Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2017 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree. He makes all his team mates look better, and doesn’t waste possessions. The four you have named may be sexier to the onlooker, but that doesn’t mean they’re any more valuable to the team.

You love “weapons” and “hurt factor”. Brayshaw definitely has them, you just need to watch more closely to see them.
HedgeFund I rate your opinions highly. Much more knowledgable and real than the "experts".

Knightmare, these rumours that Stephenson could be a draft slider due to a heart irregularity.

From your contacts is there foundation and if so any chance he gets to GWS at Pick 11?
Doubt it, hasn't affected him yet and doctors have said it shouldn't

Disagree. He makes all his team mates look better, and doesn’t waste possessions. The four you have named may be sexier to the onlooker, but that doesn’t mean they’re any more valuable to the team.

You love “weapons” and “hurt factor”. Brayshaw definitely has them, you just need to watch more closely to see them.
Anyone you can liken him to in that regard?

Yeah I'm with you on this. I think his stock isn't being helped by people looking at him and thinking he'll be his brother, I know he's had injuies but Angus has yet to put together a game where he looks exciting. Tough and committed, yes but not that much x-factor yet. It'll come for Angus and it'll come for Andrew.

That said, I don't think he'll have the size or strength to become a Martin/Dangerfield weapon, good inside and outside and can push forward. That's what I'd be looking for.

Rayner isn't one you hope on. He is clear AFL quality. It's just if you're to see him play primary as a midfielder his endurance will need to improve. He can still play midfield minutes next year. He's very impactful through through, maybe more so than any other in this draft when he gets his chance.

Clubs see physically built without tricks as having low upside.

Time has told us that this isn't the case, but few go into the draft seeking players with inconsistent skills who are only really effective as midfielders.

Jack Graham being last years example is one who should have gone earlier. Worpel may be another who clubs underrate for much the same reasons.

Dixon is a late/rookie draft chance but no certainty. Clubs may, but I don't personally care about athletic testing. He has football smarts and plays an unselfish game which I quite like, but he's more a late/rookie choice.

With KPPs clubs have to fall in love with them outside of the first or second round, as few, particularly key forwards make the grade and clubs will hold off on drafting them unless they're of the highest quality.

It is one thing that certainly amuses me with Dixon and other "key Forwards, key backs and midfielders". Everyone is so quick to pigeon hole everyone. Surely the clubs look at these young players, their skills, where they have played etc, and consider that just maybe they can play in more than one position. Dixon a now a key foward and only a key forward. Last year he was a key back and only a key back. I heard at club level he is a key onballer and the vision and highlights reflects that. Plenty of players like that in this draft, and very risky making big calls without real justification.

Those are some names that go back a long way.

Balta is 11cm taller than Waterhouse, so that's a hard comparison to feel comfortable with. Fraser Gehrig was a different player again, real powerhouse and physical beast.

I'll stick with the Waite comparison. But there are elements of so many. He has some Buddy with some of the freakishness at ground level and movement. He has some Sam Frost with his acceleration from defence.

Waite overall is the closer mish-mash of a comparison to Balta.

Changes are daily this time of year! So much draft rumours and news daily.

I'm working more closely off of rumours as to who West Coast are considering with their various picks.

WCE's first pick is no certainty to be a midfielder depending on who is available.

This is exactly why we need a different system for the bottom 8 teams in terms of picks.

Most supporters would want there team to lose the last game of the year if it meant getting pick 1 as oppose to pick 4.

Just happens to be that this year there is no standout.

Is Rankine that good teams will tank next year?

Is Rankine that good teams will tank next year?

If it got to the last round or two and he was still as good as he is now then maybe. North might have tanked the last game if Rankine was eligible this year. Chances are that Rankine won’t be as unbelievably good this time next year - there’s always a lot of premature hype for the next year’s best talent. Rankine is pretty awesome but there are others also at his level or close to it - he’s not so much of a standout that teams will sacrifice their season for.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If it got to the last round or two and he was still as good as he is now then maybe. North might have tanked the last game if Rankine was eligible this year. Chances are that Rankine won’t be as unbelievably good this time next year - there’s always a lot of premature hype for the next year’s best talent. Rankine is pretty awesome but there are others also at his level or close to it - he’s not so much of a standout that teams will sacrifice their season for.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think I've ever seen a player with more evasive ability

maybe Mcleod?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think I've ever seen a player with more evasive ability

maybe Mcleod?

Yeh, i think he looks like McLeod too. Super clean and super smooth and can seriously cover grass.

But, we see these 17y.o stars not always take it to the next level in their draft year.

Next year being talked up as a super-draft, it'll be interesting to see which of the current hyped under-agers (rankine, king, lukosius, walsh, hill etc) continue to develop and step up next year.

Rankine reminds me of gresham but 10x better. He's special but don't sleep on Walsh from country and the geelong falcons. Seen him play four times this year and still yet to see him make a bad decision. Combine that with his 16+ beep and that kid has A+ written all over him. Not as prodigiously talented as rankine but honest as the day is long.

When I talk weapons and hurt factor. I'm talking about guys who can take over games and you can feel their influence. Dangerfield and Dusty are two key examples in the game at the moment. High proportion contested ballers who hurt the opposition with ball in hand and have ways to tear you apart.

None of your assessment of what Brayshaw does is incorrect, only your conclusion.

He hits his targets, lowers his eyes and makes sound decisions. He's just not kicking it 60m, breaking the lines or dominating guys 1v1 in the goal square at ground level, aerially or with his strength 1v1 when isolated. He doesn't have those weapons. Those are weapons. Brayshaw doesn't have that.

Like with his brother Angus, Andrew projects to be good, but there isn't any one thing he's special at.

Good lord that's bad, especially from Rayner.
Lapped by John Worsfold i hear.
Do you think that'll impact their draft positions Knightmare or are clubs already aware of the extent of these deficiencies?
Clubs would have known these weaknesses a long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back