Richmond 2017 v Ross Lyon's Saints & Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Quality home and away I won’t argue that has bias on my part but there is no doubt the quality and competitiveness of the 2016 finals was so far above 2017 they don’t compare.

Think two different things are getting conflated here, style of finals play vs closeness of finals. The winning team isn't responsible for the lack of competitiveness of the loser.

Have to wonder whether, had the GF played out as expected, so many would be perceiving that there was something wrong.

Quality home and away I won’t argue that has bias on my part but there is no doubt the quality and competitiveness of the 2016 finals was so far above 2017 they don’t compare.

how would you know when you openly admitted in another thread that you hardly watched any footy the past 2 years?

flog

I’d argue that the 2017 finals were so uncompetitive because we were so dominant. And since every year clubs choose from the same talent, and it’s not really the fault of the clubs if the talent is shallow, your level of dominance really indicates how well your list was built and used.
Exactly everyone seems to forget the dominance exerted. Any EFC or HFC fans want to dispute your GF floggings in the 80's and now the clearly diminished teams that they were? FFS!

The Tigers have done this before: Obliterated oppo in finals in 69 and 80 after not finishing top.
But were proven to be untouchable when it mattered as we have done in 2017.
It was a throwback flag success, very reminiscent of the old days and we are despised again.
And Loving It.

Take the tiger bias out you actually think that finals series was quality and enjoyable to watch?

No hurt here ive said 10000 tines you blokes were the best easy but that doesn’t mean it was good to watch for neutrals.

When most at the party I was at stop watching at half time coz it’s over and sh!t that say something
Do you remember the 90’s? One sided grand final after one sided grand final. I don’t think of the 94 eagles team or 95 Carlton team as not great ones because they beat a poor opposition.

Do you remember the 90’s? One sided grand final after one sided grand final. I don’t think of the 94 eagles team or 95 Carlton team as not great ones because they beat a poor opposition.

You didn’t just compare the 2017 tigers to the 1995 blues did u?

One of the greatest teams in modern footy there is no comparison

You didn’t just compare the 2017 tigers to the 1995 blues did u?

One of the greatest teams in modern footy there is no comparison
You are saying the finals were no good cause it was one sided, pretty sure Carlton’s 95 finals series was one sided as well. And no I’m not saying Richmond 2017 is as good as Carlton 95 yet, the blues did only win 1 flag however. Let’s see how this Richmond team finish in a few years.

You are saying the finals were no good cause it was one sided, pretty sure Carlton’s 95 finals series was one sided as well. And no I’m not saying Richmond 2017 is as good as Carlton 95 yet, the blues did only win 1 flag however. Let’s see how this Richmond team finish in a few years.

That blues team for one year was nearly unbearable

20-2 record

They took the piss against the lions and it nearly cost them then blew away North and the cats

Regardless quality they played the are in the 5 best teams I’ve ever seen. The 2017 tigers for a single year as a whole aren’t in the top 15

As you say time may change that (I don’t think it will as I’ve said many times) but comparing those 2 teams and years isn’t even close mate and with respect not many teams are

And I didn’t say the finals were bad purely due to one sided games I saidthe quality was awful also. Go back and watch just the footy played in the Cats/tigers game it was at times very poor. And don’t argue pressure it’s finals supposed to be the best of the best even the tigers weren’t clean.

Personally I hate the whole 'only won one flag' argument.

Collingwood 2010-2011 were one of the most fearsome sides I've ever seen. They sucked the oxygen out of games and left their opponents for dead. They only won one flag, but that doesn't make them a lesser side than Geelong and Hawthorn of the same time period, just more short lived.

Personally I hate the whole 'only won one flag' argument.

Collingwood 2010-2011 were one of the most fearsome sides I've ever seen. They sucked the oxygen out of games and left their opponents for dead. They only won one flag, but that doesn't make them a lesser side than Geelong and Hawthorn of the same time period, just more short lived.
If you are comparing one season against one season no doubt, if you are comparing time periods than of course teams that win multiple flags are considered greater. Hence the lions, cats and hawthorn teams of the last 16 years are considered some of the best teams to have played.

That blues team for one year was nearly unbearable

20-2 record

They took the piss against the lions and it nearly cost them then blew away North and the cats

Regardless quality they played the are in the 5 best teams I’ve ever seen. The 2017 tigers for a single year as a whole aren’t in the top 15

As you say time may change that (I don’t think it will as I’ve said many times) but comparing those 2 teams and years isn’t even close mate and with respect not many teams are

And I didn’t say the finals were bad purely due to one sided games I saidthe quality was awful also. Go back and watch just the footy played in the Cats/tigers game it was at times very poor. And don’t argue pressure it’s finals supposed to be the best of the best even the tigers weren’t clean.
Depends what you like, I love high pressure, bone crunching tackles and not giving opposition teams the chance to breath which is what the tiges brought to every final. Do you think it was a coincidence that each of our finals pretty much followed the same script? Richmond smashed the other teams into submission, this wasn’t poor footy this was one of the most dominant September campaigns displayed for many years.

18 clubs all just got incredibly s**t over one preseason. They must have been drinking all summer instead of training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Tigers have done this before: Obliterated oppo in finals in 69 and 80 after not finishing top.
But were proven to be untouchable when it mattered as we have done in 2017.
It was a throwback flag success, very reminiscent of the old days and we are despised again.
And Loving It.

1921 - finished 2nd, flogged Geelong in first final, won flag with unchanged side in three finals
-- 48 years --
1969 - finished 4th, flogged Geelong in first final, won flag with unchanged side in three finals
-- 48 years --
2017 - finished 3rd, flogged Geelong in first final, won flag with unchanged side in three finals

1921 - finished 2nd, flogged Geelong in first final, won flag with unchanged side in three finals
-- 48 years --
1969 - finished 4th, flogged Geelong in first final, won flag with unchanged side in three finals
-- 48 years --
2017 - finished 3rd, flogged Geelong in first final, won flag with unchanged side in three finals
See you in 2065.

I wonder if Ross Lyon's saints can win a flag this time around. They have a good system but lack star power.

I wonder if Ross Lyon's saints can win a flag this time around. They have a good system but lack star power.
They are a chance.

Funny thing was in their 2009 and 2010 saints grand final sides, the saints had at least one Premiership player on each of those sides.

2009 had 2007 cats premiership ruckman Steven king.

2010 saints side had 2005 premiership swan Adam Schneider.

Saints have Brad Hill who played in 3 hawks flags

They are a chance.

Funny thing was in their 2009 and 2010 saints grand final sides, the saints had at least one Premiership player on each of those sides.

2009 had 2007 cats premiership ruckman Steven king.

2010 saints side had 2005 premiership swan Adam Schneider.

Saints have Brad Hill who played in 3 hawks flags
And Sean Dempster

Remove this Banner Ad

Back