will be re-rookied not that many of us have high hopes for him.

We have lost Priddis and Mitchell from the midfield this year without any real replacements ready unless Venables becomes what we hope he is after a preseason. As such I guess most of us are hoping for an inside midfielder to replace those that we have lost or a small forward to rectify a long standing issue for us. Given what was available from your available selections most people's preference would be to go for Constable or Higgins here. I would be interested to know similar to Ryan if you had heard any whispers for this pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Powell is one of the better kicks in this years draft. To many people worry about speed and ofter speedy players dont get the pill enough. Just take a look at Powells kicks against SA and he hits the 45 inside all day. Players like that are gold and open the game up by foot.
Should be top 40 his stats are exactly the same as Shipley in the nationals and kicks goals from midfield.

I can't say that I am all that thrilled with your draft for the Eagles. Allen (again !) in a position that the Eagles already have covered and a bunch of utilities early who may, or may not be able to play in the midfield when many people are saying that the Eagles need midfielders, especially inside midfielders.

Couldn't agree more, if this was our draft haul I'd be massively disappointed.

Allen at 13, when Higgins is still on the board. Higgins is exactly what we need and could play rd 1 as a small fwd. There's a small chance Allen could slip to 21 where I'd be happy to take.

Kelly at 21, I'm sorry but I'm not a huge fan. 23 and had one stellar year. If Fogarty was still on the board this would kill me. If we got Kelly at pick 37 that would be ok, no higher for me. If he's gone by then so be it.

Ling is HBF, we do not need anymore.

Ballard is overrated for me, lanky and would be 3 years off a debut. From memory Worpel still on board!!!

Starcevich good pick.

Not having a go, all just my opinion based on needs and talent that was left.

No. That would be in the old system. Now picks don’t need to be used to upgrade rookies. If you will look on our board, somewhere, you will see it all worked out.

I think you are confused. Either that or I am.
In the old draft system the clubs were required to say eg “pick 77 rookie upgrade: Greenwood.”

Now that is organised beforehand and the two draft picks are removed from the draft board, but the rookie upgrades still happen, in the same way.

In other words, you have 4 picks, but 2 have already been allocated to rookie upgrades, so a Phantom draft needs only mention 2.

Great job Snoop.

Like Davies-Uniacke and Constable but I can't see us taking Hayes at 18 with Lachlan Fogarty, Lochie O'Brien and Zac Bailey still on the board.

Would like Sambono over Daniels.
Pretty sure LDU wont go pick one do Ur maths. tell me what player went number one and was not all Australian. that is the reason he wont go No 1 watch this space Holmes.

Pretty sure LDU wont go pick one do Ur maths. tell me what player went number one and was not all Australian. that is the reason he wont go No 1 watch this space Holmes.
I'd be happy with any one of Davies-Uniacke, Rayner, Dow, Brayshaw or Stephenson. Who's your tip for number 1? Did you have a go at the top 10 on this board?

I'd be happy with any one of Davies-Uniacke, Rayner, Dow, Brayshaw or Stephenson. Who's your tip for number 1? Did you have a go at the top 10 on this board?
Rayner will be the No1. jack Higgins is so underrated should be in the top ten. i guess in the last few days of the draft you will hear plenty about this super gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back