Phantom Draft Snoop Dog 2017 Phantom Draft (incl Rookie)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you are confused. Either that or I am.
In the old draft system the clubs were required to say eg “pick 77 rookie upgrade: Greenwood.”

Now that is organised beforehand and the two draft picks are removed from the draft board, but the rookie upgrades still happen, in the same way.

In other words, you have 4 picks, but 2 have already been allocated to rookie upgrades, so a Phantom draft needs only mention 2.

Adelaide had 39 on the list this year
less
7 off Thompson, Menzel, Ellis-Yolmen, Gore (delisted or retired) Lever, Cameron, Wigg (traded)
plus
2 in Gibbs, Gibson
2 rookie upgrades Greenwood & Keath
= 36 currently listed
= 4 draft picks (although it is expected pick 108 will be passed and will go in 2018 with 39 again)

Allen doesn't make much sense for the eagles but this might be a "no flight risks" draft, given the number of kids, especially Victorian kids pushing for a trade back home. So in that sense it makes sense, as Allen is unlikely to demand a trade interstate in a few years time. No point drafting good pieces if they leave after a few years.

Great to see Nathan Kreuger get a mention Snoop Dog . I've seen a lot of him at Noarlunga and while his attributes are obvious, he struggled a little in 2017 with both injury- and never being given a stable position. South Adelaide played a very small forward line for most of the season, which meant Kreuger was often on a flank, the wing, in the middle, or down back. He played a "Mr Fix-it" type role which did little to help his stock but saw the Panthers have a very good season, until the finals.

I actually see his best position as an inside midfielder. He has an elite first two steps and his wing-span is enormous, meaning he can get to the ball very quickly and dispose to an outside player. I just don't think he has the strength or attributes to play as a tall forward. The package below is very interesting. Souths were well on top in this game, but I thought Kreuger showed a glimpse of his athletic ability as an inside midfielder- and his tackling is also very good.

Thanks again for a fantastic write-up.

Rayner will be the No1. jack Higgins is so underrated should be in the top ten. i guess in the last few days of the draft you will hear plenty about this super gun.
He's got a certain something about him that just screams 'talented natural footballer slips because they aren't over 182cm and run 20m under 3 seconds but then he proves everyone wrong'. I don't see him slipping as far as a Sam Mitchell, Lachie Neale, or Caleb Daniel but I think there will be a couple clubs kicking themselves for years after taking someone a little taller and a little faster but with no football brain before Higgins.

He's got a certain something about him that just screams 'talented natural footballer slips because they aren't over 182cm and run 20m under 3 seconds but then he proves everyone wrong'. I don't see him slipping as far as a Sam Mitchell, Lachie Neale, or Caleb Daniel but I think there will be a couple clubs kicking themselves for years after taking someone a little taller and a little faster but with no football brain before Higgins.
Agree.

Thanks Snoop, always have appreciated your work and analysis.

I think that most supporters problem with regards to Allen is that we feel like with have quite a few of those smaller tall forward types already in Waterman, M Allen and Darling. There is also some expectation that Lamb will be re-rookied not that many of us have high hopes for him.

We have lost Priddis and Mitchell from the midfield this year without any real replacements ready unless Venables becomes what we hope he is after a preseason. As such I guess most of us are hoping for an inside midfielder to replace those that we have lost or a small forward to rectify a long standing issue for us. Given what was available from your available selections most people's preference would be to go for Constable or Higgins here. I would be interested to know similar to Ryan if you had heard any whispers for this pick.

Yep reckon that very plausible. I guess there are a couple of needs there and it’s whether the midfielders can be grabbed with the picks in the 20’s. Constable would be a really good fit.

Re Ryan I will know more next week but my understanding is very likely to be in Perth as has a partner there and Keen to stay. Some similarities with Nathan Wilson in that they are from Perth, partner keen to do be their, kids all that stuff. Freo are kind of sorted with Matera coming in so whilst they may get him I think Wce more likely.

Really hope no bid on Naish comes in till pick 25.I like Balta at 17 and maybe a Taylor at 20 and then Naish at 25.I think at picks in 50 we might get a running player and a project KP player.I really like the kids Ben Miller and Clarvarino if things don't pan out.

Agree with you on Hugh Dixion looks like a natural footballer.Nathan Krueger is a interesting one to has shown flashes just needs more development.

That would be a nice haul and there is a chance the bid on Naish comes late than I think but if I had to bet I would say no. Nathan K best moments are as good as anyone in the top 15 for mine but as you the consistency and whether he will be able to produce. Interesting another poster reflected his ability as an inside mid. Thats interesting bc if he does show form lines at that level he is a more interesting prospect again.

I wouldn't pass on Ballenden if bid on after 18 but it would effect who I draft with the earlier picks, especially 18 if Ballenden is still available. Ballenden also looked quite good forward at NEAFL level which is probably why we delisted Freeman, Close and Hammelmann.

I worry Andrews isn't agile enough to push his game to the next level and pairing him with another less agile key back would be a shocking move.

So I'd definitely match a bid on Ballenden and develop him as a forward/second ruck and wouldn't draft another who plays a similar position.

I know the guys at the AFL Academy thinking he is a back at least to start but look he has so much scope for mine. I am really bullish on him. I always my doubts on Matt H, Close for mine was always better behind the ball and Freeman is a real shame as his best footy looked to be good enough didn't it.

Main list is at 36 after Joel Smith gets promoted to the senior list. Rookie list is at 4 after Maynard got promoted to Cat A rookie along with T. Smith, Keilty and Filipovic. Cat B is empty.

JKH is really a midfielder/half forward player. He isn't a pressure forward. He's most similar to Kane Lambert or Caleb Daniel, sadly he dominates VFL but gets intimidated at makes errors at AFL level. Kent isn't a great pressure player either and really pace in open space is his best footy, like a Steve Motlop. Both need to do more to get back in the side because Neal-Bullen and Melksham are fitter, stronger and more reliable half forwards, even if they are a little vanilla.

Johnstone had a good first year but it's only him and Garlett - who has a year or two left of regular AFL footy IMO - for pressure crumbers. Guys like Harmes, Vanderberg and Hannan can be more of that medium marking forward pressure type. If we want to emulate the Tigers 3 amigo's set up it's best to draft another guy in.

Outside mid, small forward and then probably a utility tall who can play forward, back or back up ruck would be my ideal needs based draft - any 18 year old Cam Pedersen's available?

If thinking that (and in that order) with those picks I would think something like;

# 30 - Jack Petrucelle is your guy based on who is left as the outside mid with speed. Stoddardt fits the bill as an outside mid as well. More back at the moment but he will push up I reckon. Ballard would be another.

# 32 - As a pressure small forward I wouldn't go one here unless Spargo was on the board as you would be looking at Daniels for mine and I think its a slight reach for him at this point. Many will say Miers but he isn't overly quick but he is a small forward / very dangerous / knows how to kick one but has deficiencies which may get exposed at a higher level.

# 37 - Maybe you hit CCJ here if looking for a Forward / back up ruck. One of the best marks going around. Kicking not so good.

# 47 - If you want tall utility here who can play both ends I would look at Jordan Butts. Youngest kid in the draft and a fantastic mark of the ball and can play both ends.

Powell is one of the better kicks in this years draft. To many people worry about speed and ofter speedy players dont get the pill enough. Just take a look at Powells kicks against SA and he hits the 45 inside all day. Players like that are gold and open the game up by foot.
Should be top 40 his stats are exactly the same as Shipley in the nationals and kicks goals from midfield.

Equally been lots of blokes who are slow but find a heap of the footy who don't make it.

I have seen Powell a bit and I know his talents but I just think he will make it through to the rookie list. What is your view on Brendan Myers. I struggled leaving him out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide had 39 on the list this year
less
7 off Thompson, Menzel, Ellis-Yolmen, Gore (delisted or retired) Lever, Cameron, Wigg (traded)
plus
2 in Gibbs, Gibson
2 rookie upgrades Greenwood & Keath
= 36 currently listed
= 4 draft picks (although it is expected pick 108 will be passed and will go in 2018 with 39 again)

yeah I think from memory I had them going with a list of 38 / 39. The mail is they won't use more than 2 picks.

Allen doesn't make much sense for the eagles but this might be a "no flight risks" draft, given the number of kids, especially Victorian kids pushing for a trade back home. So in that sense it makes sense, as Allen is unlikely to demand a trade interstate in a few years time. No point drafting good pieces if they leave after a few years.

Its always interesting do you you draft on needs or best player. Clubs say they take the best talent with their first. If Eagles do that I think go Allen. If not based on who I had left go Higgins or Constable.

Great to see Nathan Kreuger get a mention Snoop Dog . I've seen a lot of him at Noarlunga and while his attributes are obvious, he struggled a little in 2017 with both injury- and never being given a stable position. South Adelaide played a very small forward line for most of the season, which meant Kreuger was often on a flank, the wing, in the middle, or down back. He played a "Mr Fix-it" type role which did little to help his stock but saw the Panthers have a very good season, until the finals.

I actually see his best position as an inside midfielder. He has an elite first two steps and his wing-span is enormous, meaning he can get to the ball very quickly and dispose to an outside player. I just don't think he has the strength or attributes to play as a tall forward. The package below is very interesting. Souths were well on top in this game, but I thought Kreuger showed a glimpse of his athletic ability as an inside midfielder- and his tackling is also very good.

Thanks again for a fantastic write-up.

Thats interesting isn't it and certainly validates what you are saying. What impresses me in that is his hands, decision making and 2nd efforts. His hands are very good. Very assured. If he could go into the middle then thats really appealing.

Clubs are going to be wary of Jack's speed results. What I think he has going for him though that a lot don't mention is his ability to go into the middle. Everyone pidgeons him as a HF. He could go into the middle and easily become a Sam Mitchell sort of player. He has the smarts.

Massive effort Snoop and thanks all round.

I feel you are pretty well on the money in most parts.

I will say from an Eagles perspective I hope they dont pick Kelly with both L Fogerty and O'Brien still available.

Fogarty at 21-23 would be great. Swap Ling for Kelly at 26.

Also dont understand so many going Oscar Allen at 13. Not a mid and not a true kp. Darling, Waterman and Oscar very similar players.

Which of the Eagles' Victorian kids have pushed for a trade? We have a good record in that regard. Net gains in interstate players far exceed net losses so not an issue for us imo.

Allen is purported to be on the radar as a potential 'big bodied', 'inside bull', 'non-vanilla', 'goalkicking', '<insert catchphrase>' mid.

Eagles dont lose players like other interstate teams do.

Also they have Darling 25 and Waterman 20 yrs old who are very similar types to Oscar and both WA locals.

So your logic is flawed re go home factor here.

Which of the Eagles' Victorian kids have pushed for a trade? We have a good record in that regard. Net gains in interstate players far exceed net losses so not an issue for us imo.

Allen is purported to be on the radar as a potential 'big bodied', 'inside bull', 'non-vanilla', 'goalkicking', '<insert catchphrase>' mid.

Brisbane were pretty good too, until they weren't. I'm not saying West Coast can't keep Victorians but I'd surprised if they weren't a little nervous seeing good stable clubs see players come back home.

As for the idea of Allen being a midfielder, I'd be surprised if he did become one, given I don't think he's played there enough in his junior career to really develop into one.

Brisbane were pretty good too, until they weren't. I'm not saying West Coast can't keep Victorians but I'd surprised if they weren't a little nervous seeing good stable clubs see players come back home.

As for the idea of Allen being a midfielder, I'd be surprised if he did become one, given I don't think he's played there enough in his junior career to really develop into one.

Still defies logic. As you say Allen isnt a mid. Eagles do have some Vic mids but the Eagles forwards are WA lads.

Gaff is a winger and may move next year, Allen isnt a winger either.

Shuey and Venables contracted to 2020.

Equally been lots of blokes who are slow but find a heap of the footy who don't make it.

I have seen Powell a bit and I know his talents but I just think he will make it through to the rookie list. What is your view on Brendan Myers. I struggled leaving him out.
I think with Stein and Shipley they are project players, Powell and Myers are pure footballers. They dont have to teach them the game just give both the opportunity to build AFL standard fitness and bodies. These 2 can move the ball by foot better than most in this draft.

Quite liked the Ben Miller selection at 42.

Very mobile for such a big fella and a lovely kick. Has he been shoe horned into the ruck and not played as a KPF much?

Great hands and nicely weighted hand balls coming out.
Could be a perfect foil for Darcy if he shows some competency as a forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoop, great work as always. I was wondering if you could do a quick list of where you rank the players? Say a top 30 or so?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back