AFL 7`s coming Internationally?

Remove this Banner Ad

GR is grassroots.

The AFL might think 7 a-side, overseas full contact games on soccer grounds are easier to organise, & offer better growth opportunities, than Footy 9's (body contact games overseas).
I think 7 a-side full contact games would be VERY tiring (bumping/tackling/blocking expends energy- there is also a lot of running in these games on small grounds, "no where to hide, rest in a pocket for a while"). This is confirmed by the VFL players -although interchange is allowed (assuming foreign teams can find more than 7 players).

AFL’s international growth the X-factor in Australian sport
  • The Australian
  • 12:00AM August 16, 2017
  • Save

• PATRICK SMITH

Senior sports commentator
    Melbourne
    @Smithersss
    c13c49d306daac5cf308d8d40c19f84c
There is no doubt now that Australian rugby officials have some sort of special gift. One they don’t share with a small but steady band of this nation’s sport officials.

The AFL is considering an Australian side playing against a team made up of Irish players who now play in the league as a curtain raiser to international Tests. Any shortfall of Irish players could be topped up from the international squad.

This is the AFL’s best vehicle yet to take the game abroad. It is also the best format to challenge the summer dominance of cricket’s Twenty20.

And there would be nothing sweeter for the AFL than to take its game to the world on the back of soccer fields. That’s an own goal of particular piquancy.
AFL’s international growth the X-factor in Australian sport

Broadcasters attracted to AFL’S answer to Twenty20
It’s still a work-in-progress with no fixture and a half notion about its raison d’etre, but the AFL’s answer to T20 cricket, AFLX, is already raising interest from broadcasters.

The modified rules competition, which is a chance to be trialled by the AFL early next season, is partly aimed at spreading the game into local territories where there are not enough football grounds and possibly aspires to taking Australian football to that elusive international audience.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said last week the league was in consultation with clubs and other stakeholders about the future shape of AFLX.

“We would like to put an AFLX weekend in prior to the JLT Community Series, and I think that had support from the clubs and I am confident that will happen,” McLachlan said after a two-day meeting with club CEOs last week.

“We’ve got to finalise that and we have to work with broadcasters and sponsors on the final configuration of the JLT. If it is two or three games we would still be doing something with AFLX.’’
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...0/news-story/6b9280e0082094900a2a08ec2096b6dc

As another poster on here said if it does go offshore and there is money involved the AFL will want to control it completely.
We can only ponder who in the AFL came up with the idea, and were they unhappy with the 9 a side concept that has spread far and wide offshore, or is it an opportunity to make money.
I will throw this in from left field - Live Sports on TV and on line are a huge success and the big media companies are hungry for content and are about to be joined by Amazon Video who want some of the action. Go figure. Has Gil got something up his sleeve not necessialary with Amazon - We will find out.
They say self praise is no recommendation - But reading the most recent posts on here I am not far out with the TV moguls looking for content, so am not surprised what MAY occur Internationally.
I get stuck into the AFL International Development policy money wise but in the main areas of their focus they do appear to mostly make the right decisions - On ya Gil.

Seven for seven? Network expresses interest in AFLX
Matt Thompson (AFL Media) August 17, 2017 3:28 PM

539366-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - AUGUST 10: AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan, speaks to the media during an AFL press conference at AFL House on August 10, 2017 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Robert Cianflone/Getty Images/AFL Media)

PLANS for televising the top-flight debut of AFLX are gaining momentum, with Channel Seven indicating its early interest in the concept.

Work is underway to trial the 'big bash' style of the code – a fast-paced, seven-a-side format featuring AFL-listed players on a stand-alone weekend ahead of next year's JLT Community Series.

"It sounds like the sort of thing that could work, is what I'd say," Seven chief executive Tim Worner told Mediaweek.

"We'd like to think with our relationship with the AFL there's going to be a conversation about it," he said.

"If you want these things to work you've got to have the right free-to-air partner.

"We've proven we can build things with the AFL before.

"AFL (with) any letter on the end of it, is something that we'd be interested in talking to the AFL about."

Asked last week about the prospect of AFLX being televised AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan responded, "I hope so," before adding, "we haven't had those discussions."

Seven for seven? Network expresses interest in AFLX
Matt Thompson (AFL Media) August 17, 2017 3:28 PM

539366-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - AUGUST 10: AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan, speaks to the media during an AFL press conference at AFL House on August 10, 2017 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Robert Cianflone/Getty Images/AFL Media)

PLANS for televising the top-flight debut of AFLX are gaining momentum, with Channel Seven indicating its early interest in the concept.

Work is underway to trial the 'big bash' style of the code – a fast-paced, seven-a-side format featuring AFL-listed players on a stand-alone weekend ahead of next year's JLT Community Series.

"It sounds like the sort of thing that could work, is what I'd say," Seven chief executive Tim Worner told Mediaweek.

"We'd like to think with our relationship with the AFL there's going to be a conversation about it," he said.

"If you want these things to work you've got to have the right free-to-air partner.

"We've proven we can build things with the AFL before.

"AFL (with) any letter on the end of it, is something that we'd be interested in talking to the AFL about."

Asked last week about the prospect of AFLX being televised AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan responded, "I hope so," before adding, "we haven't had those discussions."

AFLX moves closer to being introduced sometime next February in Melbourne according to this article.

The comment below from Gil is about the 3rd time he has talked about taking it maybe Internationally.
As quoted " "We think we can take it internationally, we think we can do different things and have a bit of a different look of our game that actually says we have a different product that will suit a different audience – or might be good for a weekend."
Ch7 is still interested it appears.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-31/im-not-allowed-to-talk-about-aflx-mclachlan

AFLX moves closer to being introduced sometime next February in Melbourne according to this article.

The comment below from Gil is about the 3rd time he has talked about taking it maybe Internationally.
As quoted " "We think we can take it internationally, we think we can do different things and have a bit of a different look of our game that actually says we have a different product that will suit a different audience – or might be good for a weekend."
Ch7 is still interested it appears.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-31/im-not-allowed-to-talk-about-aflx-mclachlan

This article from the AFL Website takes a somewhat critical look at the AFLX concept, especially with the US media giants now prowling the world looking for sports broadcasting opportunities for the social media world -18y to 45y.
We think it is quite remarkable all the focus on a Footy product that has not been publicly revealed yet, which may or may not be accepted.
The answer if it is a goer = The AFL and interested commercial parties should sponsor matches in selected International locations, with TV cover.
It has to start somewhere.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-25/the-x-factor-will-afls-new-concept-work

This article from the AFL Website takes a somewhat critical look at the AFLX concept, especially with the US media giants now prowling the world looking for sports broadcasting opportunities for the social media world -18y to 45y.
We think it is quite remarkable all the focus on a Footy product that has not been publicly revealed yet, which may or may not be accepted.
The answer if it is a goer = The AFL and interested commercial parties should sponsor matches in selected International locations, with TV cover.
It has to start somewhere.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-25/the-x-factor-will-afls-new-concept-work
If they can get the right commercial sponsors and tv deals then it could be a good foot in the door around the world. But if they do go for it, hopefully they put their best foot forward and don't do it half arsed. I can't see it working, but would be happy to see it work.

If they can get the right commercial sponsors and tv deals then it could be a good foot in the door around the world. But if they do go for it, hopefully they put their best foot forward and don't do it half arsed. I can't see it working, but would be happy to see it work.

I see it as rugby7s or even IRS, that is entertainment that has a certain attraction but not as an alternative sport.
i.e. a fill-in until the major attraction arrives.

Just found some AFLX Threads on the opening page of the Big Footy forum.
There is a thread where the fans are picking their Clubs 7 best players to compete in February.

Found these statements from AFL House on AFLX which include the mention of taking it International as an alternative to the traditional game, because of non existent oval grounds.

AFL General Manager of Game Development Andrew Dillon said the confirmation of AFLX was the first step in the launch of the alternative version of the traditional game.

"AFLX has been created to provide us with the options to play a form of the game in places where oval grounds are limited and to showcase our game internationally at a point in the future," Mr Dillon said.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL Geelong footy Club has recently trialled the AFLX game.
The idea of taking it overseas is discussed again in the article, and that idea refuses to go away, despite all the naysayers.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-20/sick-dangerfield-misses-cats-aflx-trial

Note--- The short Video did not work on my computer so clicked on the Twitter logo and it worked.
First time we have seen AFLX actually played.

Last edited:
The idea of taking it overseas is discussed again in the article, and that idea refuses to go away, despite all the naysayers.

"taking it overseas". It's not in Australia yet. You cannot take something you don't have.
There has been no clear indication how this is supposed to happen.
Many people were thinking trickle down from high profile television coverage.
Why would you try and sell AFLX, which is a product made for AFL players
when people are very happy playing AF9s which is a product for Australian Football players.
Not so long ago you could find footy tragic decrying AF9s as not "real" football.
If AFLX is supremely popular and is shown internationally then I can see locals playing AFX then probably moving to AF9s and then 18-a-side.
I cannot see many moving in the opposite direction because there is no need to change a.t.m.

"taking it overseas". It's not in Australia yet. You cannot take something you don't have.
There has been no clear indication how this is supposed to happen.
Many people were thinking trickle down from high profile television coverage.
Why would you try and sell AFLX, which is a product made for AFL players
when people are very happy playing AF9s which is a product for Australian Football players.
Not so long ago you could find footy tragic decrying AF9s as not "real" football.
If AFLX is supremely popular and is shown internationally then I can see locals playing AFX then probably moving to AF9s and then 18-a-side.
I cannot see many moving in the opposite direction because there is no need to change a.t.m.

Fortunately the AFL gets to say what happens to this format not you.

Fortunately the AFL gets to say what happens to this format not you.

WTF ?
I hope AFLX is a resounding success but YOU have to realise the facts.
We have Australian Football from 18s down to 9s played around the world because they have come in contact
with Australian Football directly, indirectly or by watching television.
For AFLX to be taken up in numbers then AFLX has to to be a resounding success and grab everybody's attention.
Again, I hope that happens, but a.t.m. there is absolutely no need for people to play AFLX. There is no precedent.
There are many variants of Australian Football suitable for varying capabilities.
AFLX is actually a backward step for o/s devotees as it is much further from AFL.
AFLX is 7-a-side solely because it's played by AFL players. Similar formats play with 9-a-side.
Hopefully AFLX can generate it's own devotees.
The SANFL is running it's own 9-a-side competition that sounds more in tune with O/S demands.
Why don't you ask the SANFL why they chose the 9s path and not AFLX.

WTF ?
I hope AFLX is a resounding success but YOU have to realise the facts.
We have Australian Football from 18s down to 9s played around the world because they have come in contact
with Australian Football directly, indirectly or by watching television.
For AFLX to be taken up in numbers then AFLX has to to be a resounding success and grab everybody's attention.
Again, I hope that happens, but a.t.m. there is absolutely no need for people to play AFLX. There is no precedent.
There are many variants of Australian Football suitable for varying capabilities.
AFLX is actually a backward step for o/s devotees as it is much further from AFL.
AFLX is 7-a-side solely because it's played by AFL players. Similar formats play with 9-a-side.
Hopefully AFLX can generate it's own devotees.
The SANFL is running it's own 9-a-side competition that sounds more in tune with O/S demands.
Why don't you ask the SANFL why they chose the 9s path and not AFLX.

I will contact Mr Dillon at AFL House and tell him to come and read your comments, so that he can decide that on your comments alone that it is waste of time proceeding with AFLX, because only AFL players can play it.
Look RED anytime the AFL talks about possibly sponsoring with dollars a new format like AFLX overseas we will take it.

Look RED anytime the AFL talks about possibly sponsoring with dollars a new format like AFLX overseas we will take it.

Where has the AFL said that ?
What part of "I hope AFLX is a resounding success" don't you understand ?
What part of there are many existing forms of Australian football on small grounds that you don't appreciate ?
Enlighten me. What can the AFL do with AFLX w.r.t. O/S grassroots that it couldn't do with any existing format.
Again, I hope AFLX is a resounding success but I don't see any direct flow onto existing grassroots O/S.
Again, if AFLX is a resounding success it will attract new devotees.

Have just checked out numerous articles about AFLX but could not find the actual quote from Gil about possibly sponsoring with dollars International Comps.
Found more footage videos on the 3 internal team Geelong AFLX trial, but not able to post here.
I do not care much about what happens domestically to our game overall because it has millions of fans etc etc and is in good shape and still expanding, with the addition of the AFLW, which will bring thousands of new supporters.
However whenever I spot the word "International" associated with our game I get interested.
We recommend go back through this thread and read the posting from Bigbrain in the USA, who looks at the concept from an International angle.

So what's it doing on the international board? Shouldn't here be an AFLX section ?
It is obvious that you dont like/hate the AFLX concept and it has not even been played yet.
We intend to continue posting AFLX just in case it gets moved offshore, which may or may not happen, and read the title of the thread again, and fully comprehend what it says.
Why dont you write to the AFL CEO protesting about this new concept, you can do that under our democratic rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back